Thinking about buying a leftover 2012 350sx-f

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by mylsmkj, Dec 6, 2012.

1. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone with experience riding this bike off-road? I ride technical stuff- desert, I currently ride a 2007 400xcw, like it but want less weight.
  2. Wentjo

Wentjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine has one and loves it. He rides technical single track all the time.
  3. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm a bit worried about the bottom end....and top-end!:lol3
  4. airjammer

airjammer Western USA

Oddometer:
    In my opinion , It is a Supercross bike. I know a few MX riders here in GJ, they had never really done any trail riding..when they did it the first time on their track bikes, they were hurting..They tried it on trail, enduro bikes and were blown away by the difference...soo, SX-f.. Great for the track, big hits, double triples, and whole shots....as such, it's going to be punchy off the bottom end and into mid-range. I believe these are 5 speeds, and have a stiff suspension. For riding around Moab or GJ and longer trail rides, I'd go with an Xcw or cross country oriented bike...you can still do technical stuff, but more of it without getting beat up..
  5. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Pshaaa.. works great for Taddy as an enduroX bike. How much different from stock could his really be?
  6. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    Any chance you could get a ride on one before you purchase it? They are a lot of coin.

Keep in mind the SX models don't have the electrical output of the XC or EXC models, so if lighting is something you would like, it won't support it without a stator rewind (or aftermarket stator) and some additional bits.

The 19" rear wheel is a bit more prone to flats, no kickstand, and the muffler is not USFS spark arrestor approved. I believe the gas tank is smaller then the XC and EXC but not sure on that one.

The big ones for me would be less flywheel wieght, so more prone to stalls, more snappy power delivery (can be good or bad depending on what you like). And of course the suspension as someone mentioned above, good for MX, not so good for off-road.

Lastly, the 350's don't weight that much less then the 450's, although some say they feel lighter.
  7. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! I've decided against it. I think that if I was a racer it would be great, the biggest thing for me in the versatility department is the 5-speed closed ratio tranny. I think the suspension would be fine though (maybe a bit harsh in 1st and 2nd), I've ridden a 2011 350xcf and 2011 250 xc with stock suspension when I weighed 180ish (fluctuate between 175 and 195) and I could do with stiffer valving and proper springs.

I think that the power delivery ? is right on also, but this is more a factor of your left hand than your right in technical stuff.....and I need a better left!

I just don't wannahafta change sprockets all the time......thanks CC!
  8. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Factory motor, factory suspension, clutch and levers customized 15-20 lbs. lighter and 2 speed tranny (I know you were joking), My money would be on him winning Endurocross and Super Enduro on a stock bike with just clicker adjustments.......The hard enduro circuit Jarvis might be able to do the same.:1drink<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  9. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a 2011 350 xc owner I would not give up so fast.SX is the same motor as XC except for 6 speed tranny.Same electrics so I put a Trail Tech stator in so now I can basically run anything I need.I put stiffer spring in rear and it is great suspension. I ride Moab area 2 weeks a year and it works excellent.There is no hit on the bottom end of the 350 motor.Pulls smooth and possibly a little weak a small percentage of the time. I weigh 270 ready to ride and this is one sweet ride. The other thing about the 350sx is that they are very cheap.
  10. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Nah.. the titanium hardware, full factory works engine and custom suspension are just rumors. He told me they just slap on a custom graphics kit and call it good.

If you bought the SX, you'd be smokin' him in no time.
  11. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Guys get my autograph now...I'm going from lowly low intermediate to the best, "in no time"!!!!!!!!!!

For real though, I read that the guy can't use the factory titanium axels because he bends them too soon, so he has to use stock axles (steel) to get through an endurocross (and replaces them after every ride).:eek1
  12. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 50/50 landing on that log at :38 would certainly explain why he needs beefier stuff. :eek1

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sWlqu1SKGpM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    I read that article too. And watching him in person, I believe it. His EX style is just pure aggression. Any time his bike is airborne he has the throttle pinned to the rev limiter and he's leaning way over his front tire just waiting for the bike to catch and launch.
  14. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hFDBtnbPYYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vcsu0WF1voc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IIpZAbIHBlI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's easy to find faults in his riding if you look!:1drink
  15. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't criticizing his riding, just saying if you operate at that level of aggression the bike isn't going to last.
  16. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just BS'n/giving crap to Thump, not discounting anything you said.
  17. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha right on, another thing to consider. The sx has no kick start.
  18. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I think that Taddy rides a 350 in EX to help sell 350's. He rocked on his 2Ts but KTM is basicallly selling all of the 2Ts that they can make.
    Tiko, why not go for a 300? That is still the best hard technical bike out there, IMO or course. :D

....and it's not too bad in desert either. If I could afford it, I would have the 300 for technical and buy a 450XCW for desert.
    But, for a combination of both, I think that the 300 will do desert better than the 450 will do technical, so that is where I am at.
  19. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ugh, im having a hard time making that decision right now myself. Tech or desert, tech or desert....
  20. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Let me help:
    1) Tech
    2) 2 stroke
    3) buy this and tell me if it's as awesome as the specs appear so I can get one.

[​IMG]