Mojave National Preserve Camp and Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Mojave Mutt, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would like to put together a camp and ride trip. Likely stay at Mid Hills Campground because I like camping at elevation before winter hits. Trucking in staying 2-3 nights and riding out of camp on good day loops. I'm on a KTM EXC500, a very experienced and well prepared offroader. I live in SoCal High Desert so MNP not too far from me.

I'm off work 10/4/13 to 10/14/13, can do a couple night scouting trip during that time for a near future ride or a full tour.
    I also have Friday thru Sunday of every week and a a 4 day weekend for November 8-11. November 11, is Veterans day

Anyone that would like to join or has experience riding camping in MNP please chime in.
  2. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    I'm going to watch this thread.

I have camped at Mid Hills. Pit toilets, tables and fire rings only. The non burned part is quite nice (I haven't been there for three years, there may be some regeneration)

I work the exact same schedule you do and may be interested, BUT off road I ride a Ural and no way will I be able to keep up with an experienced rider on a dirt bike. No single track for me either.

If there is some noob interest, I may be in.
  3. lightninquick

lightninquick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    10/5-10/6 are no go's for me. The few days leading up to Halloween are also no go's. Nov 6th is my wife's birthday, so I need a few days notice to pull that day off.

All my girls have birthdays in that 30 day stretch, but I got to go on this ride!
  4. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    Funny... mine too.
  5. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    MNP in October is outstanding. Just finished rebuilding my 2T 250. I got a 3 gallon tank on it, but don't know (yet) if I got enough fuel range for that area.
  6. Kali Trailrider

Kali Trailrider PLATED X2

Oddometer:
    I would be in for Veteran's day weekend.
    November 8-11

Thanks for putting this together MM.

I haven't been on a good ride/camp since before summer. :cry
    KTM 450 XC-W
  7. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in northern Nevada for my sons race tomorrow. More discussion when I return home Monday
    Keep in mind park service has strict enforcement of street legal Bike set ups and ther will be no single track. Just road and maybe wash exploring
  8. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Will there be a hill climbing contest?
  9. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    Pics from Mid Hills campground about 2 years ago. The camp ground has water and outhouses. Better than Hole in the wall IMO.

[​IMG]

Some camp sites are a little bare.
    [​IMG]

A few old videos from the area:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yYnTHxEPEgc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2I25kfthb3A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rsJ7gWVI6MQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would like to get back out there this year.
  10. Kali Trailrider

Kali Trailrider PLATED X2

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great place to explore!!

Really looking forward to this now. :clap
  11. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    Veterans day weekend is sounding pretty good.

I must have missed the water the couple of times I've camped there. Last time was with 3 teenage girls doing the Movave Road. They would probably still be pissed if I told them there was water there :rofl
  12. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, back from the enduro at Toulon Nevada. Long day yesterday, up at 5 am in Lovelock Nevada, pack up truck at motel, head to race site 15 miles west on HWY 80. Pretty killer 100 mile enduro, my son loved it. The route schedule allowed a early finish to the race, so we decided to tough it out and drove 500 miles home. Got home at 10 pm not so bad.

Right now looks like veterans weekend is probably a no go. In discussions with my son on the drive home yesterday he informed me that the last round of the WesChec Enduro series he's competing in is that weekend in Stoneyford, northern Calif. If he doesn't go with another group of racers, i'll be making the trip with him. I don't want to plan this ride then have to back out when I get the call to go to the enduro. Looks like an October MNP trip for me. I'll have to figure out a date that works in the next couple days.

Randy, thanks for the pics and vids, just the ride and scenery i'm looking for.

Mr G, be great to have you along but keep in mind I wont be planning routes or pace based on the capability of the Ural. Youre pretty much on your own in that department. My group will be 2 wheels only, smaller bikes.

All others, 100 mile fuel range is probably best. We can plan some routes around possible fuel stops at hwy 15 or 40, but not sure if thats going to be needed yet. I won't be doing any 200 mile days, want to keep it simple and be back to camp a couple hours before dark each day.
  13. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Subscribed...a definite maybe. Awaiting date(s). :deal

I've been wanting to explore the area, more interested in a camp and ride that a ride across the state and back. Just go see the best parts, eh? :thumb
  14. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still want to do this trip but have to reschedule . I'll be traveling to Stoneyford Ca. for an enduro with my son Veterans day weekend so that date is out. Next available weekend for me would be weekend before Thanksgiving, Nov 21-24. After Thanksgiving I'm pretty open, and I also have two weeks off during Christmas holidays. Mid Hills will be pretty cold for tent camipng once winter hits but we can find plenty of other spots at lower elevation.

Any still interested please chime in and will work out a date and move this trip forward. Lots of great easy riding out there with spectacular views and exploration opportunities.

Glenn
  15. TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim Timiteo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Im interested- I would be riding a plated CRF450. Camping at Mid-Hills as a base camp is a great idea. There is also Joshua Tree to the South , or the Calico Area to the North.
  16. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live an hour from Calico, not a big destination ride spot for me but I can put a hell of a ride together from near there. Riding from easy to technical.

I'm talking about Mid Hills Camp Ground in Mojave National Preserve. Thats a long way from Joshua Tree.
  17. TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim Timiteo Viejo

Oddometer:
    anywhere is fine with me- I commute throught the preserve 2-3 times a month between Temecula and Vegas. so nothing is very far for me.
  18. lightninquick

lightninquick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lat November works fine for me Glen. Let's do this!
  19. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    We will.

Did you ride your bike to work yesterday Rick? I heard a 4 stroke going up the river about 8am. Hows the wrist?
  20. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will firm up dates soon. I'm very busy at home and have two races left on my sons schedule over the next four weeks. The last round of the Westchec Enduro Series being a 1000 mile round trip drive for us on Veterans Day weekend.

I am planning a day ride for next Friday the 25th.