Craigslist Trials Finds...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Aug 13, 2012.

1. LeShaghal

LeShaghal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I paid 900 for the same model (My shop is in Milan IN a stone's throw from Ver-sails) that's a beauty! the fender is zip tied on so it jumps off and doesn't break the tank covers locking tab. At Schnell's current prices There's like $1200 worth of spare parts there! These things rust sitting still, and the chrome on this one's goooood...Buy it give him 1500 and never look back! Long story short when I get back from seattle I'm calling this guy up and offering him 1500 cash, so make your move or forever hold your peace![​IMG]
  2. Mike Mc

Mike Mc Pissed off and whiskey wild

Oddometer:
  3. Choicecut

Choicecut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha! Thanks for the info. Maybe he will be more responsive with you than he is with me.
  4. rotorhead511

rotorhead511 Live and let live.

Oddometer:
    Zip ties where used as a weakpoint to prevent fender breakage. I wouldn't worry about that nor get the proper fixture. Loop it and the zips will break, just put new ones on. Lots of nice parts too.

5. Choicecut

Oddometer:
    That makes sense, hadn't thought of that.

My dad and I are heading over to the event in Toronto Ohio tomorrow with the swap meet. Hoping to get a better idea of price ranges. The Gas Gas is about 230 miles from me and I wouldn't be able to get over that way until next Saturday. He got back with me today and said that he would want to keep the rear tire and chain and whatever other parts he could use on his 125. I asked him if he got his asking price if he would let ALL the parts go with it.

Guess I will just see what happens in the next week, maybe it's meant to be mine, maybe not. VMD is coming up in July so if this doesn't work out, maybe I can find something up there.
  6. Choicecut

Oddometer:
    After conversing with several trials riders today and an in depth conversation with Gilbert Reed, I think I am going to pass on the Gas Gas on CL and hold off for something newer. Aside from 2 people here (one is a stone's throw away from the bike, probably good friends with the seller :lol3), everyone I talked to said the bike is priced way too high even with all the parts included. One guy I talked to had a 95 just like the CL find that he paid 800 for and it looked like it was in mint condition. If the seller lowered his price quite a bit I might be interested, but at this point I am going to continue my hunt.
  7. dmay

dmay Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Gilbert is A-OK!
  8. Choicecut

Oddometer:

Yeah he is a great dude. Took my number and said he would keep an eye out for me. Him and my dad grew up together down around Dexter City/Caldwell. My dad actually let Gilbert take his first trials ride on his TY250 in the early 70's. Gilbert must have really enjoyed it too, cause he rushed out and bought a Bultaco right after that and has been doing it for 30+ years now. My Dad and Gilbert were memory fogged and couldn't remember if it was my dad's TY or their buddy Stanley's that he rode first, so they were hashing that out for about 10 minutes today. All you can do is sit back and laugh at old hoots trying to remember the good ole days. :rofl
  9. supermotosean

supermotosean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/3803377271.html

Montesa 314r trials bike! Awesome deal don't pass it up! - $1100 (Wekiva springs) <SECTION class=userbody><FIGURE class=iw>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </FIGURE><SECTION id=postingbody>I have a Montesa Cota 314r this thing is awesome practice bike and balance training. Comes with extras and comes with brand new front and rear tire and tubes not even put on yet. Starts 1st second kick when cold. Runs strong. Only needs front brake line. You cant find trials bikes for under $1500!! Great deal give me a call or text 321-262-1006 or email me at mxcole7 at gmail.com will take trade of SUP or boat or gheenoe.

Not mine, but I've been sniffing around and thought someone else may be interested!
  10. supermotosean

Oddometer:
    http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/3830329405.html

1990 fantic 307 trials - $999 (st.pete) <SECTION class=userbody><FIGURE class=iw>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </FIGURE><SECTION id=postingbody>good running bike, not all banged up like most old trials, last year air cooled, first year upside down forks, custom seat & some spares. $999 or best offer. NO E-MAILS!!, NO TEXTS!!, NO TRADES(except cash)!! call me DAVE@ 727-348-9546

Another one I saw while shopping, any Fantic fans out there?
  11. supermotosean

Oddometer:
    http://lakecity.craigslist.org/mcy/3773311025.html

fantic & Yamaha trial dirt bikes - $2000 (winter garden)

<SECTION class=userbody><FIGURE class=iw>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </FIGURE><SECTION id=postingbody>2 trial dirt bikes with lights running when stored 2 years ago will split up make offer all original </SECTION>
  12. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

2 of the best trials bikes ever made there! 200 Fantic was very very good, and the TY250 is an awful lot better than the TY350 which is more common in the US.
  13. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The TY 250`84 and `85 was crap compared to an `86. Weak frame and the worst rear shock ever. By the way I loved my `86 ty 350, but then again I ride at high altitude!
  14. supermotosean

Oddometer:
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/3863968375.html

1974 Yamaha TY250 TY 250 Trial Trials Bike Motorcycle - $925 (Altamonte Springs) <SECTION class=userbody><FIGURE class=iw>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </FIGURE><SECTION id=postingbody>For sale is this 1974 Yamaha TY250A trials bike. It is all original parts. The tank and seat are in great shape, although the tank has a couple dings as shown. The tank is very clean with no rust (last picture). The side panel and pipe have the original "Trial 250" logos as shown.

I have not tried to start it, so do not know for sure, but it probably will need some carb work to get it to run. It has good compression.

Sold "as is".

Feel free to call 321-207-9186 or email.
  15. fortizgur

fortizgur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, NO longer available,,, at least not from mxcole7 @ gmail,,,, i bought it from him a week ago. It all seems to be running fine just need a front brake cable which has been hard to find,,, been told to ask Mike at Tryalsshop...

</section></section>
  16. supermotosean

Oddometer:
    http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/3830818721.html

VINTAGE1975 YAMAHA TY175B TRIALS - $2400 (SE Tallahassee) <SECTION class=userbody><FIGURE class=iw>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </FIGURE><SECTION id=postingbody>HISTORIC, HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER VINTAGE 1975 YAMAHA TY175B TRIALS TWIN SHOCK

ASKING $2,400.00

OBSERVED MOTORCYCLE TRIALS

If you love national and/or international MC, SC, TRIALS, GNCC, etc., you probably know that VINTAGE is "HOT," growing rapidly across the US and world. There are national (AHMRA for example), state championships, and regional clubs hold their own competitions. In FL we have the Florida Trials Association. In Australia, they have a "Yamaha TY-Only" trials competition!

Observed Motorcycle Trials started in Scotland before 1910. It is one of the very oldest forms of motorcycle competition.

Motorcycle trials is often utilized by competitors of other motorcycle sports (such as motocross or street racers) as a way to cross-train, as trials teaches great throttle, balance, and machine control. You see Trials bike demonstrations at many competitions such as SC, MX, ENDURO X, EXTREME, X-GAMES, and part of the NUCLEAR COWBOYZ shows.

There are only a handful of riders worldwide that can compete at the international level. NO US rider competing in any of the championship series (other than Trials) could qualify/compete at the international level!

YAMAHA TY175B

Owned for 24 months. Bought with the intention of competing in the national senior vintage trials series, but life changed and could not. This TY has never left my home (ridden in the woods behind) other than for service. Over that time, it has been ridden for about 36 hours. It has never been ridden for more than 60 minutes at any one time. 90+% RESTORED.

SPECIFICS

1. 175cc displacement
    2. Purchased from FL vintage shop
    3. All servicing done by 2 stroke vintage technician
    4. Ridden about 36 hours (maintain iPad iOS computer log)
    5. Great looking, 90+% restored. Cases polished, cooling fins properly painted, and no corrosion unlike most I've seen on the market. In better condition than many new-generation, late model trials and other dirt bikes.
    6. $3,000 invested
    7. Fuel tank cleaned and sealed
    8. Motor checked:
    a. New low end bearings
    b. Complete new set of OEM gaskets and seals
    c. Carb checked and cleaned
    d. New top end (about 3 hours on it)
    e. New points and condenser
    f. Other adjustments as necessary
    9. New petcock
    10. New, original style quilted seat (hard to find)
    11. IRC trial tires in near-new condition
    12. New, OEM kick start assembly
    13. New, beautiful custom Sammy Miller pegs (repositioned providing better balance, control)
    14. Spare air filter
    15. Original frame-mounted tool kit
    16. Copy of original Yamaha factory service manual
    17. Copy of original Mikuni carb service manual
    18. Original Haynes TY manual
    19. Bonus. I designed a custom operating log database. Provided if you have an iPad and Bento 4. Populates riding location by GPS and inserts map and address, calculates riding time, tracks ambient outdoor temperature, notes, etc.

OTHER

1. Do not have the lighting kit
    2. The tank is dented either side at the knees
    3. The front fender can be touched-up or repainted
    4. I would not purchase a used bike from an owner who opened the cases and worked on the internals.
    5. Most owners cannot provide you with accurate operating time, particularly important for a 2 stroke.
    6. I will provide you with the technician's contact information.
    7. Trials bikes are often used for cross-training by professional competitive dirt bike riders.

CUSTOMIZING

Compared with other vintage bikes, replacement OEM and aftermarket parts are readily available. There are many performance parts for the TY series including electronic ignition, tank/seat combo (similar to the vintage Cota's), pegs, shocks/suspension, exhaust systems, etc. Pick up a set of vintage UK trial's togs and you'll really look dapper for the Scottish Six Day Trials!
    </SECTION>
  17. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Wow. Good job on selling up a $1500 bike...... :deal
  18. supermotosean

Oddometer:
    Kinda what I thought.. Hope nobody minds but I have the bug bad and I'm broke :lol3 so I figured I would share my findings here, be it to hook someone up or just for entertainment!
  19. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I'll make ya a smokin' deal on the 'prilers. :deal