Aussie ADR question

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by IsAnOzzie, Nov 12, 2012.

1. IsAnOzzie

IsAnOzzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1850mm is the maximum width allowable for a side car, where is the measurement taken from?
    The two outer most points?
    the centre line of the wheels to the edge of the sidecar?

I thought I would ask the brains trust first rather than hassle with the RTA or Maritime whatever they are called.

:ear
  2. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    To my understanding its overall width.
    Outside of sidecar to outside of handle bar.
    Which seems like an arbitory rule made up by some one for no real reason.
    If you have a double width (2 seat side by side) chair it must put the rig over width?
    Increased width gives greater cornering stability when you turn towards the chair or away I suppose to a lesser degree.
    Cars can be wider and trucks at 2.5m are the normal max width vehicle on the roads.
    2.1m wide would would be easily viable I should think for a long and heavy (big engined) bike.
    Anyone with more wisdom on the subject out there? :huh
    Its a question I had myself.
    Cheers, Bruce.
  3. IsAnOzzie

Oddometer:
    thats exactly right, just picked up a double HRD which is about 1100mm, the bike is a Kawasaki VN1700. will be a tight squeeze if thats the case.:eek1

Might have to get the rego with an apple crate attached, then swap to the HRD once it has passed?
  4. oppozit

oppozit Banned

Oddometer:
    ADR 43

Motorcycles Manufactured on or After 1 July 1988

43.4.5. ‘Overall Width’ (including any ‘Equipment’)

43.4.5.1. The 'Overall Width' of any motor vehicle (other than an L-Group vehicle) or trailer shall not exceed 2,500 mm.

43.4.5.2. The 'Overall Width' of an L group vehicle shall be as follows :

43.4.5.2.1. In the case of a two wheal vehicle (LA or LC), the maximum width shall not exceed 1,000 mm.

43.4.5.2.2. In the case of a three wheel vehicle (LB or LE) or a motor cycle with a side car (LD), the maximum width shall not exceed 1,850 mm.

So if you want an outfit wider than 1.85m it needs to be attached to a motorcycle manufactured before 1 July 1988 in which case it can be up to 2.5m wide.
  5. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's really nuts.1850mm is only 73"

I thought Aussies had better sense than that.

Judging from the pictures on adv of Aussie rigs, most look out of compliance.
  6. sidecarcrazy

sidecarcrazy grandad in gladstone

Oddometer:
    Yep, just measured mine, a BMW K1100 with home made chair, 1950mm wide.
    The only time I had to put an outfit over the pits in 1978, R60/2+ chair they never bothered to measure the width, that was at Rosebery rego headquarters in Sydney.
    PJ in Gladstone South Australia.
  7. IsAnOzzie

Oddometer:
    thanks peeps, looks like it is just going to fit, might fit a kids bicycle wheel to the hub for measurement :rofl
  8. oppozit

oppozit Banned

Oddometer:
    Most coppers haven't a clue about sidecars so there's no problems until someone gets involved in a collision or meets a smart-arsed copper or scaley, that's when the big problems start. Non-compliance means your un-roadworthy, unregistered and un-insured so even if your in the right - you're stuffed. Really needs to be changed retrospectively to 2.1m.
  9. IsAnOzzie

Oddometer:
    Well you could make a point on safety grounds perhaps, narrower = less stable. More likely to lift the sidecar in corners.
    Still we live in a country that can't even have common road rules nation wide. now that is ridiculous!
  10. Tussocktopper

Tussocktopper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes a narrower set of handlebars will get you registered then put on the bars you want later.
  11. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    MMmm. I just measured the width of ours ,1880mm close :D

Cheers Ian