KTM 1190 Adventure R: Anatomy of an Off-Road Superbike

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Burren Rider, May 19, 2013.

1. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Danny,
    Thanks for the great pics and post about the Great Basin. I quoted the post on the GL vendor thread with a link back here. Such a sweet bike and guys in the US have to read about it instead of ride one... Soon enough we'll get ours!:clap
  2. Two Tigers

Two Tigers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was that a straight answer mate? I think you said yeah good idea!

And are you holding out on us??? A little birdy tells me that you may have a new exhaust in your possession.........

QUOTE=Burren Rider;21920909]G'Day Craig,

The benefits are probably less obvious for road riding. The standard gear ratio's seem to line up better with our speed limits using the smaller front cog though (ie. I find 4th usable around town and 6th comfortable on the open road).[/QUOTE]
  3. Burren Rider

Burren Rider Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    $350. The B & B is solid, Australian made and available so I reckon it is a good option for Aussie riders.

Rear mounting bracket

[​IMG]

Front mounting bracket

[​IMG]

If you don't need one right now, I think Joe Brazier is working on a Rallye style plate at the moment that will give even more protection for the engine.
  4. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    G'Day BG,

I got the dealer to do the first service (to keep the warranty in tact) but it looks to be a more straight forward process that doesn't necessitate the removal of tanks and fairing.

Overall the bike seems pretty good to work on so far. My mechanical skills are not what you would call extensive but, with the exception of the first service, I have managed to tinker away in the shed and get things working the way I want them to.
  5. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes & No :evil. Putting it more directly, I don't see a major benefit for road riding. It's not a bad change, just not as beneficial as it is for dirt work.
  6. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    You mean this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Aussie importer, Rod at MotoToys, happened to be at the the Wings laboratory when the first one rolled off the line so he smuggled it back in his luggage :clap. As the first on his pre-order list, I dropped the funds into his account and it turned up in the mail this week. I was forced to sit there looking at it all day until late at night, when work was finally done and the family was in bed, I migrated to the shed.

Curiosity got the better of me once it was fitted up so I fired the bike up in the shed and was rewarded with a primal rumble. Grinning like an idiot, I slipped on a helmet, idled down the road to a dirt track and let rip.

Oh my goodness, this thing sounds pleasing. Or words to that effect rolled around inside my brain as the addiction set in. I locked the rear brake into the next corner, opened up the throttle and the midnight paddocks echo'd to the sound of a V-Twin symphony and scattering of loose gravel. Twenty minutes later I returned to the shed and sat on a milk crate beside an idling bike. By now all sense of social responsibility went out the window, the baffle was extracted (in under 30 seconds) and I disappeared into the night again.

[​IMG]

The difference in volume wasn't pronounced but it certainly had more of an edge to it with the baffle out. For longer trips the baffle may be the best compromise between sound and fatigue but in the early hours of the morning on a deserted dirt road, there is nothing quite like the roar of a bung-free V-Twin throwing bulk horsepower at a spinning rear tyre :wink:.
  7. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is a first! let me tell you.. you guys in the US nearly ALWAYS end up with stuff before we do in Oz.. and usually about 6 to 12 months before we do..
  8. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    I guess that was a very hard time

:lol3

:lol3:lol3:lol3

It looks AWESOME man. I fully understand your -great- writing, happened to me when I got wings for my 990.
    Pics sucks, as usual.
    ...would you explain the glowing?
  9. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    Is that the std version?
    I've ordered the short.
  10. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    G'Day Goti,

Nothing to worry about, just me playing around with remote flashes for effect (ie. I thought it looked cool).
  11. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    G'Day,

Yeah, that is the standard one.

A few daylight photo's. Build quality looks good and the carbon pieces are very trick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    Looks great! If the new can lets it breathe more easily and gets rid of the cat is the heat blast significantly reduced now?

And just in case anyone on this thread isn't also on the other thread... Link

:tb
  13. Algarve Nick

Algarve Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This probably sounds superficial but, although I want to really like the 1190, I think the 990 was so much better looking, especially with the high front mudguard. Does anyone agree?
  14. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good mate, I think the Wings is the way to go, cant decide on standard or shorty at the moment. I like the B&B bashplate and the price, just waiting on what the 'special' price on a KTM plate comes back at!

Just got told genuine tankbag is still 7 weeks away?

Will be fitting the Radguard to mine later on this arvo.:clap
  15. speed_racer

Oddometer:
    Not at all sorry mate.. I do agree the 990 has a more 'just stepped out of the dakar rally' look. but in terms of looks on the road etc.. its more smooth/sleek looking.. kind of like something James Bond would replace the Aston martin with, once Que has hooked him up with some bazookas for the front :p
  16. Two Tigers

Oddometer:
    Yes, I mean that.......

Very tasty looking! I also have short one on way in the first shipment, as apparently he couldn't fit two in the suitcase! I'm really not sure he tried hard enough you know!

17. Two Tigers

Oddometer:
    Yeah if it was doing more dirt I would definitely put the 16 on but I suppose the question is more about the gear ratios, power delivery and whether it is happier at our speed limits, around town and on the highway without introducing more vibration etc.

I did it on my ZZr110 and it made a massive difference to the feel of the bike bringing the power down a bit to a more useable sort of area, but then I did it on my Tiger 955 and not so much as it had such a broad spread of torque to start with.

I like you have been doing quite a bit of the looking at the speedo going holy snappers I am doing 130, 150, when I am thinking that I am just trundling along at 100 or so.

18. Yascher

Yascher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have you dropped an LED in the pipe o make it glow???
    Adv_rider_Quebec likes this.
  19. speed_racer

Oddometer:
    Lookin good mate, have you got any video of you fanging around with and without the baffle?
  20. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Danny will be holding that 1190 at WOT to take that picture.
    Obviously it was done when the engine was cold.

Nice work Danny