Sacramento Riders Thread DS & ADV

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Parx400, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Since Scott called me out, I guess I have to respond......:D

Yeah Mark, I have the tools, and I've been known to wrench on a few things. I'm near Madison Avenue and Dewey Drive. But if you come to my house, Scott has to come over, too! :deal :lol3
  2. markrmark

markrmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Thanks PatSmith, oldtrucks, Scott & Cpt Ron!

Cool group of guys!!!

OK

Well since you both offered!... Maybe I should grab some tires (maybe MT-21 front and D606 rear) and come over? Is there a time that works for you guys?

I'm gonna call around and see if I can get these tires locally.

As for jets, it looks complicated... man does it look complicated, like service manual disassembly pulling the bike apart type complicated... maybe I should go get that done at a dealer or some'fin. Don't want to get in over my head too fast.

Mark
  3. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    You have to take the seat and tank off to get to the carburetor. If there isn't a bunch of smog stuff with a zillion tubes like on the stock XR650L, it's not that hard to pull a carburetor out modify it, and put it back in. However, if you want to keep the smog stuff and it's a rats nest of tubes and other stuff, like the XR650L has, then it can be quite a trick to get it all back into place again after. I've done that once on an XR. If I ever do it again, all of the smog parts are going to be removed, since that's easier than hooking them back up properly.

If I had taken an extra ten minutes to label everything when taking the carburetor out, it wouldn't have actually been all that hard to put it all back in the right place. :deal
  4. markrmark

markrmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for all your help so far. This looks complicated:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850186
  5. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    The hard part was dealing with all of those smog hoses. Do Canadian bikes have all of that stuff? You need to go check.

It looked like that tutorial was also doing something with the valves too.

In any case, I suggest tires first, then decide if you want to fool around with the jetting or not.
  6. markrmark

markrmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah... I ordered a 606 for the rear and MT-21 for the front... will go get them from Folsom tomorrow or Friday...

You guys have time this weekend for me to swing by for a tire changing lesson??? I'm rip rarin ready to rock!!!

Mark
  7. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I have other things Saturday and Sunday that don't involve motorcycles, but Monday is a holiday, so that's a possibility. I'm willing to show up at Ron's house if you do it then.
  8. markrmark

markrmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK that sounds good. Thanks Scott! Ron are you free Monday?

:)
  9. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Let me check with the family unit. The boys are off the entire week and I'm not sure of the plans.
  10. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Don't hold things up for me if you can take care of it earlier.
  11. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested in doing a adv ride to Usal beach on the weekend of march 1/2. camping at usal beach and coming home the next day.

sac-kings ridge road, stopping at bones for early lunch. fish rock to 128 then back over mountain view road to hwy 1. Taking that all the way up to usal beach. If its early enough maybe a rip on the super fun part of hwy1 to 101.

bringing lots of wine for camping. lots of man talk.

PM me if you want in. most people will be on big ADV bikes.
  12. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    One of the weekend days would be better, but the weather won't be nice.
  13. Sandbogg

Sandbogg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just saw a flyer for the showing of "Why We Ride."

Where; Dutch Flat Community Center

When ; Sunday Febuary 16, 2014

Time: 1400

I am going, hopefully we will see acouple of you Adv'ers there! :)
  14. markrmark

markrmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not afraid of a lil' rain... can you pm and let me know if you can do it on the weekend... ? I don't think Scott can do it til Monday but if you're open to helping a n00b out on the weekend then good on ya! :)

Thanks,
    Mark
  15. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    Hey, my old stomping grounds! I grew up at Madison and Auburn, right behind the Lucky's.
  16. markrmark

markrmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm... might be a good opportunity to get a ride in, too. I can do some easy dirt roads and light trails..

Morning/early aft Dual sport ride + Moto film = Awesome day?

What say ye riderz?
  17. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    How about Saturday? My XR needs a fork seal and rear tire, the 950 needs a crash guard straightened, and the BMW needs a valve adjustment...

I'll open this up to any other locals that need shop space/time or just want to hang out and watch us get our hands dirty.

Not before 11:00. PM me for my address.
  18. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Now I'm bummed that I'll be doing something else on Saturday. Sounds like a good little get-together. I would be glad to work the big hammer on the crash guard for you. :D
  19. cogmeyer

cogmeyer under adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi - I haven't been on here in years - cool to see all the Sac area riders posting up.

I'm Taking the family to Fort Bragg for a little vacation in May. A perfect chance to get away for a day and ride some dirt roads, then meet up with them in Ft Bragg.

Has anybody ridden those Sheetiron roads lately, but not during the Sheetiron event? I have seen some mention around of gates maybe being closed etc, just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of getting through there.

BTW if anybody wants to join, I will do the ride Friday May 7th.
  20. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:

markmark?