Husaberg 570 vs KTM 530 adventuring

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by kzeb, Feb 8, 2013.

1. kzeb

kzeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I got some questions that I havn't been able to sort out with the search function,
    yes I have done it a lot.... still no clear result only sore eyes:cob
    :cry
    Well not that bad :D

So my questions:
    1: Is the KTM 530 as reliable and easy to maintain on the go and in the long run (adventuring + singletrack) as the Husaberg 570 when it comes to the engine ????

2: If not, is it possible to make it so ??? within reason...$$$

My reason for this is that it's alot easier (here) to find a fine KTM 530 vs a Husaberg 570
    plus they are cheaper... (I'm thinking of a -09 KTM if I go that route)

I do like the carb and the kickstarter on the KTM,
    but I still prefer the Husaberg ( Blue & Yellow at birth )

Cheers :ear
  2. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its effectively the same engine rotated 180 degrees. If you wanted you could add 2t KTMberg plastic/seat/subframe and tank to the 530 and it would be blue.
  3. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Much easier to find a large capacity tank for adv riding for the KTM than the berg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  4. kzeb

kzeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I know many internals are more or less the same,
    but that does not have to mean they are equally as good when it comes to service intervals and reliability.
    It seems there are more to the 70 degree engine than simply big bore (or stroking) & tilting the cylinder...

I am quite familiar with what the FE 570 is capable of as a adventure engine, but I have a hard time to compare it to what the 530 can do maintenace wise.

Thanks for your input though :beer
  5. G Goat

G Goat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1: Who told you the Husaberg was easy to maintain?

2: Where is question number two?

Whats wrong with orange and black?

The 530 may need the 2011 cam installed, but this was not among your questions.

The 530 is super easy to maintain, as is the husa. You will be happy with either color.
  6. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert. I've ridden 400, 450 (owned this one), 525 and 530 KTM exc's. They are all very good (duh). Last fall I bought a 2010 FX450 Berg. The Berg just takes it up a notch. The Berg's oil change is easier and it holds a little extra oil. The stator puts out some extra watts. The motor is smoother than any exc I've ridden. The fuel injection has been perfect on the Berg. Much of the rest is either the same or very similar. The handling is a bit different - the Berg steers quicker/easier and the exc's are more stable IMHO. Adding extra fuel tanks is an expensive pain on the Berg. Right now the 70* Bergs are an undervalued bargain.
  7. kzeb

kzeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ok sorry about that :kumbaya peace ? :D

What I'm looking for is more of a discussion regarding the differencies of the two engines.
    I've read alot about the Berg from inmates like Lost Rider, Lucas among others,
    but I have not found the same storys about the 530.
    Due to that I jumped to conclusions that the 530 isn't quite capable of the same, but please prove me wrong,
    I dont mind.
    The least I want is some pissing contest KTM vs Husaberg that would be pretty uninteresting.

Cheers
  8. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    whatta 'ya talkin' about?..... pizzing contests are always interesting!..:evil... lot more than a bunch of dorks that gotta get the screwdriver directions out whenever they try to change their oil.....
  9. kzeb

kzeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea you may be right :bubba

:pain :wink:
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 530 and a 570. If you have a problem, pray you own the 530. I have my 530 stripped down to fit a 570 kit and cam. I'm waiting for parts but it took under an hour to strip the tank, rads, hoses, carb, head, cam, cylinder.

Same amount of time and number of bolts it takes to get the tank off the Burg.

If it never breaks, the Burg is delightful. I'm waiting for it to come back from the shop as I couldn't trouble shoot the latest issues. At 1500 miles it is getting a new cam, a new throttle body intake boot, the 4th fuel pump and I'm hoping that's it. KTM is generously covering only the cost of a new pump, no labor and nothing on the $375 cam with defective A/D that it has probably been bad since near day one. The bike always was a bitch to start.

On the flip side, the 530 has been raced, DSed and supermotoed since 09. It had 1/16" ring gap but still ran fine, just burning some oil. It has wanted for nothing. Gravity is a wonderful fuel delivery device!

The guts of the engines are identical, it is the packaging. The version #1 70 degree needed another generation to be better serviceable and carry more fuel with less trapped heat and components. Try pulling off the mid pipe! Holy Smokes!
  11. G Goat

G Goat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to see what KTM does with Berg now that KTM has acquired Husky.
    Interesting about the Berg cam. Most inmates at ktmtalk recommend the 2011 berg cam for the 08-11 530. It supposedly makes it easier to start.
  12. G Goat

G Goat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never had one bit of trouble with either the 525 or 530. Regular maintenance on the bike is quick. There are riders who have had trouble with the crank oil weeping to the trans side.
    My son and I use them for mainly DSing, getting in and out of trouble.
    The 530 is way more capable than I am. You can also install a 570 piston in the 530 for under a grand.
    I was lusting after the Husaberg for a couple of seasons, but when the boiling fuel problems, or fuel lock,and the fuel pump issues arose, i looked the other way. No kick start on the Berg either.
    I personally would rather have a well sorted injection system than a carb.

If you are planning to climb Mount Everest on a bike, I would choose the Husaberg.:wink:
    What do you rid now? Where do you ride?
  13. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seeing how they dropped the 70 degree motor and now the bergs are just blue ktms with different plastic and forks, I'd guess the change already occurred.
  14. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    When the A/D works, it is fine. KTM and Husky have had A/D problems for a few years. The 08s had the A/D reversed and totally useless. If you get one in your hand you can see how fragile they are, the spring is the thinnest wire I've ever seen.
  15. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, no one has mentioned it here, but just in case you haven't already seen these threads:

I have 2011 FE570. Love it. Maintenance-wise, I've had none of the common issues. Mine came with the "hard to get" subframe fuel tank (an extra gallon+ of gas). My biggest reason for getting it - street legal in CA.

I *did* recently have a hard-start issue, but I replace my injector and added an inline fuel filter and it's been golden since.

If I had to do it over - I'd probably go KTM, simply because of the aftermarket support.
  16. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Except for the fuel tank situation - which is solve-able albeit not cheaply - what aftermarket parts are you missing that you could get for a KTM?

Can't really think of anything and I am a sucker for aftermarket bling...
  17. darkstarmoto

darkstarmoto Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer:
    Can you cite a post link about putting a berg cam in the ktm, I can't find anything on it? I have an 08 530EXC I just picked up and was going to do the normal 09/10 cam 78636010033 update but I see the 11 cam has a different part# 8173601013 and a substantial price increase which also supersedes the 2010 cam as well. Anyone know if the 2011 cam specs are better than the 09 version?
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    You will find that Husaberg owners rave about their bikes,but then KTM owners will rave about their bikes. I bet either engine would run about the same amount of hours given the same proper maintenance and not holding the throttle wide open all day as in a Rally.
    The thing is,they dont make the 570 any more and there is a ton more aftermarket support for any KTM.

Ive got a 2011 carbed 530 and like the carb just fine,easily jetted and tuned to run really strong,no re-mapping,no tiny fuel filters to deal with,no fuel pump worries in the middle of BFE,no dirty injectors to try to clean out.
    I know FI is here and many ADV'ers cant ride with out it,but mine runs just fine with good snap to it.
  19. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Auto de-compressing unit? What goes wrong with those?

The dual sump seems to work just swimmingly on most of these bikes,I dont give it a thought.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    That all makes sense,Ive been out riding in Nevada and had the fuel either boil or get close to it,I understand a fuel pump doesnt work well at that point,high perf singles make heat at slow speeds,no way around it,all that heat radiates up under the tank. FI is challenged on dirt bikes where as on an everyday vehicle it just goes right along. Then the tiniest amount of silt in the fuel can bring FI to a stop.
    Heat/Dirt...they happen often with dirtbikes. Some how my 530 runs great at sea level,and goes up to 8500 and higher still running good,these fancy new carbs have a lot of development time in them.