Note to self:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coppertop, Oct 30, 2008.

1. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BTDT. :bluduh I had to beg Murgadaughter for her nail polish remover, and you know how teenagers like to see their parents in awkward situations. :bluduh Now I have a LARGE can of acetone within reach.
  2. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    After checking the air filter on your brand new bike, make sure the tennis ball hanging from the ceiling (you know, the one that tells you how far to pull the car into the garage...) is not caught up in the handlebars before you roll the bike off the center stand.

It will pull the screw out of the ceiling with enough force to not only chip the paint down to the metal on your brand new tank, but actually put a small dent in it :bluduh.

I really should have kicked the thing over in the parking lot at the dealership.
  3. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just have this mental image of a movie ricochet noise!
  4. Charlie_819

Charlie_819 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remember to replace oil filler on your motorcycle before starting your bike and blowing oil all over your wifes garden and the front of your house...:eek1
  5. Bob_M

Bob_M Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never try to solder several wires just barely twisted together in your underwear.

The wires will absolutely come untwisted and accurately catapult hot liquid solder into your lap and it will burn through your skiivies in 4 milliseconds then on to the very end of the most sensitive appendage on your body.

I have done this just once.

Then try explaining the red marks to GF.
  6. husqvarna

husqvarna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Super Glue reminds me of a holiday gem. My son is home and goes diving for crayfish and stupidly gets tagged on the palm of his hand by an eel leaving a 50mm long cut that needs stitches. But he's gung ho 20's, we're due to go away to the game reserve and he's been super glued up after hitting a reef body boarding in Hawaii (by professionals though). So he buys the Super Glue and tells me to apply. I tell him to hold the cut together. You can see where this is going. He ends up with holding finger glued to hand. After a suitable ha, he we realise that there's no way we can apply nail polish remover etc next to this cut (although it was tempting to try and see the resulting crack high behaviour). So he had to pull the finger off which messed up the glue job. Cut a long storey short, we went away with bandages and pain killer. To the proper doctor after the few days holidays for cutting away dead skin and proper stitching. Very sore he told me.

Ah, youth. Note to self - glue wounds at your own peril!

To motor cycles - a fellow worker informed me that an acquantaince had his KTM 525 on a dodgy hydraulic lift that gradually let itself down overnight. Sadly the fellow had a tie down hanging next to the bike which somehow hooked the wiring harness and plucked it out of the afore-mentioned motorcycle. Very bad language resulted.
  7. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Dont strap the bike to the base frame of your brand new bike lift and activate the hydraulics, you will have to send your new lift straight back for repairs:D
  8. Pugsley/Hobbfather

Pugsley/Hobbfather Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still finding it difficult to remove the mental image of one cocooning one's hands and project inside one's underwear while soldering...or just wires twisted together in your underwear...:norton

9. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
  10. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Always have a spare motorcycle key with you if you are going on a long trip. Otherwise, you won't be stuck in the middle of Moose Fart, Montana, when your key suddenly gets lost at a gas station. I never did find that key. :scratch

[Fortunately, I anticipated this disaster scenario, and brought a second key. I still don't have any idea how or why that key got lost while I was getting gas.]
  11. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fixed, no charge :D
  12. MagyarMan

MagyarMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a machinist apprentice running an engine lathe I kept smelling burnt toast until the hot chip burnt through my hair to my scalp.----Wear your baseball cap at all times.

Another time I got a hot chip on my lip and when I tried to pull it off I burnt my finger tips--No win situation!
  13. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    I keep a spare ignition key buried in my top box, and a spare top box key wrapped to a wiring harness with electrical tape. The wad of electrical tape hiding the spare top box key is pretty much invisible.
  14. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    So doesn't that mean you can clearly see the key? :lol3
  15. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:

Yes, because the key is transparent, too. :D
  16. Bob_M

Bob_M Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK a little better description of my dumbass soldering spill.....

It was about 95 degrees & 99.9% humidity in my workroom at the time. I was installing a Pioneer Super Tuner car stereo into a Bensi box at the time and was soldering the wires together. I had it perched on the very edge of my workbench while sitting in front of and just below the wires that were laid out over the edge of the bench....You know the rest.

Yes, it burned me just like you can imagine.

17. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Long timer

Oddometer:
    1. If you are using a 1/2" drive "prop rod" to hold up the back of the tank on your VFR and it knocks loose, check the fuel petcock when you are done.

2. When said VFR (that always runs like a champ) seems a bit lean the next morning going down the driveway, TURN AROUND. DO NOT proceed to the end of the street where it WILL promptly stall.

3. Jogging said VFR 1/2 mile home UPHILL is a better work out than the 2 mile walk you were too lazy to get up for that morning.
  18. Pugsley/Hobbfather

Pugsley/Hobbfather Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When pulling the tank to wire in your new auxilairy lights, remember to reattach the fuel lines before you take it out for a nice night ride to test the new lights...which don't give you any light under the tank when you're wondering why you ain't gettin' any gas...
  19. Mat

Mat Tosser

Oddometer:
    Check the direction arrow on the tire BEFORE putting it on the rim.

damn. Happens at least twice a year to me.
  20. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't put your motorcycle on a plastic bucket as a stand. The bucket crumpled on me when I was turned around to the tool box. Need new mirrors and a clutch perch. Almost landed on my car lol