NORCAL Winters... One piece or two for a commuter suit??

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by cuonawv, Nov 5, 2012.

1. cuonawv

cuonawv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've searched all over and found varying bits of advice on what's the best type of suit is to commute in.. One piece or two..

I'm commuting on a 800GS through the typical Sonoma Coast fog and 30ish temps for roughly 30 minutes. I'm currently using 10 year old "stay-puff marshmallow" suit, one piece - no armor. The suit is literally disintegrating more at every use..

I want to upgrade, but not sure if I want to continue with the one piece suit, or just buy some nice pants to go with my new jacket.. I really like the Aerostitch one piece, but they don't look at all insulated - so that won't work.. Leaning now toward a First Gear Thermo - but I would really want a bit of armor.

Any opinions as to what works better for water proof, cold resistant and longevity??
  2. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sam,

You might want to do some searching in the 'Equipment' section.... lots of clothing discussions there. I have a pair of First Gear HT Overpants that I like through the winter. I work part-time at The Motorcycle Shop, 3383 Airway Drive in Santa Rosa. We can order pants for you....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/firstgear/ht-overpants/

Brian
  3. whutner

whutner Adventurerer

Oddometer:
    T-Shirt, Jeans and slip-ons year round for me baby. its exhilarating in the winter
  4. St.Stan

St.Stan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never tried a full suit (they look heavy and hard to put on) but if you're looking for good winter pants, I'd look at Sliders Quest 3 kevlar pants. They're very warm, almost stifling if the temp is over 60 - 70, and that's without the liner which looks like it would take you right down to icing temperatures.

Competition Accesories is blowing them out for $100 because the quest 4 just came out.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Kevlar-Quest-3-Waterproof-Pants
  5. cuonawv

cuonawv Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I like the Quest pants and definitely dig the price.. but I really want something waterproof - The morning fog is so brutal up here, I get soaked almost every morning from just the fog..

Initially, I was looking at the AS Roadcrafter, but I don't think it offers much insulation and is pretty much just a shell of an armored oversuit.

Then there's the FirstGear Thermo, but no armor..

I may end up a 2pc combo just to find something waterproof, insulated and armored..
  6. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    heated jacket with heated gloves is the ticket inside one piece Aerostich. which has to be one of the best combo's for nasty weather riding
  7. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:

I swear by my one piece Aerostich. Even with out heated gear. Good layers is all it takes.I also swear by my Patagonia R1 layers:dllama:dllama And very important to be warm before you get on the bike!!!!!!
  8. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    T-Shirt and jeans??!! Sheesh, are you kidding?? This is California! I find that all I need is my Polar Buff, Gore-Tex gloves, and Uggs. :D
    [​IMG]

(P.S. I hope you all know that I am kidding...)
  9. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    60-mile commute from Sac to Fairfield, all year long. One piece Aerostitch that's over 13 years old. Seam seal and wash-in treatment helps keep the heavy rains from penetrating. I've also discovered to watch out how the front "buckles" while in the sitting position. Make sure it's tucked in a way to prevent collecting rainwater and putting it in your crotch. Heated jacket liner and heated grips is all I use keep you cozy and not feeling like a Stay Puff Marsh Mellow Man.
  10. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    Aerostich one piece for 12 years now.
    I commute Oakley to SSF so I know what you mean about the fog.
    I find the one piece is warmer than my two piece suits.

The suit is warmer than you would expect and with proper layering
    you will be comfortable in any weather you may find in Ca.
  11. obadiah

obadiah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is 50 door to day. I wear my stitch for colder 8 months out of the year. Not expensive if you consider an almost daily use that is amortized over 5 to 10 yrs and pays for itself in your first god forbid off. People that complian about donning or removal time have never tried a stich. They are faster than a 2 piece. I can't recommend a stich for NorCal highly enough.

Obadiah
  12. cuonawv

cuonawv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new AS Roadcrafter.. -

I'm curious about sizing though. According to the website, I'll fit between 40 and 42R..

BUT, I plan on wearing this over my standard BDU uniform. Are these online size recommendations taking into account wearing normal clothes underneath?? My waist jumps from a 34 to a 36-38 if you take into account my uniform pants.

Sooo, should I get the 42 or consider jumping to a 44?? Anyone have any experience with AS sizing?

For reference, I'm 5'10" 180lbs, 34" waist and 40R jacket.
  13. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Call Aerostitch and talk to them about your needs. They'll take care of you.
  14. cuonawv

cuonawv Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm going to call them on Tuesday (assuming they're closed this weekend/monday). However there's one ending on Evilbay on Sunday that I think "may" fit.. I'm just trying to get some idea of the sizing.

I can't get over the value retention of these things.. 12 years old and still 60% of retail.. That speaks volumes to me..
  15. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I prefer the Darien. Never really liked the feel of the "coverall" that the Roadcrafter provided. When seated and wearing the Warm and Safe jacket under, I could feel the tension of the Roadcrafter pulling down on my shoulders and the cord from the W&S cutting into my shoulder. The Darien allows separate movement. Think of wearing a coverall and try to work behind the dash board of a car, either you can't lift your arms high enough, or you start talking like a soprano and not like the gangster type.:lol3 And yes, I contacted Aerostich about it and they said it was the right RC for me. Neither is insulated or lined. You may want to look into the Teiz, we have an inmate in the vendors section.
  16. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with bigger al, I've had my two piece for six years now. When I bought it, they re-designed their website on how to get you a better fit for what kind of riding, bike,etc. Sure, it's not insulated but that wasn't what I was looking for. Have to admit, some of the stitching came loose but they fixed it for free under warranty when I sent it in for cleaning. Their customer service was very good in the past but haven't delt with them lately. Worth a call, though
  17. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had one-piece and two-piece and always prefer the latter. Two-piece is just so much more versatile. My commute had similar weather to Santa Rosa (coastal fog + Silicon Valley heat in summer; winter lows around 30-35F), and my Spidi or Firstgear jackets plus Aerostich Kanetsu vest and rainpaints over jeans were always warm/dry enough. But in the end it's a personal choice of course ...

-dman
  18. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Sam....it's Sam from Santa Rosa (Cloverdale) as well!

I have the Olympia X-moto two piece and it's a fantastic combo. Nice layers and excellent venting for hot days so amazing versatility. I have been toying with getting a Stitch for years just haven't saved the funds to pull the trigger.

Sam
  19. PK.

PK. PK

Oddometer:
    I agree with Brian,the First Gear HT over pant and the FG Kilimanjaro is a great combination . I've been wearing this for my commute from SR to SF for years
  20. jsg161968

jsg161968 daydreamer

Oddometer:
    Klim Latitude baby! Two piece allows choices.