F800GS vs XL700 vs DL650

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by hicksamunga, Oct 4, 2008.

1. hicksamunga

hicksamunga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if these bikes have been compared by magazines or websites i've been searching around here but can't find any decent head to head comparisons

:type
  2. nat_han

nat_han 2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer:
    there's a small review of the XLV 700 Honda Translap, Yamaha Tenere XTZ660, R1200GSA, Triumph Stelvio, Benelli Trek, etc in the November edition of Cycleworld, but no DL650 or F800GS. sad... was looking for this comparison too..

any one any idea?
  3. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    UK magazine "Two Wheels Only" tested and compared XL700V Transalp, XT660Z Ténéré and F800GS. Conclusion:

"At the end of the day, we have three very different motorcycles suitable for riders with different needs... The Honda will belong to ladies, pensioners, dispatch riders and will disappoint few of its riders. It wont affect the pulse but will deliver you to your destination in comfort.

The GS is a bloody gem of a bike. It was the one bike that each rider had to be prised off... The F800GS is a truly exceptional motorcycle, and one that's certain to get more people on to bikes like this."
  4. nat_han

Oddometer:
    Great! glad i made that choice too! haha..
    if only "Two Wheels Only" was available to me here in SE asia..

may i know the month of the magazine issue? november?
  5. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. easyman05

easyman05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like this magazie but was subscribed to BIKE only. Have bought a year subscription of TWO just now. :)
    Thanks!
  7. nat_han

Oddometer:
  8. beep

beep Guest

I've ridden the Transalp, Vstrom and F650GS (800 twin). Very difficult to choose between them, but I'll probably end up going for the Vstrom which is certainly better than Transalp in virtually every aspect except offroad ability and build quality. It was a lot closer with the BMW, which felt a like a lighter version of the Vstrom with sharper handling. I won't be going for the BMW, simply because it's a bit pricey and am not happy buying a bike in the first year of production. But it's fractionally better than the Vstrom in many aspects, but not enough to justify the extra money. But the Suzuki is noticeably more comfortable than both of them. All bikes are very easy to ride onroad.

As for the F800GS, I suspect this is in a different league, in terms of outright performance and offroad ability. But it is expensive.
  9. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the power output of the DL650, the new '650' beemer is 71hp. I suspect that for most people it may actually be a better bike than the much more soughtafter 800. And the price of the BMW 650 at $8255 base vs. $6999 for the Wee isn't too far off considering brand 'perception' and in reality a longer warranty.
  10. Chader

Chader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The DL650 ranges from 60-65hp from various tests I have seen.
  11. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Someone recently posted HP ratings for the 650 twin, vs the DL and the BMW is rated at 65 @ the wheel, & my 05 Wee was dynoed at 64 @ the wheel with 6000 miles on the odo.

12. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    i disagree re: the twin-650... I think a year from now it will be solidly cast as the ladies version of the real thing.... the mad boys will be on the F800GS all farkled out

and such reviews, while provided lite entertainment, are seldom realworld. I would gladly enjoy chasing the testers of any of the aforementioned, mounted upon my lowly 97 DR. they would never shake it off
  13. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    "I think a year from now it will be solidly cast as the ladies version of the real thing"

I think it already is being cast that way with the color choices. What I am saying is that for the amount of time that most people (myself included) spend off-road, or use that 14hp advantage the 650 would be a better bike.