Baja. Winter '13. Riding companions?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ricksca, Nov 18, 2012.

1. ricksca

ricksca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's raining in Norcal. It's been raining for days. It will probably rain until Easter. I look at my DR650 every day and think, how could this machine help me deal with the rain situation? It is well farkled and ready to ride south. Is there anyone out there who would be interested in a shared open-ended adventure south o' the border (couple weeks. A month)? I'm thinking some dirt roads, but nothing super challenging. Mostly, just in order to get to quiet fishing villages and cool out of the way places.
    I have traveled extensively in Mexico. A few years ago, I drove my Nissan P.U. to Belize through Yucatan, but I have never been to Mexico on a bike. Plus my Spanish is pretty crude. I'm in my 60's and have been riding since I was 16.

If the allure of Mexican sun, cheap lodging/camping, desolate beaches sound interesting, please shoot me an email - rick at warmatlast dot com. I don't think I am ready for a solo trip. Just a little too much exposure. (No PM's, please. I don't check in every day).
  2. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am looking for another person for for a baja trip-send me a PM.I am in norcal.
  3. Missiongravity

Missiongravity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are passing in to Tijuana on Tuesday if you will be up and running by then. Looking for partners as well.
  4. ricksca

ricksca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Mission. Can't leave until after Jan. 5th. Have a great trip though. Rick
  5. DirtRich

DirtRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to go down sometime on or after 2/9. I've done a lot of Baja travel over the years but not on a bike. I'm pretty open on where to go but want to get to Laguna San Ignacio for a day. I'll be going over some of my past info and hitting up friends for some out of the way lost locations, would love to hook up with someone for all or part of the trip.

Let me know.

Tom
  6. ewr2004

ewr2004 Last year, Baja. This year, Baja. Next year, Baja.

Oddometer:
    Rick, I would be interested in learning more about your basic plan (time frame, destinations, camping vs. hotels). I did Tecate to Cabo and back, 80% dirt, one year ago and Tecate to La Paz 6 months ago. I'm ready to do it again.

PM me and let's talk. -Eric
  7. Nookie

Nookie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rick, I'll be watching the post. I'm in Vegas and will be heading down sometime after the 1st of the year, I just don't know when. Depends on the business schedule and if 2-4 weeks open up. If it does I'll PM you. You're taking the same kind of trip that I will take. Have a great time.
  8. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rick, I sent you a note as well....Baja is a great place for riding, especially on the Sea of Cortez side in the winter. Looks like there are several guys interested in a ride. Let's keep in touch...

Cheers,
    Steve
  9. tjt94

tjt94 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am interested in a ride to cabo during Christmas. I live by Mexicali and will cross there. Anyone interested in a short trip with return before New Year? Leave 12/23 (if the world doesn't end). If it does, Baja will be a good place to be.
  10. jwatkins_61

jwatkins_61 El Jefe - Baja Bombardier

Oddometer:
    I was just thinking early next year would be a great time to do another Baja run. I don't have any firm dates but was thinking mid January or so to begin. I would like to ride dirt - I have taken the highways many times. I rode from Coco's corner to San Felipe once and it was pretty interesting on a 1150 GS with street tires! There were a few pucker moments in deep gravel but i stayed upright. I will use the TKC knobbies this time around. :rofl Jeff
  11. SpeedySteve

SpeedySteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will hopefully be leaving Tucson southbound around this time. Departing 23-24, crossing at either lukeville or yuma. I think I have recruited one, possibly two other riders from the old pueblo. My only plan is to really have no plan and follow my spirit while down there. I will aim to be back in Tucson on Jan 5th.

Cheers,

Speedy
  12. fajuga

fajuga n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm also looking for a riding companion interested in a 3 week trip from San Diego, down Baja, over to copper canyon and back. Interested in camping / cheap hotels / lots of photos / good food good drinks and culture shock. I plan on leaving 1st week in Feb and returning sometime around the 24th. I'll be riding a 1200GSA. Comfortable with offroad as long as its not deep sand. Difficult on a big pig. I have a rough itinerary in mind but Not looking for a set schedule. Prefer to roll with the punches. Much rather go witha buddy than ride solo. Let me know if this sounds good to anyone. Cheers.
  13. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    I read that to my wife and her reply was "he's your kindred spirit" :lol3.

Dave
  14. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you still going on this trip?
  15. ricksca

ricksca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It appears that all the folks who have expressed interest in this trip now have schedule conflicts. I am ready to go, but would really prefer to have a riding companion. So, If you are able to leave soon and want someone to ride with, give me a call or email: rick at warmatlast dot com 530-272-7556 Today is 1/13/2013