Suzuki TU250 - anyone seen/ride one?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by anomad, Dec 10, 2008.

1. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    That fender brace IS a front fork brace. Many older Yamaha street bikes had a similar piece, but it was welded to the underside of the front fender so you either had to cut off the front/back overhang or run the fender as-is.
  2. Moto13

Moto13 Riding to Relax

Oddometer:
    Read the link. Thank you for that.
    They don't really describe what the difference is, though, other than it's 'better' with the brace.
    Will the front tire skip when leaning hard? will one of the forks bow and that be felt at the handlebars?
    What exactly happens?

As much as I'd like to think that I ride pretty hard, I really don't. I usually take it easy. I got the TU specifically because it takes you back to a time when you just luxuriated in the pure essence of motorcycling and enjoyed the scenery. I'm not sure that with my medium-to-mild riding the brace would make that much difference, but I'm more than happy to hear any thoughts/opinions on the matter. :D
  3. CDNbiker

CDNbiker Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    The honest answer is "I really don't know how much a fork brace actually helps" and of course we live in a time of lawyers having design input on everything from toasters to motorcycles. The TU is a pretty light bike and I suspect there would be little to no difference with or without a brace. But only the lawyers know for sure...
  4. Moto13

Moto13 Riding to Relax

Oddometer:
    Agreed! Damn lawyers!

I'll ride it without the fork in the next week and let you know if I feel there is any difference.
  5. rycomm

rycomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just happend to stop by one of the larger dealers in town today.
    I was looking for a used TU. They had none, so I inquired about the best out the door price for a '12 TU. They thought $4000 was the best they could do. I prefer smaller dealers, and was hoping for less than 4K.
    Is that unreasonable for November?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Ryan
  6. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    I have heard of people getting them cheaper. But that's about what I paid for mine.
  7. schnutzy

schnutzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i paid 3800 out the door, but delt with the DMV myself. if i let the dealer deal with them, it would have been 4000
  8. onewire

onewire echo tech

Oddometer:

Yes, It does protect quite well. I haven't done a lot of miles with it yet. No twisties. But I can tell it makes the steering heavier so I'm taking it easy as I feel out the new dynamics.
  9. Moto13

Moto13 Riding to Relax

Oddometer:
    Do you get any 'bubble view' effect with the shield? That's always been one of my gripes with larger-than-a-few-inches-tall windshields - they block my view of what's going on right on front of my tire, and a few feet ahead (like when I go down my gravel driveway).
    Either way, I still think yours at least looks the part! :D
    Keep us updated on your opinion of it.
  10. rycomm

rycomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would still have to pay sales tax, registration, and licensing on top of the 4K. That was just the bike and their "prep and admin" fees. That is why I prefer the smaller dealers. I still have the possibility of getting a "new" '11 that was used for the season at a MSF class. I haven't heard back from that dealer though. Good thing I'm in no hurry.

Thanks,
    Ryan
  11. Andy250

Andy250 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just purchased a TU250X 2012 ("grey" with black frame). Picked it up brand new yesterday. I have only read up to page 50 of this thread.

What I have done is have the dealer replace the front sprocket with a 16T one before delivery, and this is the result of browsing this thread and looking at posts on the tu250riders forum.

First impressions: I find the bike very pleasant to ride around town with decent low end torque and very forgiving. The clutch is nice, gear shifts are crisp, however the shift lever looks blah and needs blinging. I am still running it in and plan to do all the maintenance myself.

I am a reborn rider, from an absence of over 30 years. Before deciding on this particular bike, I tested the Triumph Bonneville, a honda CB400SF Revo and a Ducati Monster 696. The Honda was best IMHO as an all round bike but as I wanted to practice motorcycle maintenance, the Honda was out of the equation, inline 4, vtec... was too hard to start with. (the CB400SF is only available in Japan, parts of Asia and Australia)

Next: remove the stickerssssss !!! :D

Cheers everyone

[​IMG]
  12. surly357

surly357 Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer:

saw a used 2012 on denver craigslist today for only $6000....

that should sell fast....:huh
  13. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    Just moved to Hong Kong. Thinking of getting a TU 250 'Tracker' as the dealers seem to have a few used ones here.
  14. James Cook

James Cook O.H.M.S

Oddometer:

Mates and other riders think you are a bit queer buying a TU.Peer pressure is alive and well when bigger bikes are the go.
    I am enjoying my TU, fun just comes at a slower pace.
  15. Chaplain

Chaplain Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey y'all - just thought I would post so you know that I have not gone off screaming into the night; but I am still disgusted with myself. Not only was my trip an epic fail - the rest of the week and the one following was pretty heavy duty in the office.

After a full weekend of working in the basement I managed to get TU #1 down the steps into a cleared area in the basement. Tearing down the top half the engine will now be easier (even a garage or shed would not be as warm as the basement). Also, I've spend some time browsing the service manual. (Part No. 99500-32160-03E).

And, as Mrs. Chaplain's TU needs some exercise now and again I did some of my errands on TU #2. (The unstated understanding is that if I bend her bike or hurt it in any way I make it good or get her a new one).

Now that DST is past it is time to burn some midnight watts and take TU #1 apart. (for those just joining - the oil drain plug 'feel out' - meaning I didn't get it tight enough). I'll have to get a photo account so I can share pictures of what I find inside. It may take me a while, but I'll get there. What a way to get an education. sigh.
  16. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    I'm on my phone kinda hard to see but is your tail light square? I have a 2012 mine is round like all the other ones I have seen but yours looks square.
  17. CDNbiker

CDNbiker Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    You will "get er done" in no time I'm sure. I expect most of the damage will be on the top end. Probably some scoring of the piston and cylinder wall. I've been thinking of dragging my YL1 project bike into the basement too. Starting to get a little cold in the garage now. Looking forward to your progress reports.
  18. CDNbiker

CDNbiker Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    I think all the "Down Under" bikes have the square taillight. The bracket looks the same though. Maybe we can trade round for square...
    Since its already Monday there can one of you Aussies please give us the lotto numbers at the same time you confirm the square taillight??
  19. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you in Japan?
    Do they still make the cb400ss?

Other parts of the world get all sorts of very nice small and mid size bikes.
    I think the cb400ss looks fantastic, not sure how they ride, but they look great and seem to be the right size motor.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Honda_CB400SS_Special_Edition_2007TMS.jpg

20. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:

What a tasty selection of small bikes you have there compared to North America.