Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. byewayman

byewayman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of racks on e bay GB, i have 2 exhaust systems , the enduro exhaust that came with the bike was very loud (straight through) so i had to buy a street legal silencer to get through the mot.
  2. byewayman

byewayman Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since mine was the offroad model, (14 on front) I just ground down the stocker so that it would clear the 15. Works fine. I also trimmed off the bottom of the cover some so I could quickly check the nut. I have used some red RTV silicone sealer for "loctite" and it has stayed tight. It came loose on me twice before, even after putting it on with my 3/8 impact gun.
    Is your bike an "E" model or "S" and did the yosh make that much difference?
  4. southforkspeedster

southforkspeedster koolaidless

Oddometer:
    Thanks taco250,
    I used red locktite and the impact, I leave the cover off of the counter shaft on all my dirt bikes.

I will mod up the original casesaver by grinding it also, that was my first thought, but figured I would see if there was something available.

Mine is an E model, and has never seen a 15 up front, threfore the original casesaver always worked.

The Yosh and some jetting mods made a BIG change in the power, but when I put the Yosh on I was about 7 years younger and liked the bikes loud. That is a complete Yosh system from head to slip on. Very loud. Now I am thinking of ways to tone her down a bit:lol3 :lol3

My riding has changed a bunch in the last few years, a lot more DSn, nasty long trail rides, hunting, scouting, camping trips and the like, and not too much racing, so I am excited to be back on the DRZ..........at least a little.............a couple of epic DS rides, some commuting to work, and I will be in love with her again...........

I already felt some romance after all the time she and I spent in the shop over the last couple for days:lol3
  5. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    There probably is an aftermarket case saver for the S or you could just order the S oem part. I'm too cheap to spend money when a fix (the grinder) is a just a few feet away. I've heard the Yosh's are loud and quiet seems the way to go when going into the woods. See if the local muffler shop will make a turn down for your end cap. It doesn't lower the DB's but it aims them towards the ground, thus making them less noticeable. Be honest: do you miss the 520 power or does the DRZ come "close enough"? Sounds like you might be old enough to appreciate slowing down.
  6. MOTARDJUNKIE

MOTARDJUNKIE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone got a stock speedo laying around that works they wanna sell cheap? Mine stopped working and I can not figure out whats wrong with it. I have searched for 2 days!!! IM stumped!! I have taken it apart and didnt see anything out of place or broken connections. Im not very electronics savey though, I could have over looked it.

Thanks in advance!
  7. southforkspeedster

southforkspeedster koolaidless

Oddometer:
    I hear ya on the casesaver:clap :lol3 I can be the same way sometimes, that is why I do most of my own wrenching............can't stomach paying some 20 YO hack $60.00 an hour to LEARN on my machine:deal :lol3 :lol3

I am going to grind mine down this morning before I go on a short ride after church.

The 525 has lots more power.............and I will tell you after I ride the DRZ in the upcoming 24hr race how much I missed it:lol3 :lol3 I will tell you though, wicked power does not always mean wicked fast, especially in tight woods and enduro races:deal The DRZ makes sneaky speed and keeps good traction, with out the tearing up drive train and tires:wink: Very important when you are in a race that lasts 24hrs.........even though I will only probably only ride 4/5hrs of the total race (6 man team).

I'll take a look at the end cap option, but am probably going to Ebay the exhaust and put something tamer on after the race at the end of this month.
  8. RJP

RJP Time-Deficient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a guard/fix to protect the water pump hose (03 KLX400R = DR-Z400E)? A small slide-out on the right side yesterday punctured the hose and bent the copper fitting. Some vise-gripping and cutting the hose shorter/reattaching and emptying my camelback saved the day.

I have a moose bash plate now that porects the pump, but stops before the fitting and hose.:ear

Thanks.
  9. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    I got the Zook OEM rack and IIRC, it was about $100.

Are you sure the quiet you seek is the exhaust? Add a larger bash plate and the engine noise to YOU goes up enormously. Try removing the bash plate to see if that makes a diff.

I went to Pep Boys and bought some spray on sound deadener. Tha seems to have quieted my bike down some.
  10. RJP

Oddometer:
    Where did you spray it? To the backside of the plastics and the inside of the bash plate?
  11. slide

Oddometer:
    My bash plate is metal. I sprayed it on all the bash plate surfaces which could reflect sound from the engine to me. It did make a difference. I put it on THICK.
  12. RJP

Oddometer:
    Is this the stuff like "rattle-can" car undercoating (black asphaltic stuff that dries flexible)?
  13. RJP

Oddometer:
  14. slide

Oddometer:
    Exactly. It's called undercoating / sound deadening material intended for use on firewalls & wheel wells.
  15. gearmaker

gearmaker UmDumChuck

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information about the Zook.
    I don't have the bash plate on yet, so you're saying it's going to get louder. The reduction in sound to me would be nice, but I'm more concerned about cutting my sound in the woods. I run my bike in the National Forest not on approved trails. A noisy exhaust would draw attention. I was hoping for a quick fix, like an exhaust plug, filter.
  16. slide

Oddometer:
    The bike will get noisier for the rider with a large bash plate. It won't be noisier to someone standing by the side of the bike as it passes.

The OEM exhaust is awfully restrictive as it is. I can't imagine how you can make it quieter so I refer you to TT where the Lords of the DRZ hang out.
  17. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    Fitted a 15/44 combo to my E model and had the same prob.
    S model case saver fitted straight on and was less than $20.00, it was also slightly different in shape to give more strength.

I keep old 14 t sprocket and case saver for swapping back on for knarly off road trips.
  18. dpsmith

dpsmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried the undercoat rattle can on my skid plate but it is very messy. I had the local Rhino lining shop coat it instead. They just threw it in when they were doing a truck. This made it inexpensive. It absorbs most of the motor noise and looks good too. Here are a couple pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. ThumperDRZ

ThumperDRZ Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer:
    That is one sweet DRZ.........

20. Drizzt

Drizzt Ranger

Oddometer:
    Okay, maybe more than two :D

1-how would adding bed liner to the bottom of a skid plate help with noise?

2-dpsmith-what kind of wind screen is that?

3-I'm going to add a kickstart, and after that going to order case savers. Do TT case savers work on the S model with an aftermarket kick on it?

4-Anybody have a trailtec vaper unit on their bike? If so, is it more accurate/ overall better than the stock speedo?

Thanks for answers!