Pure Gas

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Willie B, Jun 3, 2013.

1. yellow 1150GS

yellow 1150GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Tennessee usually 25 cents a gallon. For the difference in mileage and the way the bike runs, to me it is well worth it.
  2. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Here in Idaho, Ethanol and Non-ethanol fuel (at different stations) are the same price.

I'm lucky to have an ethanol-free gas station on my way to work so I fill up there.

It is my hope that someday consumers will understand the "evils of ethanol" in fuel, and not support gas stations with ethanol in the fuels.

And let's hope the pending regulation of E85 based fuels does not pass.

Q~
  3. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!!

Oddometer:
    Since the ethanol mixed fuel has less energy density than pure gas, a percentage of the cost is the best comparison.
    Roughly, I see about a 10% difference in fuel economy. Therefore if I consider only the fuel cost in my decision (I do not btw), I can roughly multiply the "cheaper" ethanol fuel price by 1.1 to see if the pure gas is really more expensive.
    i.e. $4/gal 10% ethanol will give me the same cost/mile as $4.40 pure gas.

edit - fitting that my 1k post includes fuzzy math :1drink
  4. yellow 1150GS

yellow 1150GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a news article in Reuters news today about the E-15 situation and the lawsuit challenging the EPA by the American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers who represent all the big oil companies. It is being taken to the
    Supreme Court with the oil companies saying the EPA has overstepped their authority by mandating E-15 without the necessary testing. All auto manufacturers except Porsche have stated that they will not warranty their product if forced to use E-15. Oil companies are withholding necessary materials from distributors in Kansas to sell E-15. This is where it has started to be sold.
    Oil companies have stated that they will seek legislation in Congress if necessary to do away with this new problem.
  5. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!!

Oddometer:
    Something needs to be done. I guess the oil and corn lobbyists will fight it out.
    Taking a highly subsidized commodity and adding to fuel should make no sense to most of us (end users and taxpayers).
    This may be heading downstairs...
  6. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not true.
    Premium can be alcohol free, most contains alcohol. There are stations that sell no alcohol premium. They usually only have one hose per pump so you almost always get 1/2 gal of bad stuff.

http://fueltestkit.com/order.html

Buy one of these and see what you get.

Rod
  7. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Been here a little too long

Oddometer:
    Just hit one of the places on the list, Lone Camp in Palo Pinto Co. Tx. We are talking out in the stix here folks.
    Sign on the pump, "No ethanol free fuel" :puke1:cry... added a comment on the pure-gas.org site for the station.

Make sure you read any comments (details button) on pure-gas site, about the a station or call, before heading out to fill up.
  8. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a bunch of :topes THERE IS NO MANDATE FOR E15. One industry group (Growth Energy -- growthenergy.org) asked the EPA for a waiver so they could push E15. Now another industry group is pushing back, saying the EPA shouldn't have allowed the waiver.

This is two industry groups fighting each other with the EPA in the middle. That is not a mandate... that is industry knowing how to push your buttons.
  9. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If we all drank more beer, this ethanol thing would be solved!
    Kt-88 likes this.
  10. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, I just learned something!

Worked perfect and now they are in my Zumo. Only problem is the closest one is about 40 miles away.
  11. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On Saturday I rolled into a Shell (might have been Gulf) station in Burnsville, NC. It had special pumps with a blue hose. They were marked "conventional" gas and had 89 octane, the equivalent to mid-grade. (that's ron + mon divided by 2). Price? Same as ethanol mid grade. Could we be seeing a trend? That was a brand spankin' new station from a large brand. Most of the stations selling alky free around here are definitely not main line gas stations.

Oh yeah, I got about 250 miles out of that tank rather than my usual 210.
  12. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Been here a little too long

Oddometer:
    that is good news. hopefully they out sell the ethanol pumps.

Make sure to add the station to the pure-gas.org website
  13. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting that it's mid-grade. Ethanol provides an Octane boost.
  14. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So does tetra-ethyl lead, mtbe, etc, etc. The thing about those is they don't reduce the amount of energy in a gallon of gas like ethanol. Ethanol does increase octane which is saying the gas burns slower and does not detonate. It also produces a significantly less amount of energy than pure gas. You can now find regular and premium "conventional" gas all over this area, but you did have to pay extra for it. Mid grade was rare. That is another factor that makes this incident so unique, a major gas company, mid-grade, and no cost penalty. Did ya know the gasoline companies don't like ethanol. Less profit than conventional.
  15. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pure gas has a little over 3% more energy per gallon than E10, whereas gasoline has about 2% more energy per gallon than gas with 10% MTBE.
  16. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    How is it that people claim 15 percent increases in fuel consumption when they use E10? If the additive had no energy value, it would only cause a 10 percent reduction.
  17. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good question, no thoughts on why someone would experience 15% worse fuel consumption.

I'm not a particular fan of ethanol as an additive but the main issue for me is its effect on in-tank hose lifetime. 3% less energy density doesn't seem like a huge problem as that's about 1.3 mpg less gas mileage. The economics are mainly political issues.
  18. ratster

ratster Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You either misunderstood the driver or you were talking to a total twit. Ethanol is blended as the trailer is being loaded. It may be loaded first and then the gas,or it is blended in as the gas is loaded,depends on which terminal you are loading at.
  19. ratster

ratster Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are a Exxon dist and cannot have conventional gas at any pump that is under the canopy,because its not a Exxon product. We are converting our kerosene tanks to accept conventional gas. Those pumps aren't under the canopy and they are staying busy:clap
  20. iride4u

iride4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Haines Junction at the Shell station on the hill where you turn to go to Alaska, they sell Benzene and it will screw up your bike.