F800GS Bitubo Fork Kit

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by DockingPilot, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    ***knocks on wood***

I've had mine in for over a year now and have done quite a few hard off-road rides, a bunch of easy ones plus commuting on an almost daily basis. Mine are still holding up just fine.

John, shoot me a PM with the shop's info wouldya? I suspect I'll need it sooner or later plus I could stand a slight revalve to back off the compression damping. Thanks! :thumb
  2. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I'll send you the info, Yeti.

So, are the spent cartridges for sale?
  3. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have had great results from mine. They've been treated as harshly as I dare to for fear of breaking something more significant on the bike and are still working very well. I will have them serviced this year though. (For reference I think they've got in the neighbourhood of 40k kms now over mixed terrain.)
  4. guzzimike

guzzimike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine's just started clunking, seems to be topping out. 20,000km.
    Seems to still be working though.
    Jeeze this bike eats money like a crack whore.
  5. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    That's what mine felt like. Not on compression but on rebound I would hear it. Started as a faint occasional clunk and ended up getting really loud a day later.

6. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    I put roughly 5,000 miles on my tube-ohs before setting off on the TAT for another 7k. I have hit a lot of washouts and big rocks and logs and water breaks a little faster than I should have along the way, and mine are still suspender-ing just fine. I fully expect them to blow out at some point, though, based on all the reports here so far.

I'll probably just spring up :wink: to the Ohlins units when that happens. These are nice for the price, definitely a big step up from the stockers, but I don't find them to be as plush as I'd like.
  7. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine are still suspendering fine. I kind of considered them a disposable item while waiting for something better.

I bought mine from Herdan, nice guy, but not much insight provided on what they were. The result was generic valving and spring set up that was not personalized.

The valving not as plush as I wished. The spring and gas pressure really raised the front of the bike. Sag numbers were not to my liking even with no preload. Ended up using Ohlin springs to both soften the front and bring it down.

Perfectly adequate for a 500# bike and an old man's riding skills. Undecided where I will go when they go TU.
  8. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Maybe I will buy all the spent cartridges:deal
  9. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Just have them rebuilt. :norton You can even have the valving adjusted to give a bit more plushness!! :clap
  10. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:

You are kind of pusihing that. Are you a collector or just looking for a spare:rofl
  11. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    For me, having a spare set seems to be a good idea. I don't think many folks will be buying the Bitubo kit in the future.
    I do like the way they are working for me, so I think I'll stick with them.
  12. skamikazee

skamikazee Noviço

Oddometer:
    Mine started spitting oil from the top on compression, under the right adjustment knob, did anyone experience anything similar, I hope it's an easy fix, i suspect it's a busted O-ring on the cap?:huh
  13. fusionzone

fusionzone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any able to share their compression and rebound setting for the bitubo fork kit?

Had recently install the kit but no matter how i set it, it just feel very harsh.

Current Setup:

Preload - 3.5 round
    Compression - 5 Click
    Rebound - 10 Click

Thank You

Regards
    Andy