Lobsters to Llamas, Maritimes to Argentina

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Kedgi, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I am having an issue finding the tires I need. I can find the front a 90/90 21 but not the rear so far.

I would like to find a 130/80 17 Michelin Anakee 2

There is a shop in Corpus that has a rear but it is narrower and taller at 120/90 17 and that doesn't appeal to me in high temperatures with a heavy load and bad roads.

The Kawasaki shop in Laredo called me and said "I can't find Michelin Anakee 2's I think they are discontinued. :huh

There is another big shop in Corpus that's closed today. Everyone keep their fingers crossed that they have the tires I need. If not and if worse comes to worse I'm stuck for a few days waiting for tires. I would have thought this would have been easy. I bought the tires off the shelf in tiny Moncton, NB Who would have guessed they would be tough to find in Texas.

The shops in San Antonio are another option but they are closed Mondays too.
  2. motor-ray

motor-ray FNG

Oddometer:
    I'm glad we got to meet up and I hope you enjoyed your time in Louisiana! Safe travels. I'll be following along! :clap
  3. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    My friends Tim and Sandy, that I met last night during football have invited me to play shuffleboard at the Salty Dog this afternoon.

It's not all bad taking a day off from riding and waiting for Motorcycle shops to open tomorrow

[​IMG]
  4. dbmet

dbmet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The two stores in Victoria are closed as well on Monday.. The last store is another in Corpus But I haven't ever seen much in the store..Lol

d
    Heres there names and numbers
    Dales Fun Center
    9802 North Navarro Street Victoria, TX 77904
    (361) 578-5288

Velocity Powersports
    13102 North Navarro Street Victoria, TX 77904
    (361) 570-6767

Irv Thomas Honda Suzuki
    1110 S Padre Island Dr
    Corpus Christi, TX 78416-2115
    361-857-0127
  5. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

Thanks for all the info

Surely, Someone in Texas has an Anakee 2 to fit a KLR. I'll check out the guys you suggested tomorrow

PS had a great time playing suffleboard i love the crowd that's living here in Port A

Thanks again for the support

Kedgi
  6. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    Killer RR so far, and the best is certainly yet to come.
  7. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have got more milage out of Conti Trail Attack tires - than the Anakee I tried. About to put my 3rd Conti on. That is an option if any are available.
  8. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    make sure you get a tire, any tire as 17's are difficult to find, i use them and in Tabasco (one of the larger cities in Mexico) there were only two one for 1800 and the other was 3100 pesos. I've had great luck with Kenda K270 getting over 10,000 miles on every one if thats available. Here in Antigua i found three!!!
  9. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

Thanks for saying so and thanks for reading

Leaving Port Aransas early to try and get the tires I need in Corpus.

Wish me luck
  10. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

That's an option. I love my Anakees and I trust them, which is very important. I did a 55 mph "get off" thanks to a front tire blowout in July on a well worn Mefo tire. (I wrote about it on ADVRider I think you can find it by Googling ADVrider front tire blowout) Decidedly not fun, and now that I have done it, I want to avoid doing it again. . I only have to be in Panama in early December so I can wait and I can definitely think of worse places to wait than Port Aransas. This is a great little town. assuming of course, you like blue sky, warm weather, friendly people and cheap beer.
  11. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

I read about your tire troubles, thanks for taking the time to post that info. It is why I had planned to pick up new rubber here in Texas. It never dawned on me I might have trouble finding a set of Anakees here in this great state. I mentioned my tire woes to a guy at the Salty Dog last night and he said "Somebody in Houston has those tires" He has to be right. I'll find a set.

No worries. I will find a set somewhere this week and get underway again. In the meantime I'm enjoying my stay in Port Aransas immensely. :freaky
  12. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I tried the Kawasaki shop and they cannot get Michelin Anakees. Their supplier does not have them. I tried the Honda Shop and they can get them but it takes two weeks.:huh

I went back to Kawasaki because they said they could get me a set of Metzler Tourances in two days. Ordered:D

Now I'm back in Port Aransas, chillin' til my tires come in.

My GPS took me on a magical mystery tour to the Kawasaki Shop. Past the shop, which I didn't see as it was on the other side of a big expressway, across town from West to East then it made me make a u-turn, go 15 miles north through an industrial park called the Fulton Free Trade area, then it told me to cross the I-37 and head 15 miles south again:huh It must have been trying to avoid the Interstate which I have it set to do. It ended up I had the complete ride around Corpus, North, South, East and West what should have been a 45 minute ride was more like two hours. I don't remember Corpus being so busy but man they drive fast and crazy there. I am very happy to be back in Port A with tires ordered.
  13. dbmet

dbmet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you got your tires ordered. I forgot the part about the drivers over there. They drive fast and bad!! You should see it when it rains. It's really bad. Enjoy Port Aransas!!
  14. Clay Spinner

Clay Spinner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this... great report and sounds like a good ride. My mothers family is from South Branch, outside of Rexton so we drive through Shediac frequently to visit relatives in Moncton and the summer spot on old indian island road. Take care and maybe I'll pass your way when I next in NA.
  15. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also just came across your ride report today. I'm all caught up and enjoying your updates. Count me in!
  16. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

Most places I've been you'll see signs on the road, "share the road with bicycles" Here they have signs reminding drivers to "share the road with motorcycles"
  17. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

Glad to have you following along. Shoot me a PM if you're coming to the Shediac area.
  18. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I only took two pictures yesterday on my ride to Corpus to get tires.

This is when I northbound on the Fulton Free Trade Zone road leaving the city behind me and beginning to wonder where the GPS was taking me.

[​IMG]

Then while I was at the Kawasaki shop it occurred to me to snap a shot of this cool rig they were servicing

[​IMG]

On my way back to Port Aransas or Port A as it's called here. I took a swing out to the beach. This is Mustang Island Texas, Port A's Beach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is one of Port A's marinas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have had a great time in Port A. The first day I was here I met Sandy

[​IMG]

and her husband, Tim from Minnesota, who Winter here.

They are great and have "adopted me" We're going to play some shuffleboard tonight

Tim

[​IMG]
  19. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    It occurred to me to take pictures of my Anakees so you can see how well they wear. I have at least 7000kms mostly with a heavy load, on these, and would ride them a lot longer if I wasn't going somewhere I can't buy tires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figure when they start to "go away" they will go away fast and that's why I need new rubber.
  20. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Amen brother! I learned that years back in Maine where it cost me 330 bucks to replace tires that would of cost me 200 at home on my , then new , '02 R1150GS. You bet I change them now just in case.
    I also wonder about the availability of 18" rears would be betta than 17's ? May be a good reason to lace in an 18" rim to the rear on a KLR if your gonna be traveling lots on it.