KTM 1190 - New Wings Seat Cooler / Heat Shield

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by RobZorba, Apr 25, 2014.

1. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Although initially I fitted the heat blanket, I've now taken it off. The heat blanket causes quite a lot of "extra" heat to rise up in front of the passenger, between the front and rear seats, compared with not fitting the heat blanket. And I quite like the rider's seat being a little warmer.

With the heat shields, there is no noticeable heat hitting the riders legs, but there is "extra" hot air directed onto the passenger's lower legs compared with not having the heat shields.

I measured the contact temperature of the carbon heat shields after a long run today. The left hand shield was 75 C / 175 F, the right hand shield was 60 C / 140 F. Without the heat shields this would be the air temperature hitting the rider's legs.
  2. straightline

straightline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I may cut up the heat blanket and use it on the inside of the shields
  3. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keeping the heat in Vs. letting it escape....time will tell :deal...

I am dropping my header off for ceramic coating today...will lower the A/F a tad next....Cooler running temps....:clap
  4. straightline

straightline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The heat still comes out it just does it behind the riders legs. I never ride with a passenger but those who do may not like the shields.
  5. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    Don't think it's necessary ... CF withstands very high temperatures (used in Gas Turbine impellers) and doesn't radiate the heat much! But if you like to lovingly caress your new heat shields and not get your fingers "warm", it'll help with that :-)
  6. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    Yep, that was my conclusion as well. My passenger(s) feel increased heat on lower legs, but because it's low down and they wear riding boots, it's far less a problem for them to have the heat than for me having it directed at my inner thighs where it's quite sensitive :rofl

Taking the heat shield blanket off re-distributes the heat in quite a good way. My thighs are still "protected", my bum gets warmed comfortably through the seat, and there is less "hot air" directed at the passenger's lower legs.

From the "spy pictures" of the 2015 1190 Adv tourer, it seems KTM are introducing a heat shield lagging for the rear cylinder exhaust downpipe.
  7. Kevy511

Kevy511 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered and paid for for my can and heat shield on the 19th. Did not get a shipping notice right away like some others here did and thought that it would not arrive in time for my long weekend of riding. Received tracking info today and it looks like I get tomorrow. I'm not sure about this but I think that because they did not ship right away that they did and overnight ship (Slovenia/ U.S. Customs/ New Jersey= $$) to make up the time. I would say that's a good lookout for the customer. :bow

Scheduled Delivery:
    Friday, 05/23/2014, By End of Day
    Last Location:
    Departed - Koeln, Germany, Friday, 05/23/2014
    Additional Information
    Multiple Packages:
    Shipped/Billed On:
    05/22/2014
    Type:
    Package
    Weight:
    2.50 kgs
    Shipment Progress
    • What's This?
    Location Date Local Time Activity
    Koeln, Germany 05/23/2014 2:58 A.M. Departure Scan
    Koeln, Germany 05/22/2014 11:29 P.M. Arrival Scan
    Brnik, Slovenia 05/22/2014 9:37 P.M. Departure Scan
    05/22/2014 7:43 P.M. Export Scan
    05/22/2014 7:43 P.M. Origin Scan
    05/22/2014 2:09 P.M. Pickup Scan
    Slovenia 05/22/2014 3:56 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS
  8. straightline

straightline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine shipped Friday 5/16 and it arrived in SoCal on Monday 5/19...amazing
  9. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:

FYI - I had my pipes coated as well. No change other than more general protection now and a better matching color.

What are referring to when you say "lower the A/F?"
  10. veesquared

veesquared Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a notification mine were shipped. Should have them for my ride down to Barber motorsports and the RA rally. Anyone here going to this event ?
  11. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    Seems like a good idea ... what are the costs and benefits of ceramic coating compared with using a high temperature exhaust wrap e.g. MagmaWrap? Did you try using exhaust wrap first?
  12. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:

My initial hope would be to reduce heat from under the seat but if it does I don't feel it. I know most of the heat is coming from the engine you're pretty much sitting on the back of but was hoping. Otherwise it has another coating of protection that can be polished or initially colormatched per your preference. I've not tried heat wrap. I don't care for the way it looks and have seen where it does more damage than good when on for a long time. No other experience with it and don't recall circumstances so not sure why it made things worse.

Cost varies with desired finish.
  13. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Did you loose the cat?

A/F....bike runs lean...lean is hot...
  14. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The problem is that the majority of the heat is coming from the radiator. The fuel tank wraps tightly around the radiator and forces the air to flow over the engine before it exits under the seat hitting the riders legs.

Rumor has it that an upcoming version of the 1190 has a modded tank that has vents that allow air to exit to the sides after the radiator.

Front Vents:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with a rear side exhaust:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Davy F

Davy F Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer:
    Errrr, there are vents on both sides (which run through the fuel tank) to help hot airflow escape from the radiator on the 1190.
  16. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:

No. Cat is still in there. Just had the outside of the main pipe coated. Inside and out for the rear cylinder downpipe.

Again - What do you mean by lowering the A/F for cooler temps?
  17. fritztanic

fritztanic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you DIY the vents?
  18. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Air Fuel ratio....these bikes are running in the high 14's = lean = emissions passing = hot...
  19. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:

Technically you are correct, but for all practical purposes the current venting system does not work very well. The hot air drawn out from the radiator tends to flow back under the seat not under the small side vents that are chocked up by the side panels.

Side vents
    [​IMG]

Panels chocking up side vents
    [​IMG]
  20. GSNoël

GSNoël Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dońt agree with this theory, Just because it´s only when stopping or riding ta low speed that you feel the heat, coming directly from the left side of the rear exhaust. As soon as you have a little speed it disappears