Unexpected Lust: 2008 KTM 990 Superduke

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by neduro, Sep 23, 2009.

1. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're part of the problem! We stood there under the tent and I was deliberating and I recall you saying how much you liked yours... :lol3
  2. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I love those bikes; early ones are becoming affordable. I daren't test ride one :D
  3. Playa Shark

Playa Shark High Desert Prowler

Oddometer:
    Ned,

Check out the motohooligan airbox on superduke.net http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7113 and http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8333 as well as the PCIII. In my humble opinion they are worth the $$$ and a perfect combination with the aftermarket pipe. Definitely added significant torque to my bike.

Also, and I don't need to tell you this, do the trackdays. What a blast on the SD.:ricky :super Keeps me out of trouble for the most part and will hopefully avoid my children becoming orphans if I don't stop riding like a hooligan on the street.

P.S. Have you taken the tank off yet? More importantly have you tried to reinsert the main bolt? My advice is to read the thread on that on superduke.net before you do. I thought they were overstating the issue until I tried to put the tank back on. Here is a start, although not the main thread on the issue. http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9523 Not really that difficult if you have two burly dudes to align the tank so as to not cross thread the nut/bolt, but very tough/impossible if you try it yourself.
  4. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    First upgrade: A set of Leo Vince Slipons:

[​IMG]

Really nicely made and sound great. A touch on the noisy side, I may see about baffle options.

While I was at it, I pulled the undertail just to make things a little simpler back there:

[​IMG]

Second upgrade: a Kaoko Throttle Lock. Easiest part to install I've ever seen (literally one bolt with no adjustment required), functions beautifully, and very solid feeling. I find these help me shift positions a lot on longer rides.

Next up: Mirrors. The stock ones suck functionally and I don't like how they look either. I'm thinking a set of the trick ones I've seen on Ducatis... anyone have advice on what I should get?

[​IMG]
  5. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    :lol3 So I'm not the only one. I've ridden an SD about three times now and every time I swear, swear I will own one. I truly love the bike but my problem is the follow-on conversation I have that talks me out of it. I really should STFU and get one.

Congratulations :thumb
  6. TreeAPE

TreeAPE n00b

Oddometer:
    I own a 07 duke also. Bought it new in 07 and have no intentions of selling it. Love it, best street bike i've owned. Not as fast as my zx10 (sold), but plenty fast enough, and feels fast. Isn't it all about how it feels? Good choice
  7. High_Side

High_Side Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any pics from straight on the side? I've been looking for a set for my Duke and haven't been able to find any that actually looked as good as the stock set-up. This, looks promising.
  8. omnivore

omnivore SuperSportTourer

Oddometer:
    Ilove the SD...but also ride on extended trips and can only afford to have one streetbike. Has anyone adapted or found a decentwindscreen that gives some semblance of wind/weather protection? Even if it were a windscreen that can be put on for longer rides then removed again for short ones or daily use.
  9. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did 430 miles today on the superduke. if you get the ktm tank bag it blocks ALOT of wind off your torso. only you head will be exposed.
  10. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Weee!
  11. Playa Shark

Playa Shark High Desert Prowler

Oddometer:
    I have not seen a decent touring windscreen in my search. I adapted the KTM "touring" screen by bolting on the stock one for wind blast protection while crouched over, but it is only suffcient for that. Although it does reduce the direct wind significantly and only adds slight buffeting. Okay rating. I have done multiple 400+ mile days and don't mind much at normal highway speeds. On the track at 125mph+ you notice it. If you find something else I would love to hear.

Have you checked out the Rizoma mirrors?http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=265 Here is the one I like if it weren't so damn expensive.[​IMG]

Real nice tail set up. You can get away with that? Where are the turn signals?
  12. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Ned. Your point #5 is what keeps me gravitating toward the SD. I love the feel and sound of the LC8 platform.

Is it as strong through the low- and mid-range as the SE?

Seat time is what I need. I'm able to talk myself out of it repeatedly because I haven't been able to spend much time on one. The one I have ridden had only several hundred miles on it, and was basically still set up as it came out of the crate (as in, not). You wouldn't believe how poorly it handled. The bike's owner was immediately more comfortable in the twisties on my SE w/Scorps, if that tells you anything. It just needed some suspension adjustment.
  13. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I know what you mean, most aren't as finished or integrated looking.

If you do want Leo's, drop me an email, I may have a line on a set for a good price.
  14. MotoSteve

MotoSteve Functioning Motard

Oddometer:
  15. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rizoma stuff looks nice! I'll dig around some more, I've always been impressed with the functionality of the bar end mirrors so I'm thinking along those lines.

Turn signals not required in CO, and not sure if I can but have so far. I just couldn't stomach that giant dangly turd hanging off the back.
  16. omnivore

Oddometer:
    I think an 04 GSXR 1000 double bubble screen or an MRA touring screen could be adapted to the SD with some trimming and inventive mounting. It would look okay and offer way more wind protection.

Ijust read an article today that has me pondering the SD as next mount instead of a Tiger.
  17. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good...question....the real anwer is it doesn't really matter as they are both beasts....big....bad....beasts...

but.....

The SE provides that killer motard riding postion that just feels so right... not to mention it lends to that weird look on the face of squids as you pass them on the outside....I loved mine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the downside is the brakes (even upgraded) and the suspension just don't measure up...

Then there is the power of the SD...in my case 130+hp at the wheel for the tuned SDR...

[​IMG]

In the end the SD is a streetbike.....so it gets the nod.....
  18. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    Neduro, congrats on the purchase, picked up a new 07 in May from my dealer.
    I like you made the mistake of taking a test ride after test riding a fairly new Speed Triple he had taken on trade.

I was all set to buy the Triple but he made me ride the SD also since it was his favorite ride. that's all it took, never made a decision that quickly in all my life.

Those Leo's look good on the bike.

I went with the FMF since I really dug how they looked, unfortunately they are pretty damn loud even with the restrictors in the front.
    the mufflers are so short on this bike they seem to all be pretty noisy.
    the stock exhaust puts out a lot of heat in the summertime.

I hadn't been to a trackday since I quit racing, it was a great time and is even better on the track. what seems a bit stiff on the street is perfect for the track.
    best brakes of any bike I have ridden, outbraked a lot of people with ease.
    tried some Bridgestone BT-016's at the track, the worked great.

As mentioned the front tank bolt is a real pain in the ass.:baldy

Here's a picture of mine with the FMF's mounted.
    I want to get a fender eliminator and clean up the rear look this winter.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. omnivore

Oddometer:
    Those FMF's look right at home on such an angular piece of machinery!
  20. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    That's why I picked them, they match the lines of the bike perfectly.
    it was a toss up between them and the Leo's the Akras from KTM are pretty pricey.