Wee-Strom Vs Caponord

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Night Ryder, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Night Ryder

Night Ryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m looking for a reliable low maintenance bike with ABS to ride from Alaska to Panama next summer, and then keep for commuting for the next few years. I had decided a used V-strom 650 ABS is the way to go, when I saw an 07 Aprilia Caponord for sale for just over $6000. So I started looking online, and found that a low mileage 06 or 07 Caponord costs about the same as a used V-Strom 650 ABS, and that’s IF you can find one*. Please don’t tell me that what I need is a Multistrada 1200, a BMW with 75,000 miles or a KLR. Too expensive, too old, and no ABS. What I’d really like to hear from is someone who has had both and can compare. I know that the Strom will be more reliable, cost less to operate, and be less of a head ache to own, but the Aprilia makes more power, and has more personality... So next summer when I’m riding up the Dalton highway, which one should I be on, the Suzuki, or the Aprilia?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*There’s an 08 DL 650ABS for sale in the Flea Market for $5,500, but it’s in North Carolina. There are 2 Aprilias for sale within an easy days drive for less than $1000 more
  2. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be on the Aprilia for sure, I really like those bikes. The Rotax Mille engines are very reliable. Plus they have personality.
  3. Swaff

Swaff PNW

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Caponord. I just purchased an '07 2 months ago for blue book that had low miles and some nice add-ons. The Rotax motor is stellar. The bike is fun to ride and comfortable too. I am just waiting for Spring to get here so I can do some touring with it...

There are a few preventative things you will want to get sorted out like the Regulator Rectifier connectors. You can find out more information here:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

You can always get a Wee-Strom, the Caponord has more character though...
  4. andyhol

andyhol volcano rider

Oddometer:
    the CAPO for sure. it has character, pace, reliability.... i knew a guy who put a full power mille engine in his -very tasty.
    aslo on the plus you wont turn into one of those guy's who feels like he HAS to bang on about how your bike is reliable/ go anywhere/ value for money/ made for real adventures - because your bike is cool and badass not boring and sensible...
  5. max.headroom

max.headroom That "Retro" Digital, Ummmm ..... Dude.

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Capo .....

You'll love it ..... :nod

G.
  6. D-Fuzz

D-Fuzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear getting parts for the Capo can be iffy due to the lack of dealer support. If you are in Alaska or the middle of Central America, that might be an issue. That said, the Capo is such a cool bike. I had the chance to buy on last summer for a really good price but I suffered from buyer's paralysis for too long (stupid brain!). I'll say it before someone else does, ride both and see which one you like better.
  7. usafe7ret

usafe7ret Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The capo is a great bike, IF, and I mean IF, you make the proper modifications for reliability on the electrics. Check on the AF1 racing forum Caponard thread for how to 's on modifying the infamous brown connectors and some of the recommendations on replacing the coils.

As far as the engine goes, the rotax is great for power and long distance touring. It handles well and with the right farkles, will do nicely off road, but it is a bit on the hefty side and can give some problems if not handled correctly.

But, you can say the same about most dual sport bikes if not handled correctly.

Some of the farkles are rare and can be quite expensive, especially the oem engine bars and such.

Either bike would be great, but a a cautionary note, I'd lean more towards the VStrom. YMMV
  8. Night Ryder

Night Ryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Powerslave

Powerslave n00by tires that would be

Oddometer:
    Rode to AK last June. I was on my wee my buddy on his capo. We both made the trip. We both probably preferred our own bikes. Either will do. I would ride both then decide. The capo can feel like a big heavy bike or maybe not. In my opinion I went with the wee as it sits low and feels light which pays big dividends riding from Deadhorse to Fairbanks essentially non stop on muddy road in pouring rain for 16 hours or so. In comparison the wee is probably more utilitarian. Either way learn the bike to make those roadside repairs easier. Its a preference thing.
  10. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow - until this thread I didn't realize how much the Aprilla looks like a Wee Strom. Amazing... :D
  11. Capo Rick

Capo Rick Please understand... Supporter

Oddometer:

are you high? :huh
  12. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D Predictable response from a Capo rider... I figured it would be coming quickly. And no, only "high" on coffee. Dang, they do look a lot alike in those photos. :D

Back to the OP - ride what you want - the Capo is more exotic, powerful, captivating. But I sure like my Swiss Army Knife Suzuki. Either way, it's going to be a great adventure and I'm looking forward to your ride report.
  13. Cambambalam

Cambambalam XR six-fiddy ahrrrr

Oddometer:
    For me, the wee-strom is just too underpowered. I think the Capo would be much more fun.

But don't forget the Vee-Strom, with the 1000 motor - the Strom is much more fun.

Also, I loved my 955i Tiger. It was a great bike (very much like the Capo and Vee).

Go the extra HP :D

C
  14. A Knight Who Says Ni

A Knight Who Says Ni Been here awhile

Oddometer:

He wants ABS. The V-strom 1000 does not come with ABS. Because suzuki is stupid
  15. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    ..then get a V-Strom 650 ABS.

If you must have the extra power and sacrifice the ABS, get a V-Strom 1000.

The Aprilia, while a powerful and no doubt fun bike, has a VERY small dealer base. For a cross continent trip, the Suzuki will have a huge base of support, the Aprilia...not so much, by a wide margin.

Once you are home and commuting, that V-Strom will last a good 100,000 miles plus.

And you can make them pretty, like mine:
  16. Medic09

Medic09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty slick looking garage back there, 10/10ths. What's the house look like?
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Traveling like your planning, a DL650 is the only way to go. Most folks that you'll encounter have never heard the word "aprila" and if it's even a motorcycle. Look for a good used Strom and when you return it'll fetch you almost as much as you paid..

You'll meet dozens of Stroms on the way but likely zero Aprila owners.

Most of the folks that responded about the Capo so far have no idea about long distance travel or certainly going from AK to Panama.

It's and easy safe bet for you... Strom.... And we won't need to hear about your horror stories here if you get the Capo..
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  18. jrflanne

jrflanne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    33,000 miles.
    1 coil.
    1 set front wheel bearings.

Yeah, that's it. Of course, I have a leaky front tire that needs to be replaced. And I suppose it's time to change the oil. Does that count?
  19. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
    my ex- Capo story after 45k miles:
    1 voltage regulator at 30k
    1 coil at 40k
    clutch bearing at 42k

RIP at 45k
  20. KTMmiker

KTMmiker Moto Junkie

Oddometer:
    The Wee is a great bike (tool), so is a very good choice for long distance. I put about 7k on one a hand full of summers ago. Comfy, reliable with little to nothing left past 75mph, never mind loaded down or two up. But a super bike for the task.

The Capo is in another league as bikes go. Just bought my second one. A little heavier to pick up if you drop it. Way more motor for any loaded or two up riding.

As has been said before, bring an aftermarket rectifier with you or change it before you go. Carry a coil if it makes you feel safer (I would for a trip like that). I have had four Aprilia's with the mighty Rotax engine. Never replaced a coil or a rectifier.

As is typical of non owners, any expression of faulty reliability is basically:topes, period.