Getting into trials?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Can we VOTE for a Sticky?

1. Yes

2. Nah

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Janet from Joisey

Janet from Joisey Bad Kitty

Oddometer:
    Hi,

My partner and I just got our first trials bike this year, a 2007 Beta Rev-3 270.

Although I can start it on a curb in the driveway every now and then, I had an impossible time time trying to start it at our buddy Boom-Boom's property this past weekend.

My partner, who is 6-ft, 4-in, also had some difficulty (we usually ride e-start, 4-T trail bikes). I'm 5-ft, 3-in w/29-inseam at 133lbs.

I was able to kick Boom-Boom's new Beta evo 290 okay in the woods; not as easy as some other trials bikes I have tried, but easier than the 270.

If I decide to try another used Beta for easier starting, should I be focusing on the compression ratio figures?

I see, for example, in the new Evo 2-stroke lineup:

290 ratio is 9.5:1,
    250 ratio is 8.9:1, and
    200 2T is 11.8:1.

For reference, our Rev-3 270 is 10.8:1.

Is the 250 the easiest bike to kick-start?

Any suggestions on an easier-starting Beta model?

Thanks,
    Janet
    BTW, we will be practicing our kickstart technique this weekend on the 270.
  2. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    No, you need to try them out and see what works for you. 2 stroke Trials bikes are hard to kick because of their low exhaust ports. Compression ratio doesn't tell the story. A heavier weight flywheel might make it start easier for you, as might retarding the ignition a bit.
    You might try a 4 stroke.
    StanBo likes this.
  3. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    I just have to add:

used bike, I dont know jack about beta, but these things are kind of universal...

Possible reasons it is hard to kick:

Carb not setup right, carbon buildup on piston and or head, general maintenence/upkeep, user modifications, and wear.

Then there are things like design changes, from CC or model, to bike of same year, and different years.

Best bet it to try other bikes. I know Tifferes who is a local club member friend of mine, rides a 11? 200 beta, she is petite, I dont believe I ever thought she struggled with kicking the 200, maybe she'll chime in. I know she had a 125 sherco before this, and could tell you how different it might be.

lower CC size would probably be better for you anyway Janet?
    StanBo likes this.
  4. Janet from Joisey

Janet from Joisey Bad Kitty

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Guys.

We will have to schedule a day with one of the dealers in our area to test out his used bikes and get an opinion on the 270.

When we took classes at TTC in Chattanooga back in 2000 and 2003, kickstarting was not an issue with their gas-gas bikes.

So, when we testrode the 270 beta, I didn't give the kickstart much thought.

We were hoping to share the 270 for x-training purposes in our micro yard. For that purpose, I'm sure we can get by with less displacement.
  5. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    I just got a 2002 Beta 270 and it starts first or second kick. One person I ride with has a Gasgas and it is a PITA to start. Try a new spark plug and I bet it is just a matter of "learning" how your bike will start. Choke/no choke, throttle closed or cracked, etc. Good luck.
    StanBo likes this.
  6. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Smaller bikes are easier to kick over- even with a high comp ratio. The 270 is a beast in comparison. Getting that big piston, flywheel and crank spun up quickly to produce a healthy spark can be a challenge. All things even, an Irdium plug can improve starting if your struggling to kick it over with speed. If your a light weight, make sure you get above the bike to get more of your weight behind the KS lever.
    \
    Good luck -
  7. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

Beta are more awkward to start than some other bikes due to high mounted kick-start on the left. However smaller capacity bikes are easier than the bigger ones, as they are always easier to kick over.

For most beginners a 125cc bike will be perfect, but the general opinion on here seems to support the idea of 270/280/300 being best for beginners, which is a shame as in most cases the bigger bikes will always be 2 or 3 steps ahead of a new rider, and mean trying to learn the basics takes far longer than with a smaller bike.
    StanBo likes this.
  8. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I agree on the 125cc bike being a great first bike and easy to start, my wife has a 2008 Gas Gas TXT Pro 125 and it was the first trials bike in the house. She is also at about 5-ft, 3-in w/29-inseam and loves the bike, easy to ride and has plenty of power for her. I am also quite sure she is learning much quicker on this bike than she would have on a 250 to 300. There are also the Sharco 200's as an option...

On the learning side I am also glad I was on her 125 for the first 2 months of riding trials. It was a great first 2 months of riding and helped tones in preparing me for the Montessa 4RT I am riding now. I am 5-ft, 9-in and 31-in inseam and the bike fits the wife just a bit better than me for reference.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
    StanBo likes this.
  9. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

Glad to see that not everyone in the US is under the illusion that bigger is better when it comes to choosing the most suitable beginner bikes! Smaller bikes will halve the time it takes to acquire basic riding skills, and from the beginners I see struggling with larger capacity bikes, not sure these would ever be feasible for less able riders on 280/290/300 machines?
  10. wb22rules

wb22rules Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Twin Shocker: You claim everyone here is of the opinion that a beginner should have the largest size motor possible.
    That is not a true statement.
    In the past when you have had these arguments with people it was because people were advising a 250+ pound man that he might be better suited getting a full size machine due to his weight. You claimed he should get a old twin shock machine so he could learn the "right way" or get a 125 or 200.

I saw a 125 trials machine for the first time at the worlds, and also saw lots of guys much lighter than me and much more skilled than I take a 5 on section two trying to go up a hill past a boulder and the bike just didn't have the power to keep their momentum going. I am very glad I got a large bike as a first for me, because my property has steep slopes and I would not be happy stalling a 125 all day halfway up slopes.

Granted in a perfect world we would all have started on old twin shock machines, moved over to small modern machines, and now have 4RT's and splatting 7 foot faces, but that is not the reality most of us are dealing with.

No wonder you get treated the way you do here :baldy
  11. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are into riding a trials bike purely for fun, and are not a beginner who is looking to compete seriously, a larger capacity more difficult to ride bike will be just fine.

On the other hand if you are looking to take part in competition, starting out on a harder to ride bike will mean getting the basics will take a lot longer, and riding will be less enjoyable.

Easy way to prove a smaller bike works better is see if you can try one on a section you find difficult/impossible on larger capacity bike. Most times you will do far better on the smaller bike, and will see that the chat room suggestions that bigger is better simply arent correct.
  12. straight_8

straight_8 SM rims for KTM wanted

Oddometer:
    Well I only seen a trials bike for a few minutes years ago...

Now I live up north and was still thinking about trials. Decided that the Ossa 280i would be a wicked "beginner" bike...Factory edition at that :deal

I went from a 640 Adv to a GG EC300 thinking that was light, boy will I be in a whole new class with this revolutionary bike. Now I am noticing boulders and faces everywhere for when the bike arrives...I will try to take it one step at a time and keep it simple but sure can't wait to do a double blip!:lol3
  13. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    If you're of age, please make me a beneficiary. I'll take the Ossa if you please. :D
    1TRAK likes this.
  14. BEEF706

BEEF706 King of the dumb dab

Oddometer:
    Hi, My name is Larry and I think I might have a trials problem. :1drink A couple of weeks ago I went to a NMTA event at Sipapu, NM. I went primarily to dual sport, but lots of people were not so subtly hinting that I should try this whole trials thing. Tony even let me ride on his spare, that was all it took! Next thing I know I have a Guest GasGas in my garage, and i keep sneaking out to the desert to turn in small circles and giggle to my self. [​IMG]
    The trials community is the nicest bunch of moto-crack dealers I have ever encountered!

Now this fine example of the Spanish moto arts is coming to live with me, I have joined NMTA, :deal and am planning to embarass myself at the next trials in Taos. Oh Lordy, what have I done?
    [​IMG]
  15. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the dark side! :evil
  16. straight_8

straight_8 SM rims for KTM wanted

Oddometer:
    Sorry but I'm not even at the 30 Year mark yet :deal...Although I do own a camper I am not even close to being retired. :lol3
  17. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, Larry. The first step is admitting you have a problem. The second step is indulging your problem whenever possible. There is no third step.
  18. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL - RideNM. :lol3
  19. BEEF706

BEEF706 King of the dumb dab

Oddometer:
    Excellent, that is my plan then! :clap Trialsaholics unanimous?
  20. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I thought step 3 was getting your friends to join the dark side with you... :evil
    StanBo likes this.