F800GS Touratech 20lt fueltank - Who's got one???

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Wildman, Jan 30, 2009.

1. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    It takes longer to fill a tank from rotopax than it does from a gas pump, time wise. And iron butt rides, in order to get that many miles in one day, are mostly road rides - which have gas stations. There's just no need to carry that much gas (even the TT tank is overkill) when you are on regular roads.
  2. reinerka

reinerka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a mass Iron Butt ride with >1000 miles on dirt roads - it can be done (haven't done it myself).

For road rides - each gas stop costs you 10+ minutes from the time you exit the freeway until you're back up on the freeway. If you try to cover 1500+ miles in less than 24 hours one way to do that is DO NOT STOP FOR GAS. It doesn't mean it cannot be done (I had to stop every 180 miles with the GL1800) but it saves effort and time - which is improtant.

There are VERY few that try the Iron Butt Rally with a stock tank that only gets you 200 miles. However the above would be illegal as all fuel must be in a tank (not rotopax cells strapped to the bike) and the toal is 11.5 gallons in total (unless you ride a trike).

Reiner
  3. MRAP

MRAP Rifleman

Oddometer:
    I've had nothing but troubles with that tank since I've added it to my F650gs. It doesn't hold the advertised amount of fuel and the gaskets for the fuel lines leading into the primary tank are shit. Other than the overflow and evaporation issues I was having initially, It was a nice thing to have in Death Valley where fuel is around $6.00 a gallon. After about 12,000 miles of use the gasket started leaking and pissing fuel from my primary tank. They started to shrink when I got to about 9,900 ft in Tioga pass. I speculate that the elevation and the 20 degree temperature helped the leak along. There must be a better option for drilling into the stock tank though, six holes is a little much. I was worried that this would be a recurring theme and ended up replacing the stock tank. I still have the extended range tank on the bike but I drain it into an MSR fuel bottle and transfer it that way. If I had it to do over again I would just carry a 1 gallon jerry can.
  4. chadams

chadams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MRAP, if you are interested in selling the tank please put me at the top of the shopping list :1drink
  5. jacinto

jacinto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problems at all:

well I dit it like this:

I have it installed with the 2 sides of the tank connected on the vent hose of the main thank.
    The hose is also over the dashboard so I can fill the tank with the petcocks open and he do not overfill the main thank.
    The advantages are:
    -petcocks always open,
    -no drilling in to the main tank.
    - not possible to overfill the main thank

Last year i have driven this system with a jerrycan for 10000km an it works perfect, when the main tank lowers it sucks the gasoline from the jerrycan, now the tt-tank.

greatings
    <!-- / message -->
  6. Casejeep

Casejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can you post some pictures of your system? im interested in seeing how other haves their TT tanks set up.
  7. Baillsy

Baillsy Lets ride

Oddometer:

Hey there Grandru,

Do you have anything further on utilising the vent system to supply the main tank. I like the idea as simple is often best.

If you have some photos that would be great.

Cheers
    Baillsy
  8. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    $2000 for a gas tank ! Lol, how funny !
  9. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Bill the Duck

Bill the Duck Unwitting Accomplice Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Lokey

Lokey redneck

Oddometer:
  12. Perspicacious

Perspicacious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Melbourne & Harrietville, Victoria, Australia
  13. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    Been a while since I was in this thread, lots of good TT tank install and use info, but looking back through all the posts....
    Still there's some weekend warriors posting why anyone shouldn't spend their own hard earned money on something that, while ugly IMO, as a matter of fact DOUBLES the F800GS's effective range, AND is a viable alternative to crash bars.
    Boring replies without enough of long distance experience to remote places to fathom the use of a 400+ mile adventure bike such as the TT tank enables 800GS riders without changing ones packing setup, safety or putting more weight BEHIND the rear axle.
    As for adding ANYTHING to the passenger pegs like big gas cans... it's dangerous IMO, it's not a matter of if you crash, it's when... and you don't want any hard objects right in that place to break your leg when you drop you bike or go down at speeds with your foot getting dragged back as you desperately try to save your 500+ pound bike from going down as you hit sand or mud or whatever.
    There's a good reason mine and Nacy's GS don't have hard panniers, and it isn't because I enjoy the tedious packing of the over engineered Wolfmans or can't afford Jesse's for both of us.... I hate those Wolfman bags, but they are placed in a spot that's far less likely to hurt me, as my leg that has been pinned right there many times has taught me.
    Like square fuel cans on the foot pegs, metal brackets OR hard panniers, any of them CAN hurt you eventually - if you ride enough dirt miles. :deal
    While the rotopax, or foot peg solutions might be a cheap and logical solution for some, the TT tank is still the best solution for extended travel for the rest of us who want/need that kind of range with the least impact on handling, safety, or packing IMO.

Give us a break, there's already a thread for options on carrying more fuel..... Last time I looked, this was the TT tank thread.
    How about to each their own for the rest of you that don't like the TT option? :lol3 :deal

[​IMG]
    the Pheasant and clax like this.
  14. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the TT big tanks on my KTM and on my last 4 bikes I have installed a fuel cell. I prefer the larger TT tanks because they kept the weight down low and fuel cells don't. I am in the process of installing a cell on my Tenere this winter.

If you are riding in the far north, or running all night running with extra fuel is prudent. My wife ran a small fuel cell on her
    F 650 and found it gave her a feeling of extra safety on her multi day solo rides if she was getting low on gas and the station looked sketchy she would flip open the cell and have another 2 gallons to find a better place fr a single woman rider to stop.

Dollar for dollar a fuel cell is cheaper that the tanks but you lose the back seat
  15. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
  16. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    I would agree completely!

Cory's bike has always been an inspiration. :D
  17. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :tb
  18. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not so pretty anymore! Mine's had taken a f'n beating. That tank has been smashed, beaten, scrapped and slammed into rocks, ruts, roots and trees yet is still doing it's thing. It's taken abuse that would have bent or broken my metal crash bars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    clax likes this.
  19. Astolfo

Astolfo Wicked Slow

Oddometer:
    ARE YOU SERIOUS! 200miles! :stoned:stoned no way maybe 150 if I ride down-wind and down hill! :eek1:eek1
  20. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    I'd have your bike checked... Or maybe your riding habits? I've gotten similar results to the 200 miles...