Cbr 125r

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klx250sfguy, Feb 26, 2013.

1. klx250sfguy

klx250sfguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, I know this is not a scooter but I thought I would pose this question to the scooterists. I noticed that Honda is selling off it's inventory of 2012 Honda CBR 125R's. These bikes normally go for around $3600 but are selling for $2300. Probably OTD for $3000 or so. They look like a sport bike but are really more of a commuter / around town kinda bike. Since the refreshening, these bikes look pretty cool. Gotta say, I am tempted. Any thoughts? I have owned all kinds of bikes, big and small. Current toys in my stable are as follows: '99 MX-5 Miata, '82 Honda C70 Passport, '85 Honda Aero 80. As far as bikes go, I like small displacement machines. More fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. As sport bikes go, the CBR 125R is gutless, but compared to what I am currently riding, it would be a good bit quicker (and a hoot on twisty coastal roads, which where I live are everywhere).

[​IMG]
  2. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    The price is dealers invoice pricing or close to it. These sell for 1500 or so used . Most are low mileage learner bikes. It will do 55 to 65 MPH with around 80 MPG pluss. I may be wrong but next to how they look they have not change much for years. MOst dealer are going to try to make cash on the add on cost of PDI , doc fees etc. 400 bucks plus depending where they are at. Don't know what honda charges dealer for frieght but I read last night it was 98 bucks for Yahama. Doc run a dealer 50 bucks there cost. The most time a dealer put into a bike 1.5 hours to pay there guys to t putting it together. Even then they are more then likely paying someone less then 35 bucks an hour to do that. This site offer the true dealer invoice price and then show MSRP. eg: honda sh 150 I MSRP 4499 , Dealer Price in 4004.00 . Most scooter have 250 to 400 bucks mark up from the real price they pay.
    <table class="models"><tbody><tr class="even"><td class="name">
    </td><td class="name">
    </td><td class="money msrp">
    </td><td class="invoice money">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>www.seedealercost.com/products/manufacturer-models/index/id/71/productCategorySlug/arall
  3. klx250sfguy

klx250sfguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Around here (St. John's, Newfoundland) used CBR's (125's) run between $1500 and $2000. The scattered time you will find one cheaper than that.

Regarding dealer fees: it is what it is. I would bargain down naturally. It's ridiculous what they charge (which is why 6 outta the 7 bikes I have bought in my life have been used). The way I look at it is this: dealers are businesses trying to make a buck in the same way we are consumers trying to save as much money as we can. The only reason why I'd look at new is because of the discounts offered on leftover stock. Makes the difference between used and new a bit closer.

Personally I like the newer look of the CBR. Not as 'toy-like' as the previous model, looks wise. Slightly wider tires and a more modern appearance. If I could find a used 2012 I'd consider that over a new 2012 (just for the savings).

All that aside, I guess what I really want to know is: what do people think of the bike itself. Fun little run-about? Anyone have one?
  4. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    We do not get that bike here, and I think it is sad since we also don't get the CBR250R and only Yamaha makes a cool small sports bike the R15 with 150 cc so it could make the competition just there since the Ninja 250 is to damm expensive (around 7,000 USD)

If you can, buy it! I read a guy who rode around Canada but several 10k miles and was fine!

Cheers amigo

Damasovi
  5. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

There is a gentleman in FLa. that has one . I think he is from Canada and lives in FLa part of the year. His name is Keith and he goes by KFSRQ on ADV. I 've read a post or two here on ADV but he is also on cbr125 forum [Canada] also. Would like one myself. They make a 125 and a 150 and the 250 versions . The 250 is the only one sold here in the US, Canada gets the 125 and the 250. Just may have to have the 250 Repsol version this spring. CMS:ricky
  6. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    The CBR250R, the US gets, is a "thumper" as opposed to the previous version which was a v-twin. The last time Honda sold a 250cc v-twin, in the US, was 1988-90 VTR250 Interceptor. In other parts of the world, that bike never really went away and the current iteration is pretty cool. It looks like a little Ducati Monster with its exposed ladder frame. I would love to get my hands on a CBR125R to use as a commuter. For now, I guess my old '89 VTR250 will have to suffice...
  7. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see two problems with that bike which would prevent me from buying it. One is the sportbike riding which I can't handle, and found very uncomfortable back when I could. I think commuting should be done in comfort. My Vino 125 and Zuma 125 bith make excellent commuters.

The other reason I wouldn't buy it is the same problem I have with my scooters. It is not freeway legal. I have over 26,000 miles on the 2 scooters together, much of it over and over on the same roads. I've gone everywhere I can from home without getting on a freeway. To go anywhere else I would have to haul them to a new starting point.

Freeways should have a special slow moving vehicle lane. I'll bet you would see a LOT of smaller scooters and mopeds out there if they did, and it would seem to make sense from an environmental and saving gas perspective. The needs for interstate highways are changing now due to the absurd gas prices.
  8. klx250sfguy

klx250sfguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, thanks for replying. Regarding the sport bike riding position, I hear what Jerry is saying. I took a BMW S1000 RR out for a lengthy test ride last year. After 20 minutes my neck was killing. I'm too old for that. The CBR 125R seems to adopt more of a standard riding position. My niece has a 2010 Ninja 250R that I borrow occasionally, I don't find that uncomfortable at all.

I think what is happening with me is this: I have been seduced by the sporty looks of the CBR and the low price ($2299 NEW). My wife would not be impressed if I brought home yet another machine. I bought my C70 and Aero 80 so she and I can take leisurely rides into town together, when we are not using our Miata. I think I need to stay focused and accept that I can't have it all. We have three school age kids and a lot of other priorities. Our Camry and Sienna get the most use these days, the bikes and the MX-5 are just for pleasure.

I am like a big kid who wants another toy and wants it NOW. I am going to try to practice restraint. And really, I should be thankful for what I have.

I have ridden enough bikes in my life that I would probably grow tired of the WeeBR pretty quick. I am going to hold on to what I got and aim to buy something new in a few years. Maybe a Burgman 400 ;)

Rob
  9. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Even though it looks like a crotch rocket, the seating position is more like a Standard. Although, I do have to remind myself to keep the weight on the seat and not on my arms. My VTR is not uncomfortable.

Point taken. Here in Illinois, that bike would not be allowed on the freeway (250cc minimum) even though I'm sure it could keep up with traffic.

States are having a hard enough time getting HOV lanes in-place. I doubt you'll ever see a "slow" lane on an interstate, limited access, divided highway, although the thought has merit (to force the commuting public to choose more efficient methods of commuting). Gas prices will never have any effect on the needs of the interstate highway system. Remember, it was built for defense (Thanks Ike!). The government allows us to use it when the Army doesn't need it. What I would like to see is a designated bicycle lane, delineated by Jersey Barriers, on all public streets. One car lane could provide enough room for two bicycle lanes (moving in opposite directions). That would force commuters to re-think their modes of transport. I would love to ride my bicycle to work but as the roads are now, I'd be killed post haste.
  10. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    I ve seen these online at some dealers two Provinces over for 2 grand for a 2 year old old new stock bike. Just far to same for anyone my size. if you want one just use google and search new 2009 etc and see what come up. Also search for honda dealer with around you. You never know what still sitting in a show room years latter. Once came across a new 99 royal enfiled etc.
    I know how you feel about wanting it and wanting it now. I really want the honda 700x that came out but know theres 3 years before I can get one . Where I live it runs 90 bucks a month once you hit 700cc. I Really want a Yamaha c3 cube scooter ( Dear Honda Helix I m leaving you . It's not you but me . I need to slow down and get some space . See things at a different speed. :eek1:eek1:lol3) . It's Just a matter of cash and what not. Can't even leave on my trip till next year . Thanks Canada Tax department and My sister. I truly love you both. Once My mother estate is done this year I m gone till the money runs out.
  11. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even at the cost of over $1,000,000 per mile we are building old railroad right of ways into hike and bike paths. It seem to me that they are used only on weekends. They should be shared with the small scoots and small bikes. How about like they do on a lake near by. Even days human power, odd days small motors. I could ride all the way to Cincinnati on our bike path on my Honda Trail 90, 65 miles.
    :norton
  12. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    You could also ride the trans canada trail on c90. Goes from vancouver bc to the end of canada.
  13. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are popular here because of licensing laws.

They seem to last ok, up to about 40000kms, i have seen, most get killed here from learners smashing them so maybe they would go further.

They get great mileage but are a bit slow for freeways. Cheap if you only have to burn around in traffic, i have always wanted one for a toy but havent got around to finding one at the right price.
  14. JerryH

Oddometer:
    First off, I had to sell an '09 EX500 Ninja because I couldn't handle the riding position. The bars were to low and to far forward. I must have been supporting 100 pounds of body weight on my arms and shoulders, and that got painful real quick. The pegs were also way to far back and to high for me, they bent my legs up like pretzels, causing cramps and numbness. 5,000 miles in 3 years, and most of it in pain. Yet most claim it has a "standard" riding position. Everybody seems to have a different idea about what a standard position is, though most put it far closer to sport than I do. I traded that bike for a Zuma 125. It's very comfortable, but unfortunately not freeway legal. Out here 150cc is freeway legal, though not necessarily safe. You just have to use you judgement.

I also had an '07 Ninja 250, it was a better fit than the 500, probably because I was too big for it. The pegs were about the same, but the bars were much closer. I actually found the passenger pegs more comfortable than the riders pegs, because they let me straighten my legs out more.

I have heard of several Ninja 250s passing 100,000 miles, I guess it depends on how you ride and maintain them. But, they have twice the displacement of a CBR125. If a CBR125 can keep up with freeway traffic, that has to be one highly stressed motor. I did discover that the Ninja 250 warranty did not cover loss of compression due to wear. Many people on the Ninja 250 forum were recommending the 3 year extended warranty, saying that guaranteed it would last for 4 years, but that is not the case.

There does need to be some way for small slow vehicles like scooters to get across the country. There are indeed many back roads, and old highways, like 66, that were basically abandoned when the interstate highway system was built, and for a long time I have been trying to put together a coast to coast route that avoided all freeways. So far no go. These old roads are broken up into sections, and while they do go coast to coast, they are also combined with interstate highways between sections, and that's where a small scooter has to stop. You can cross the country on bicycles, because many states allow bicycles to use the shoulders of interstates, but "motor driven cycles" are prohibited. I can no longer ride a bicycle more than a few blocks, and never had any interest in a long trip on one. I want a motor. It doesn't have to be fast, but it cannot require pedaling. The Zuma 125 is easily capable of cross country travel, just not legally.
  15. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Seems like they require scooters to be at least 150cc. I'm sure part of the route involves freeways. If not I need to talk to these guys.
  16. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Wow, great information, thanks. Zillions of turns, but looks like it will work. I was looking for more direct routes.
  17. zomby woof

zomby woof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a CBR 125 too, and although it looks like a sportbike, it doesn't feel like one and will do highway speeds without any difficulty. When they first came here, everybody was convinced that we had a 250 cc minimum for highway use, and we don't. Then they said there was a 250 minimum for license testing, and there's not. I recall looking this up before, and don't think there's a CC requirement for highway use in AZ.
  18. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Illinois is definitely different from AZ. To pass a motorcycle road test, you must be on a bike with a 200cc (or bigger) engine. To legally ride on a divided highway or interstate, you must have 250cc or more (and the license plate reflects this - bikes with less than 250cc have blue letters/numbers while everything else has red letters/numbers).

I could see myself handling traffic, on an IL interstate, with a CBR125R. When I had my NX125? Not so much. :D
  19. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I cannot find anything definitive regarding what is freeway legal in AZ, but it must have at least 150cc to take a motorcycle skills test on. It has been pretty much accepted that 150cc was also the freeway legal limit. It is in CA.

"Motor-driven cycle&#8213;A motorcycle with a 149 cc size engine or smaller. Be sure before you enter a freeway that the state has not posted any signs stating the operation of motor-driven cycles is prohibited on the freeway, you cannot legally ride your motor-driven cycle there."

What this means is that a vehicle with a 149cc or smaller engine is a motor driven cycle in CA, while a vehicle with one more cc, "150cc" is a motorcycle. One is freeway legal, one is not.

AZ did something similar when they approved their Motorized Bicycle Law. If the engine was 48cc or under, it was a motorized bicycle, and did not require a license, registration, or insurance. If it was at least 49cc, then it became a full blown motorcycle, with one exception left over from the '70s, which is still a distinct class here, the moped. A Moped is a factory built cycle with both a motor and functional pedals, and if restricted to 30 mph, requires only a moped endorsement, moped registration and plate (the plate says "MOPED" right on it, and insurance. "MOPEDS" are generally tolerated in the bicycle lanes if ridden in a responsible manner under 20 mph, and always yield the right of way to a bicycle. A "NOped" which is the same as a moped except having no pedals, is considered a motorcycle for all intents and purposes, except it is not freeway legal. AZ has no minimum speed limit on freeways.

I'll have to do some more research on what is freeway legal, but I have a feeling it is going to be 150cc.

Just found this. Looks like they are saying anything with at least 5 hp is freeway legal. The Zuma 125 has 11.

Thank You for contacting the Arizona Department of Public Safety. Motorcycles as defined by ARS 28-101.35 are allowed on full controlled access roadways in Arizona. Mopeds and motor driven cycles are not allowed on those roadways (28-101.30 and 28-101.31). The law that prohibits mopeds and motor driven cycles on full controlled access highways is ARS 28-733. I've included those laws for you:

31. "Moped" means a bicycle that is equipped with a helper motor if the vehicle has a maximum piston displacement of fifty cubic centimeters or less, a brake horsepower of one and one-half or less and a maximum speed of twenty-five miles per hour or less on a flat surface with less than a one per cent grade.

32. "Motor driven cycle" means a motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor that produces not more than five horsepower.

35. "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and that is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground but excluding a tractor and a moped.

28-733. Restrictions on use of controlled access highway

A. The director may, and local authorities by ordinance may, prohibit the use of any part of a controlled access highway under their respective jurisdictions by pedestrians, bicycles or other nonmotorized traffic or by any person operating a motor driven cycle.

B. The director or the local authority adopting the prohibition prescribed in subsection A shall erect and maintain official signs on the applicable controlled access highway. When the signs are erected, a person shall not disobey the restrictions stated on the signs.

DPS Duty Office
  20. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own a 2011 CBR125R. I recently had the engine swapped out with a Thai 150cc 4-valver from the 2011 CBR150R (the bike uses the same chassis as the CBR125R). The CBR150R was never imported into Canada. I also own a 2009 CBR125R. If you are thinking about purchasing a CBR125R, I strongly recommend the 2011+ generation for the following reasons:

Here are some reasons to consider the newer CBR125R over the older one.

1. Larger fuel tank.
    2. Slightly larger chassis - with a bit more room. Very comfortable for me.
    3. Only about 20lb or so heavier.
    4. Digital speedometer that can be made accurate with a Speedo Healer.
    5. Larger tires that provide more stability and are easier to find in Canada.
    6. Midrange power seems to be better than the older bike (but have never tested this in any systematic and objective manner).
    7. Love the mirrors on the fairing rather than on the bars.
    8. Single headlight provides much better output for night riding, and people don't stop me and tell me that one of my "headlights are burnt out" anymore.
    9. The newer design just feels more substantial - and better suspended.
    10. I think the newer design looks better too (obviously, this is very personal).
    11. The 2011 CBR125R (when I rode it throughout the Fall) seemed to be able to hold a true 90 km/hr (GPS) quite well. And perhaps due to the slightly larger chassis - there seemed to be less vibration making it's way up through the bars too - so the bike felt smoother.
    12. The transmission seems to shift more smoothly on the newer generation. The previous generation seemed to have some gremlins related to 6th gear popping out at times.

I've actually toured and camped on the CBR125R - right across Ontario! It was tons of fun.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810772&highlight=nanabijou

How does the CBR125R compare to similar sized scooters in terms of power?

A friend of mine has recently owned a Vespa LX150 and a Vespa GTS300. I've ridden them both. Both are really smooth and handle incredibly well. They're really easy to ride. And both of them accelerate well off the line (especially the GTS300) - but lose steam quickly on the top end.

A couple of years ago on a remote and deserted paved road I drag raced his LX150 with my CBR125R from a 5 mph running start. We were neck and neck through my first 2 gears on the CBR. However, as soon as I found 3rd - I left him behind rather dramatically. My fuel economy was also much better than his LX150. For me, the CBR125R is much more engaging to ride, puts its power to the ground better and gets better fuel efficiency. Then again - I've found scooters to be a convenient, well thought out, practical, stylish, and frugal mode of fun transportation. If you just want to ride around the city and need the practicality and ease of use of a scooter (incredible storage) - it's really hard to beat.

I went for a ride a couple of days ago on my 2011 CBR150R. First ride with the Thai CBR150R engine in my 2011 CBR125R chassis. The temp display on my car said 8C. Good enough for me.

Headed out on my usual run along Lakeshore Drive out to Wild Goose Beach. The bike felt great. Noticeably more power across the rev range compared to the CBR125R. And the sound is more throaty than its little brother too. It sounds great. With the 150R, you had better like the sound of a small displacement 4-valve single at high rpm - because that's where the tach will be sitting most of the time. Good thing it's relatively smooth when you wind it out. The road into Wild Goose was snow covered in places. But at around 300lbs wet, the bike is reasonably lightweight and easy to handle - apparently even through snow and ice. :D

[​IMG]

You can see the remnants of our recent winter tale here. The snow is now melting fast (finally), but we got dumped on several times toward the end of the season.

[​IMG]

It certainly doesn't look like good riding weather. But at no time was I ever cold. After a couple of hours - I was still cozy in my gear. The photo below is the beach parking lot.

[​IMG]

And here is the Sleeping Giant and umm....the beach. You can see a section of an ice-racing track to the left.

[​IMG]

I like comparing the same photo at different times of year. The contrast of seasons is pretty remarkable. The photo below was taken in July 2012. If you look closely, you can see people swimming in the cool waters of Lake Superior below. Hard to image this scene from the photo above.

[​IMG]

Here's a closer look at the Giant. If you are wondering whether the Giant has somehow been decapitated, check out the other photos below that better capture the Giant in full glory.

[​IMG]

From there I continued along Lakeshore and then took the Trans-Canada back to Thunder Bay so I could test the highway capability of the 150R. Overall - it did fine. However, I was facing a pretty severe headwind and found myself frequently dropping it from 6th (7800 rpm @ 100km/hr) to 5th (9000 rpm @100km/hr) in order to continue riding at my 100km/hr (GPS) goal. After taking some time to peruse the useful online Gearing Commander site, I think I might go with one less tooth on the countershaft sprocket. This would put me at 8400 rpm in 6th @ 100km/hr - right near the bike's torque peak at 8500 rpm. My older 2009 125R with this 150R engine ran similar lower gearing, and I think I like the extra jump the lower gearing gives me in the city, and I'm more satisfied with the way it works on the highway too. I also stopped at the Terry Fox Lookout too for a quick break and a few more photos.

[​IMG]

Here is a plaque that describes Terry's "Marathon of Hope" journey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is another gratuitous shot of the 150R (the wolf) in 125R (sheep's)clothing...

[​IMG]

From there I visited the Bluffs overlooking the Current River for yet another view of the Giant. I didn't expect to see so many others enjoying the views and milder temps.....while pensively sucking back on some thinly rolled, sweet smelling...ummm... cigarettes. :eek1

[​IMG]

I thought I'd stop by Hillcrest Park as well to take yet another shot of the Sleeping Giant. On the way there while waiting at a stop, a young guy drove by in a pickup and with the window rolled down yelled what sounded like "Nice Mike!" :huh but I think it was "Nice bike!" :lol3 Either way - I think the colours look pretty striking.

[​IMG]

Here is another contrasting shot taken in June from a similar spot. You can barely see the outline of the Giant in the background.

[​IMG]

I took one more photo before heading toward Oliver Road and onto the expressway. I wanted to stretch the 150Rs legs a bit.

[​IMG]

Mike