Motorcycle Dry Bag - DrySpec ™ by TwistedThrottle

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by twistedthrottle, Dec 7, 2011.

1. scottomcgotto

scottomcgotto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info for us Aussies Kevin, I think I'll be ordering some for a trip in December if you think they will be back in stock in time. I've sent a query through the website.

Looks like a great product for a very good price. Here's hoping the shipping doesn't make it unaffordable.
  2. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Scott.

We actually have the bags in stock. There is a glitch with our webstore that shows them out of stock often times when actually, there are plenty on the shelves. Don't hold off, pull the trigger.

Kev
  3. scottomcgotto

scottomcgotto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kev. Order has been placed.
  4. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    Great! I would love to get your honest opinion on the bag once you have it and after you have been using it for a while. Maybe we should find an importer in Australia willing to carry these. It seems like an easy sell down there.

Kev
  5. scottomcgotto

scottomcgotto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries at all, I'm more than happy to put up a review.

I'm not sure if you should look at a distributor here I Australia, you website is great, shipping is reasonable and we don't get slugged with the 'Australia' tax (ie we pay way the rest of the world pays, not an artificially inflated price for the privilege of living here... TT Australia charge us $15 just for their catalogue for example) like we would if you had an agent here.
  6. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    DANG! $15 for the privilege of shopping? I think we will have to reevaluate our business model. Not really. Great insight. Thank you for that. I look forward to your reviews.

Kev
  7. scottomcgotto

scottomcgotto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Package arrived today, I'll give it a good thrashing over the coming weekend and try and get a bit of a review together. Thoughts initially though are very positive, I think it will turn out to be exactly what I was looking for.
  8. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    Good initial impression.... I hope it is everything you need and more. Did you go with the D38 or the D38 & D28 pair (aka D66)?

Kev
  9. scottomcgotto

scottomcgotto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went the D66.
  10. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    Ok cool. I'm glad you'll have both to evaluate.

Kev
  11. scottomcgotto

scottomcgotto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha me too mate :) the D38 holds a lot more than I was expecting, I managed to get all of my camping gear into it with plenty of room left over for water/food as well. The small bag will be more than large enough for clothing and essentials etc. so should be the perfect combination. The test will come on the weekend when I get the chance to try mounting it on the pillion seat of my Sertao with the BMW top box taking up the rack space.

Pics and a full review will come next week.
  12. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    So I got the D66 bag system and used the D38 larger bag on a 1200 mile Southern Utah trip. Bag worked great on the back of my G650Xchallenge. Sturdy build, nice attachment mechanism. My only complaint is the slightly restricted opening size in this type dry bag. No a big deal though. This will be my bag system in the future for my G650X and GSA when a bag is needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I borrowed the D38 bag from a friend to try on an overnight camping trip a couple of weeks ago. The attachment straps worked very nicely to affix to the bike. I ride a sportbike and the other dry bags I have aren't like that. The inner liner makes sure that the bag is attached the same empty or full, plus you can add/remove items from the bag without having to re-attach it to the bike.

As mentioned earlier, a wider opening would be nice. The roll opening is a different material from the bag & makes folding it much easier than if it was the heavier bag material.

I'm really tempted to buy one, perhaps even the set.
  14. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    And the love continues... We are excited with these bags and hearing all of this positive feedback from every type of rider from adventure to sport reinforces this. Thanks for the feedback.
  15. rxse7en

rxse7en n00b

Oddometer:
    Will the Daryspec D38 work on a naked sport bike?
    I have a Ducati Streetfighter and want to get a tail bag for a trip.
    I was thinking that the front straps can hook around the passenger pegs.
    But I don't have a top rack or passenger grab handle, what is the best way to mount the rear straps?
  16. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    I've got just the thing for this issue. License-Plate D-Ring Mounting Straps:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They bolt to the back of your license plate using the existing holes in the plate. You may need to get a longer bolt for the added width of the webbing but that would be the most complicated part.

For $2.59 problem solved.

Kev
  17. cba191

cba191 wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer:
    is it possible to attach them side by side? It just seems so tall stacked.
  18. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    There are a few variables in play here. The width of the space and the two bsgs you wanted to use. I'm sure you could figure out a eay to do them side by side but i think it eould over complicate the strapping down process.

Is your concern aestetics or aero dynamically based? I can tell you that i have used a lot of luggage on a lot of bikes and rarely do things on the back of bike make a noticible difference. I have had more issue eith mis-packed side carriers causing a wobble. Aestetics I cannot help you with. You have to find a balance between your wants and needs.

Kevin
  19. Dewey316

Dewey316 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lived out of mine for 21 days and 7k miles of camping this summer. You get used to the system, and used to where things go and how to pack it, and some of these issues become...well... non-issues.

[​IMG]

The lower bags opening is smaller that objects you might be able to put inside of it, but it is also the lower bag in the system, so think about what will be packed in there, and the order of things you use. The stuff you want quick access to, and use every night that are the first things unpacked, you put in the easy to access places.

The only issue I ever came across trying to pack this, was when I was initially trying to pack it, I had hoped to put a hard sided cooler in there, that did not fit. I ended up going with a soft sided cooler in the main bag that worked. Other than that, I found that fitting clothing for camping and camp meals and things of that nature work well in the lower bag, since I normally don't access that stuff until after camp has been set up. For things of that size and use, the opening is perfect.

Now, I do have one thing that I would change if I built the bag. I actually ran into a twisted-throttle rep while I was in Lassen NP, and mentioned this to him.

The two small side pockets are the larger bag, are useless, they have no purpose. With the hard shell in them, the pocket can not fit anything in it. I can not even put my keys out of my pocket in that area, because it is too small of a pocket. If that pocket articulated out in some way, so it was actually usable that would be perfect. I have tried to find some way to use it, and the only thing I have been able to fit in that spot is a flat key ring style bottle opener. Its a small niggle, but i think you could save money and leave that pocket/zipper off, or just put a little extra material so that it was an actual pocket that you could fit small things in it.
  20. 1chrisb

1chrisb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do the black bags get hot after a day full of sunshine?