Group buy for new tool

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by knobbyjoe, Oct 24, 2012.

1. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
  2. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why? I dont mean to offend but putting the first half on takes me seconds and the second half goes on almost as fast. That just seems like an expensive waste of money to me.
  3. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    For me it's like wrestling a grizzle. I'll take a gamble on the tool to make my work easier.
  4. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    I'd say its specifically designed for mousse tube applications rather than normal tyre fitting. Mousse tubes can be a real PITA without the right tools.

I didnt notice the price but I bet you could pay someone to change your tyres for 5 years and still be in front
  5. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    This is for guys who've never changed a tire and don't want to learn until they have a flat. Be Prepared! I find they also tend to carry ball peen hammers and cheese slicers in their pack mules too.
  6. veltex

veltex powerball win needed

Oddometer:
    I like it, almost seems that the same tool might be able to flex the bead out enough for dismounting if the tire is lifted up as its flexed out, no? It might also be even easier with a little soap, thought I heard squeeking in the video. Does any one in the US have this tool?
  7. Nomadix

Nomadix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Standing directly above the centre of the Earth
    This tool is for those who haven't noticed that every rim is carefully designed so that the bead on the one side can be dropped into the "well" while the other side is easily and quickly levered into place. If you're wrestling with the thing, you're doing it wrong, and probably trying to stretch a steel hoop. The same applies for dismount.
  8. veltex

veltex powerball win needed

Oddometer:

Geez man, whats with the negativity? I do actually know how to change a tire, the whole family rides, dirt, dual sport, adventure, a little street, tires do get changed here. I draw the line at balancing at home though. I dont know that I will buy this tool, but I like to embarace new ideas and concepts, you never know when they may turn into something good. In years past I have had tubes in truck tires, and split rims as well, ever see a guy change a truck tire with irons? Do the current, up to date, busy tire shops use irons or machines that make tire changing easier and faster? I dig low tech ways of doing things, but there is always room for new ideas and techniques, its nice to support both. :D
  9. veesquared

veesquared Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have owned a Coats 220 manual tire changer as well as. No-mar pro and a Hammond full auto tire machine . But my favorite low tech solution is. 30 gallon grease barrell with split radiator hose on the rim. I started out with my old scuba weight belt in the bottom to steady the barrell and threw hundreds of old wheel weights in as I changed hundreds of tires. I use two irons and three rim protectors . I made a bead breaker out of square section tubing . I use RU- glide for tire soap. Properly lubed I can mount the first bead totally by hand and close to 3/4 of the second bead. Bought a static balancer for 90.00 and some tire tools like valve core remover and a good pressure gauge. I still have the No-Mar but I use the barrel most often . If you look around you can find free barrels. For me at 5' 10 it is a perfect working height.
  10. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the internet, and ADV! this thread will probably become a pissing match before it dies!
  11. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    It's a tool. I like tools. I'm getting one.