Need a more aggressive tire in 17"

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JBruyet, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    In my opinion only the rear Heidenau is superior in grip to the TKC80 under nearly all conditions. I also think that the front and rear Heidenau are superior in grip on bitumen to the TKC80, including in the wet. The K60's last a long time (to be honest I don't think they will go that much longer than the Continentals for me ... YMMV) but they aren't all that "hard".

The rear is a great tyre, the front is a bit like a cross between a battlewing and a TKC80 or Dunlop 606. The front isn't that aggressive offroad and I would prefer a TKC80, but it is good on road and is very stable at high speeds. Its just a matter of priorities.
  2. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
  3. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    Thank you Griz ... and now the words of the famous (perhaps infamous, with his photos of Russian tottie :knary) Walter Colebatch of Siberia extreme fame ... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602168 when asked about the K60's

"I can tell you now, Heidenau K60s or Mefo Super Explorers are very very good adventure tyres in my opinion ... the best all round tyres. They will give you 12,000- 15,000 km (tho I have heard of up to 25,000 km) of life, they are very good on bad asphalt and gravel roads. The combination of good wear and good performance on gravel is hard to beat.

For a more concentrated off road experience like Mongolia or proper off road riding when on a long trip, that's when I reckon the Michelin Desert is the business. For everything else, I am a fan of the Heidenau / Mefo stuff."
  4. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    We just mounted new K60's and the dealer asked why we were changing them when there was so much tread left....mine had 18570 KM. We did it because the bikes were there but the service manager as well as others said on my bike I had at least another 4000KM left. Now that is a good investment!
  5. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    I did like the TKC rear because I found it slid a lot but predictably on gravel. The Mitas E-09 is definitely more planted under the same circumstance. The Mitas is not as good on aspahlt, but I never really had a problem other than wet painted surfaces like crosswalks. I really like the Pirelli MT21 up front.

I went different this time and got a MCE Karoo in the rear. Quite the rock chucker, but it seems to be melting away fairly quick. About 2000 Km and about halfway gone.
  6. zanardi

zanardi zanardi

Oddometer:
    I have TKC 80's on my F800gs, and I've ridden about 5000km ( 3100miles )on 60/40 pavement/dirt, and the tires are holding up fine, with plenty of tread on them.. i'd recommend them for any type riding, they are stable on dirt, and on pavement at highway speeds even in pouring rain, felt safe and stable.

I have a friend with Heidenau K60's, and they are good tires too. IMO I would pick between these two, bases on availability and personal taste..

safe riding !

:drums
  7. Nictrolis

Nictrolis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 for the 140 Heidi. I was a little worried about not getting the 150, but I haven't had any problems with the ride on or off road. It's also cheaper, which is a bonus! The generally low reported mileage for the TKC put it off my list, though they look like they'd be great off road.
  8. JBruyet

JBruyet Mountain chaser

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Heidenaus (140 rear) from John at Moto Amore. I was thinking about the TKCs but I've heard so many good things about the Heidies I decided to give them a shot. I'll let everyone know how they work for me back in the boonies.

Thanks,

Joe B
  9. Mollygrubber

Mollygrubber Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer:
    I'm seem to be a little late to the party, but Michelin T63's seem pretty well regarded - and are quite inexpensive. They look a lot like TKC80's tread wise, but are slightly more street oriented. However, I see you're about to experience the Heidenau mystique - hope you like 'em.
  10. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    I have about 2000 KM on my new K60's and they look brand new...no mystique just awesome tires that enough of us have been able to trial and learn very quickly these tires last and are a great fit for the dual roadster...commuters, day trippers, cross country adventures....I think we will always have these on our bikes...for as long as we own a DS.
  11. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    about 600-700 miles on this 606. 50/50 use. Some of that at highway speeds.

[​IMG]