The BEST Continental Divide ride report EVER!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NCD, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report! :clap
  2. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Only ride report I have ever read from beginning to end twice.. I laughed just as hard the second time through.. nice writing.
  3. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah! Killed some time at work. :evil Looking forward to the lower half report. It's a great ride. Catch the Shadow of the Rockies trail heading back north for more non-slab traveling fun.
  4. bwbeck

bwbeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was Awesome!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  5. WTF-OVER

WTF-OVER Yeah, Its Got a Boxer

Oddometer:
    fun report..:deal
  6. Jwats

Jwats Bike till u Die

Oddometer:
    Good RR keep ckick photos going. Oh, that's it, ok still good RR. Thanks, Joe
  7. Hakatan

Hakatan quality > quantity

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great ride report.

I can't believe it's been five years since I rode the Great Divide with my brothers. Good times, in a great part of the country :norton
  8. WHITEHOUSE

WHITEHOUSE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Second time I've read your report. THIS time, I didn't wait for the picture to load! Great report, better second time around. Thanks.
  9. BigKnobby

BigKnobby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride, great pics, but I could have done without the Dice Man-style narrative. Good rides (and this was a fantastic one) don't need any help. Less is more...
  10. QuidProMoto

QuidProMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really? Seriously? Your on an internet forum and you want less wording? Ummm.... are you sure your in the right place?
  11. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, youze don't like my postin, huh? Those girlz was too much for ya? (Sorry, it's hard to type a Dice Clay accent!)

[​IMG]
  12. NCD

Oddometer:
    Now wif MOAR!

I was back in the area a few weeks ago on my Junk Drawer Trip, and managed another 100+ miles or so of the route. I motored up to Como where I left off in 2011, and it felt like home to be back up to speed on the route. It's just soooo fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the bumpy road and my vigilant rehydration got the best of me, so I pulled over to take a whiz. I then realized that I was pissing at an ‘intersection’ of sorts.

[​IMG]

Really? What the hell is this road sign doing out here? This is the ‘road’ leading to the West away from that intersection:

[​IMG]

The sign just seemed so out of place. Little did I know that a major douching was on the way. But not from the sky.

[​IMG]

I misjudged this crossing by a longshot. I saw the rock poking out on the left (right in the pic) and shrugged it off as shallow. Holy shit was I wrong. That rock must be sitting on a dam ledge or something. As I plopped in it was immediately apparent that this is deeper that it looked! My knees were pushing the wake, and water splashed up an onto my arms, chest, and shield. I couldn'’t see a damn thing! I just gunned it and churned through and up the other side. The rut is pretty visible. Luck prevailed on that one. Damn you Ivo. (This ride was just a few days after Tropical Storm Ivo had been through.)

Salida is down there somewhere:

[​IMG]

Through Salida for some lunch and gas, and onward toward Lake City via Marshall Pass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was fun to meet several Divide cyclists taking a break up on top of the pass. Hats and helmets off to those adventurous souls willing to do the CDR on bicycles. I’m a lifelong cyclist, and have done lots of crazy long distance stuff on bikes – but I think a motor is good equipment to have along on this route.

[​IMG]

Shortly after Sargents, heavy rain cock-blocked me from taking my intended dirt route to Lake City. (Thanks Cannonshot, at least I was prepared!) But in CO, a road detour is still always a great time, and it left me with some time to chill and look around before calling it a night in perhaps the best moto camp spot I have ever scored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Traveler’s note: Listen to the campground host if there is one. I missed that site, as it was a walk-in. I had the whole place to myself, so he suggested that spot as the best view in the place.

That's it for this installment. Now I need to get my ass back out there and see it all the way to Mexico!
  13. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good update! A day after torrential rains, I got stuck in some shit mud a little bit above that Badger Creek crossing. Had to so SPOT message to wife to send help to get my bike out of that shit. I need to go back and get that portion but it will wait till summer.
  14. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    One piece at a time is OK by me. Thanks for the update.
  15. NCD

Oddometer:
    Yessir. There were sections during the week where I could tell that if I were a few days earlier things would have been impassable. Especially in Moab.

No problemo! It's fun to get in here, dust things off, and move forward a bit. The final push maybe next Fall or the year after. I need to research the best time to do the southern section re: weather.
  16. Hermy

Hermy Where's this road go?

Oddometer:
    What was I doing in September of 11? I sure missed this kickass ride report! Glad I caught it this time.
  17. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:

A little ways south of this campground there is a clearing, I think the sign said it was Moose Meadows, (or something like that), We saw a HUGE bear. It looked as big as a cow. It was running much faster than any cow I have ever seen and it was headed towards the campground.
  18. NCD

Oddometer:
    I don't doubt it. The don't put the warnings up for nothing. If memory serves me right, there were attacks not to far from here the year before.
  19. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Some dude linked your report in the Ohio thread so I just read it. Freaking great. I dig your sense of humor. Nice update to the original story, too! :clap
    Foot dragger likes this.
  20. NCD

Oddometer:
    Thanks yo! Just showin' the crew round here that the Ohio boys got it goin' ON.