BMW Soft Bag 2....opinions?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Blink74, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Blink74

Blink74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the BMW soft bag 2? My Marsee tank bag broke late last season and I'm thinking of getting the soft bag replace it. I have always had a tank bag to carry small day to day things (cell, water, maps, liners, snacks, ect.) I do a lot of off road riding on my GS and wonder how well the tail pack will hold up. thats how the tank bag got broke. With just two straps holding it on, I wonder will it be secure enough? Also, how durable is it?
  2. grpweld

grpweld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be watching this, as I have the same questions
  3. bikecat

bikecat Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Blink74

Blink74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see a review like that for the BMW soft case.
  5. GSDonovan

GSDonovan There and back again

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about the "Sport 2 Softbag large"? Or the small? Or? I just got the large Sport 2 Softbag in the large size last week. I wanted a single waterproof tailbag with a shoulder strap to commute to work in every day. I had been using my panniers, but I had to take off one side case every day before storing my bike in the shed, so it was a bit of a pain in the butt. It was also a pain to have to unload my work stuff and clothes from separate containers and carry it all in every morning...hard to swipe my ID badge when my hands were full. With this single softbag, I can use the shoulder strap to easily carry all my work stuff (laptop, food, diabetic crap) and my gently folded work clothes with minimum hassle. Its working great for that purpose. Its HUGE...I think you could easily pack for an extended weekend trip using just that bag only. It feels very well made and solid...I love that it holds its shape when empty. This was an important feature for me as I wanted to keep my dress clothes from getting wrinkled on the way into work. Its held very securely to my GSA using 4 nylon straps that snap onto connectors on the bag...I have no worries about it coming off. They conveniently give you a bunch of nylon straps of various sizes to allow you to pick what fits your particular setup. The bottom of the bag is U shaped to fit over the passenger seat....its not a 100% perfect fit on the back...that is, its not like it was solely made to fit the particular contours of the GSA, but it fits nicely enough. Again, I have no worries that it will come off. For the standard GS, there are pockets on the bottom that allow it to slide over the luggage rack for an even more secure fit. It fits other BMW models as well according to the huge instruction book that comes with it.

I haven't tested it in the rain yet, so I can't attest to its water-proofness, but its supposed to keep your stuff dry.
  6. grpweld

grpweld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice review GSDONOVAN !
  7. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    a friend has the small softbag 2 on his RT and it looks good and is well made. Not sure it would look as good on a GS though. stop by your dealer and ask to take it out and put it on your bike to see how it looks..that's what my friend did. I'm looking for something a little bit sleeker looking and black that I can mount on the pillion seat or rear rack as well. Right now I ride with top case all the time, but am not crazy about the looks of it and so for short rides where I don't need much space, I'd prefer something less bulky.
  8. yellowbirdrs

yellowbirdrs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did a US round trip last year from Ags, MX more than 20k miles sun, rain, heavy winds, ride 100 miles in Tropical Storm Arlene last June and all I can say is a great little bag not a single drop of water get into my stuff easy to attach/remove.
    It has a blue nylon waterproof inbag just like the ADV tankbag also have 2 side pockets (WP) as well and a top bag that is (WR) but not (WP) actually it has a little air vent to allows exit any humidity in the bag perfect for wet gloves or towel, also have an expendable zipper to raise 2-3 inches great for those late check-in at the road motels when you don't want to remove all the panniers.
    One more function is: when you are riding solo it's a great drivers backrest.
    Bad Lands
    [​IMG]
    getting ready for late camp somewhere between Canyonslands, UT on my way to Grand Junction, CO
    [​IMG]
  9. tvolk

tvolk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Kayaker

Kayaker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the large version on my GS and I love it. GSDonavan did a good and accurate review. I would add that the straps to which the bag is mounted can be attached to your bike and left in place. All I need to do is throw the bag on the tail rack, click 4 straps and off I go - 30 seconds max. I have had other tail bags and top cases and so far, this is my favorite and it looks cool, IMHO.
  11. Bill seaman

Bill seaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use one on my GS and love it for traveling . The bag will hold my Arai when parking the bike . Easy tgot ale on and off. This GS bag replaced a hard case.. Nice bag going to put one on my wifes new F650 GS befor summer.
  12. PanhandleChuck

PanhandleChuck 3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer:
    I have the OEM BMW small bag. I don't leave it on the bike, but when I do put it to use, it works very well.[​IMG]
  13. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Panhandle, does the BMW small bag bottom pocket slip over your GSA luggage rack or did you strap it down to it?
  14. Androclese

Androclese n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought the small one for an upcoming trip. I find it seemingly well made, but was very disappointed to find it was made in China. For the money it should be made in Germany at least.Had I known at the time, I would have purchased a different product. I am hopeful that it will do its job on the road, and will post about it's performance.
  15. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    You seriously expected it was made in Germany? China is not what it used to be and can make some very high quality products...got an iPhone or Mac?
  16. Androclese

Androclese n00b

Oddometer:
    No, I don't. I avoid Chinese products whenever I can, and for a variety of reasons. But its here, so I'll let you all know how it does, if it does well, it can stay. if not, I'll post pics of it in flames :)
  17. PanhandleChuck

PanhandleChuck 3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer:
    Mike,
    It's strapped down, comes with two sets of four staps in different adjustable links. The typical male/female two piece type that are quick disconnect, so you leave half of the four on the bike while lodging, then just snap the rear bag back in place. I've used the bag on some real long hauls over 18 days in all types of weather, no complaints.

r//Chuck
  18. Androclese

Androclese n00b

Oddometer:
    I rode 650 miles today, got rained on through Kentucky, and some in Chicago. The softbag stayed securely in place, but was not much for water proof. all compartments had water intrusion to some degree.(everything needed a ride in the dryer) Put your stuff in a big ziploc bag first, then you should be okay. Jury is still out on this item
  19. badbs101

badbs101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1

Yup, sadly BMW bags are made in China. My BMW tank bag is made in China too. The quality is very good but you can get just as good for less. Wolfman luggage is made in the USA; high quality and a little cheaper than the BMW China stuff.
  20. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got one----bought it at a discount on eBay. I also have the previous generation 51L BMW bag and like it so decided to give the small bag a try for my trip to the Dragon, north on the BRP and back.

As far as attachment to my GSA stock rack----it's cinched down solid as a rock. Using the short straps provided and the 4 quick release clips makes it easy to pop off and bring inside the hotel.

I'm heading up to the mountains tomorrow:clap......I'm sure I'll see some rain and will report how the bag does.