Looking at a 1959 R50 tomorrow morning

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Twin headlight Ernie, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Ron Seida

Ron Seida Adventman

Oddometer:
    All the tools you need to disassemble the engine are right here:
    http://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_2_10&products_id=4
    $222 plus shipping really isn't that bad, and it wouldn't be hard to get most of your money back if you chose to sell them later. The Clymer manual mirrors the original book by BMW and tells you everything you need to know. http://www.amazon.com/Bmw-600Cc-Twi...r=1-12&keywords=clymer+bmw+motorcycle+manuals
    All you need are these tools, the book, a propane torch to heat the block and a mechanical aptitude and your on your way. Ive done a few of these engines, they're really much simpler than you think, you just have to know a few tricks.
  2. backdrifter

backdrifter Wannabe rider

Oddometer:
    So come on, Twin Headlight Ernie, tell us what happened already! :ear
  3. isdt BMW

isdt BMW willserv@aol.com

Oddometer:
    There are 2 slingers, crank must be out of the motor case to clean them. In my 40+ years of working on them, I have never seen clean slingers. do them once and with modern oils, you can enjoy years of trouble free riding. The Clyber manual is OK but the Bjetman rebuild bkkk is better and has mich more info. the pre /2 bikes are fine, it doesn't matter what year you get. Did you get the bike?
  4. Ron Seida

Ron Seida Adventman

Oddometer:
    Im curious about this book from Bjetman, but the Great Google cant find it. Could you please provide us a link. Thanks.
  5. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
  6. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:

Nice example with the desireable single seat and passenger pad. Even has a working stock side stand which is rare. All frames back then came with side car lugs. You would change the pivot point on the Earles forks depending on solo or sidecar.

Sitting 10 years and those miles...engine comes out to get to the slingers. See Brent Hansen for the tranny rebuild. Join the Vintage BMW Club with the rest of us crazy beemerphiles.

If you know airheads...pull the front cover and you can tell if it still have the stock 6v or the 12 v upgrade from the cop bikes. Means you won't have the magnito...these things don't really need a battery to run.just for lights at idle.
  7. weeman

weeman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the book if you would like to borrow it. Yes, it's a bit pricey at $103. but it's very concise.:deal
  8. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    For the 1955-69 Twins:

Generally all factory equipped Earles fork machines had sidecar lugs. For the late '68 & '69 machines they generally always were sold with frames that had the sidecar lugs not installed at the factory. Yet...like any mass production source of a product there can be factory one-offs. I've owned one '69 R69S Earles fork machine that was built at the factory w/out sidecar lugs and I've owned one '68 R60US that was built at the factory that had a frame w/ sidecar lugs. Both of those bikes were here in the States being passed around in Ohio ~15 plus years back.

As per the charging systems, there are three factory designs:

• 6V, 2-brush generator
    • 12V, 4-brush generator
    • 12V, 2-brush alternator

All three of the above charging systems retain the factory magneto design. W/out a battery the lights will function at charging RPM rate on the generator designs. W/out a battery the lights will not fucntion when the engine is running on the alternator design. The generator designs are used early through late in the Twins production range. The alternator is a late design as it is basically a /5 charging system. A 12V factory charging system does not mean the magneto is deleted. There are also various one-off, not from the factory, design chargings systems that are available for these machines.

Now for the rebuilding of gearboxes on the 55-69 twins...I consider the 'proper and correct' rebuilding of these gearboxes far more challenging for the novice that the '74 and up BMW Twins' design. In just the past year I've had two 55-69 Twins gearboxes sent to me that riders did not get 'right' (as in botched) when doing the rebuild. Yes, a rebuilder can do one for their first time and get it 'right'. Yet not being aware of their uniqueness and thinking it is a simpleton task can lead to a an expensive lesson.

That bike appears to be a very decent buy by today's market values. They are fun machines that have proven themselves to be an excellent design exercise by the engineers that made it happen.

Carl
  9. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    The price went up. I saw $105 plus $12 shipping when I went through the three or four pages I had to go though to find the price but for some reason they can never tell you what the price is unless they get you to say , "Yes I want one", so then I don't enter my CC info but that's what you have to do to see the price.

I've never seen this book but I don't think the price is too much for a good technical manual. I've seen many "Picture" books cost half this and no technical info.
  10. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    Just wanted to say thanks for the kind information and helpful hints. Also thanks much for the pressure to make the purchase. I pick it up on Wednesday!
    I am currently working on my 1992 R100GS and am doing a frame up restoration on a 1978 R100/7. This will be number three Beemer for the stable.
    I don't have room in the shop for this one and it may be a while before I get a chance to to work on it. I am going to clear some space for it in the mud room in my house. (Us single guys can get away with having a bike in the house) I'll invite one of my riding buddies over this weekend to help me get it up the stairs and through the door. If anyone has a tail light or a lead on where to pick one up for this bike please let me know.
    Take care and safe riding.
    2HE
  11. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Personally I have seen a number of US models have sidecar lugs. My '69 R69US didn't. I have never noticed a earls fork model without them but I am sure they are out there.

If I ever get another vintage, I am going to make a R68S. A R51/3 with a R69S engine in it. Buy a repo R68 front fender and presto. You have got what looks just like a R68 but goes a lot better. It sounds fun to me? :ear
  12. subagon

subagon Hopelessly lost

Oddometer:
    I have room in my garage :deal

Congrats on the new addition :thumb
  13. weeman

weeman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cael
    I'm glad you pulled the trigger Congrats! By the way, I see you're in Minisoda my brother lives in St. Michael he'd be happy to store it for you:wink:. You could probably find a tail light on evilbay.
    Cheers m8!
  14. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your new acquisition. you got a hell of a deal!
    you will now be required to share each and every detail to the drooling, envious horde.:ear
  15. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Congratulations.

The tail lights are available. Somebody has the one that came with your bike. :lol3
  16. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    I got the bike home tonight. The owner included the original owners book and even the 1959 bill of sale. The original owner traded in a Harley with a sidecar. I'm going to make a photocopy of it and see if I can figure out how to scan a copy. It's just such a cool piece of documentation. I'll have to see if I can find a frame for it. It's my kind of artwork.

2HE
  17. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    congrats!!
  18. Cordless

Cordless Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer:
    You going to start making skidplates and other cool bits for it? I have its 1956 R50 brother.
  19. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    The original owner bought the bike with a few goodies for $1078.95.
    He traded in a 1955 Harley with hack for a $700.00 trade in value. His balance was $378.95.
    The title and transfer fee was $.75.
    I bet he wishes he had the Harley mothballed and stashed away.
    2HE
  20. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Without photos it didn't happen! :lol3