Mexico and Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Jeff Munn, May 30, 2006.

1. Road Dust

Road Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

Been trying to find something like that.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    You need import papers from Baja to Mainland, but not from mainland to Baja.
  3. OffRoadCruiser

OffRoadCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not sure if it is OK to advertise someone else's Kickstarter here but here goes, this fellow has written a book based on his parents trip from Mexico City to Peru in 1959 on a Lambretta 150cc scooter.

In case anyone is interested, only 4 hours left to raise the total:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/928997794/the-scooter-diaries

Carl
  4. nextlife23

nextlife23 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am off to this Friday to ride from Utah to South America to volunteer.

Do I need original copies of registration/title? Or can I just bring copies. I've read some mixed reports in this thread.

What do you guy's do with your gear when you grocery shop - or need to leave the bike for awhile? I have saddlebags and a duffel bag - i've been kayak touring and have had my kayak stolen two times with all my gear inside while grocery shopping or running a quick errand to the post office. I just don't want to make that mistake - any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    D
  5. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run a cable lock through my jacket and helmet. and take my tank bag with me. (I put my spot and GPS in my tank bag too)
  6. nextlife23

nextlife23 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I plan to take a backpack and carry my essentials and important things with me at all times(wallet, laptop, gps, important docs.) What do you do with your camping gear and clothes? Just leave it on the bike and try not leave the bike unattended for very long?

Cheers
  7. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need original title in your name for Central and South Am. Original registration will suffice for Mexico. Buen Viaje, JIm
  8. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    I'm currently on the road in Argentina. I had very little time to ship my bike out before deploying for work this year (I've been out of the country for eight months). So, what i got when the bike arrived is what I have to work with.

I also put my small electronics into my Wolfman tank bag and take that as a man purse. My Aerostich pockets are filled with my important docs and pocket lint, and stay with me. I have locks running through my Pelican cases. When the duffel bag is on the bike (and sometimes the raingear is in a stuffsack bungee'd on) I use a Pac-Safe metal cargo net. Same for helmet.

I use cargo ratchet straps to secure my tires and duffel, and run a cable lock over those. So far, no one has ever tried to release those straps.

I also have some hardened padlocks whose shackels go through the drilled holes in my brake rotors, and I put one on front and rear rotors when I leave the bike in public. Won't stop two skateboards and some muscle, but makes it a tiny bit harder for the ladrones.

So far, so good. But, as ever, don't take anything that you can't afford to lose.

I do have my original title with me, but secured in my bags. I try to pass off laser copies of my title on good quality paper, whenever possible. Works 95% of the time.
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's because of you're stun gun smile :freaky
  10. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been reading pages and pages of info on riding in mexico and I havent found the answer I am looking for.....will I get hung up on some of the bigger taller topes? I read a report where the rider said some of them are practically triangle shaped and quite tall.

I have a bellypan on my bike AND its lowered and this is the one thing I am wondering about so far......I guess I should have a look underneath and measure how much clearance I DO have.....but it ain't a lot.....
  11. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    No you'll be fine and just slow down when your coming up to one. They have them at each end of towns just before you enter to slow you down and they come in all shapes and sizes. Metal, concrete, large rope.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the bigger ones are at cross walks and are 12 inches tall or so and wide for people to walk across, if you hit one of those at speed you'll get airtime.
  12. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    That yellow one right there? :eek1No way can my bike go over that. Not a hope in hell. Now I would have to turn the bike around in that narrow sandy looking street and the turning radius on my bike is about the size of ohio I kid you not.

I can juuuuuust get my toes on the ground on my bike so backpedal ing is a no go....except in certain conditions. Now what do I do ?......crap.....
  13. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think my bags are to wide to ride on the sidewalk.....just to get around the tope.
  14. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just do it; it'll work out. Its Mexico.
  15. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    +1:thumb
  16. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go slow. A little scraping isn't going to hurt anything.
  17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is an encyclopedia of things you can choose to worry about.

What topic do you want to dwell on after topes?
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    There is some dispute as to how well this really works but many people take the topes at an angle which allows both wheels to lifted at the same time time. It does work on the really wide ones. Most important thing is to pay attention and take them slow.:muutt
  19. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Not seeing what kind of bike that you have.

Normally I rode BMW GS's into Mexico but I once rode a BMW K1200LT into downtown Reynosa and discovered that I could high center the bike on the topes at the border crossings.

And it's not only topes that you need to watch out for. Transitions on and off the highways can be impressive. Nuevo Progreso used to have a truck route around town that wasn't finished and would suddenly turn from pavement to rocks and pot holes that could hang up my Land Rover when it was rainy.

At least over here in our little stretch of Border Mexico I think that the current crop of ADV bikes that are tallish, have skid plates, and road bike features like cast wheels are spot on. Northern Mexico has plenty of toll roads but the transitions can be entertaining and every so often you do find yourself going through pot holes and gravel.

This is the toll road between Nuevo Laredo and Monterey and while it's not at an official exit you get the idea:

[​IMG]
  20. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:

Ok , I will play.....I am a small stature single female travelling alone in mexico on my bike. I prefer to stealth camp whenever possible. I travel on a very tight budget. Will I have any particular worries travelling/ camping on my own?

I will probably have more questions after this one if you dont mind.....cause it seems like you do. Or......maybe I am just reading more into your quote than you intended.

Thanks for posting up the great pics, thats exactley what I was looking for. It will sure help direct my modding process..