What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Tancakar

Tancakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol why did you do it then ? I wasn't gonna say anything but this isn't make sence :) I am assuming you just do it for fun then ..:norton
  2. GreatWhiteHunter

GreatWhiteHunter Lovin' Life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I changed the stator and regulator on my 530. TrailTech is above stock in image. The stock stator is supposed to be an upgraded unit as the 530 is a Six Days model. I can't believe it by the look of the windings in comparison to the TT unit.

[​IMG]
  3. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    FYI, those LED lights worked awesome! Took a spin last night.

Some have poo-pahed the inexpensive DDM units. They are advertised as a work light, and may not hold up to the rigors of off road. Based on another inmates comments about parts coming off the board, I opened mine up and found the toublesome coils he mentioned are now epoxied to the board. They also seem to be pretty well sealed.

At 1/5 the price of a Baja Designs unit, I'll take a chance. If one dies on an infrequent night ride, I still have the other one to get me back. I'm running one flood light and one spot light. It seems to be a good combination. If I am going to be doing much road riding, I can wire the spot into my high beam switch & aim it further down the road. For now, I can just reach up and re-aim the spot when I get onto the road.

[​IMG]
  4. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    I was modifying the screen for the twin light insert so did the lip at the same time purely for looks.
  5. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    275 mile ride yesterday through the CO mountains. First I snagged the tag in Fairplay.
    [​IMG]

Then we stopped for lunch in South Park.
    [​IMG]

Then after cutting across the mountain into Breckenridge and through the ring of fire that is Denver I stopped in for a pint.
    [​IMG]

Once I got home I installed the CJ Designs clutch cooler/reservoir that showed up in the mail.
    [​IMG]
  6. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I could see where the larger reservoir would be a benefit, but a cooler? :huh There is no measurable heat generated in the master cylinder.
  7. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    I don't know I wanted to flush out the system and add some bling at the same time. Plus it orange. :)
  8. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    "The CJ Designs KTM hydraulic clutch cooler holds more than 3X the stock amount of fluid, and helps to keep your clutch fluid cooler and topped off."

elron
  9. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally finished the engine rebuild and got the bike running. Here's the bike as we were doing exhaust gas testing.

[​IMG]
  10. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    After putting on a prefilter it was restricting this a bit, wanting to keep the jetting factory for our trip I opened up the side triangles a little bit, use green scrubbies from the kitchen department, they cost 1 Quetzale each so about 12.5 cents each ... big spenda :D

This is the M1 version retained by mesh, hopefully this will derestrict it enough to hold factory jetting.......let ya know what happens .

Tomorrow we leave Antigua and head for Guatemala city till Monday then off to El Salvador.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Managed to borrow a disc grinder, did the job in our lagguage school foyer :D .. no one cared and they were all interested in what the whiteyfoo was doing.
  11. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    Dropped mine off at STM Suspensions to get the forks serviced. On the way there I stopped by Elite Motorsports in Loveland and rode their 990 Baja demo bike. Man did I like that. I don't know why people say the fuel injection isn't as smooth as the carbs, the bike was a lot smoother than my 950. Stock exhaust note left a lot to be desired but it was a sweet bike.

I wonder if I should buy one, wait for the 1190, or just keep my 950.

On another note, I'm really contemplating the CJ Designs dual cooling fan kit. Anybody using it? Thoughts?
  12. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to order one of the second fan kits as well.....

Tonight I went into the garage to install my new brake pads to get the %*$#@$^) squeeling to stop!! I made a special trip on Saturday to the nearest KTM store (about 45 miles) to get pads. Left the store happy. Tonight not so happy.........wrong pads. :fyyff

Why me?
  13. Grayjet

Grayjet Ride on!

Oddometer:
    Second cooling fan has been great on my 990. I would overheat in slow traffic after coming off of a freeway run on even moderately warm days. I installed a 2nd cooling fan and voilá, no more overheating, even in 95 degree heat. I have the lower temp sensor ready to install if needed, but haven't needed it yet.

Hope it does the trick for you.

14. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    Yeah, me too. I got stuck in traffic hell coming down I-70 and my temp light came on a few times. Never for more than a few seconds but still. The bike also spit coolant out if the overflow hose on the expansion tank. FYI, when that happens your boot gets wet and it burns a bit.
  15. mathews42

mathews42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Idea! :clap
  16. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Lights and saw carrier worked well. Gave new meaning to "Bike to work day". Rode & cleared trail after my day job. Eventually ran out of daylight (and energy).

[​IMG]
  17. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We need to see more pics of that chainsaw mounted to your ktm Chuck Norris style
  18. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    Loaded it up and got it ready for my trip to Inuvik!
    I leave AZ at 6am for 16 days!
  19. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon LC GSA/Helix

Oddometer:
    Picked up my 500excSM and headed to the Canyons for a couple of hours

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  20. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK
    OC, that piston skirt looks a bit bright - is it worn? Have you a better photo?