Flat tyres - What to do ?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by outsider580, Jan 12, 2013.

1. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    This one works good ..uses CO2 things as well..you can set the bead with this one just by hand...I've had it since 06...Name on the business end says Topeak....dont forget ..99... 100 change hands...:D

[​IMG]
  2. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old ringers trick in the west, fill your tubes with acyrilc paint. :deal
  3. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    The Topeak Morphs all have
    a tube between the pump and the tyre valve
    a foot that means the bottom of the pump can be held on the ground with your foot
    a fold out handle that gives a good grip for your hand

Those all help with pumping up your tyre.

I like the road morph best at that comes with a rough air pressure gauge, good enough for me and my estimated air pressures. You could also go with Len Beadells' method - count the number of strokes to go from flat to your required pressure and simply use that from then on.

On any of these pumps watch for bits loosening off and separating from the pump... best if they are in a bag so said bits don't get lost.
  4. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    What colour? :evil
  5. Reckless Relic

Reckless Relic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't worry we've all done that,:baldy the best way Ive found to prevent it is to put a bit of air into the tube just enough to round it out into the tyre itself the other thing that can help is to make sure you don't try and force too much at once take it in little steps particularity as you get to the last bit.
  6. rutsthematter

rutsthematter Yes they are

Oddometer:
  7. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you have everything nearly in place (before you seat the final bead), put some air into the tube, just enough to puff it up. That gives it a better chance of it moving itself out of the way. Let the air back out and do the final seating.

(Is a bitch, practice helps but pinching a tube is always a risk ...)

Another tip, once you have the old tube out run a hand around the inside, check for more stuff poking through.

Pete
  8. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    I carry all that gear and a bottle of Slime. The last flat I had the srew was very close to the center of a tubed tire. Slimmed it and road for another 150 miles before I replaced the tire. Dont' forget to be nice to the shop and tell them the tire has slime in it.
  9. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Red or white, if your tyre goes flat use the paint to right SOS on the road or across your bald head. :wink:
  10. outsider580

outsider580 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I now have my bike kitted out with everything I think I would need for dealing with another flat tyre,
    Hopefully next time I'll be able to get myself home.

Might go for another run tomorrow if the weather looks ok.
  11. 59DEN

59DEN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same pump as Numbers for a few years now, a good quality pump.
    If you travel off the beaten track it doesn't hurt to put on your new tyres yourself with the gear that you carry with you, practice can save you a lot dramas when you are away from the latte machine.
  12. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    If carrying spare tubes around regularly, especially in a tube bag on the fender etc, I've found it pays to take the tube, lightly inflate then deflate again and re-pack the opposite way every now and then to avoid constant chaffing, & the lovely surprise that this tube you've been lugging around for a year is useless when really needed.
  13. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I'm trail riding I take a spare front tube and tools. Just riding down the highway I'll usually call someone to pick me up in a ute (that's only happened once, and it was my own fault: the pressure was really low and I had no bead lock. It slipped and tore the valve stem off). I know a local tow truck who only does motorcycles and he's cheap, since it's just a 4wd with a trailer.

I almost always do my own tyre changes. It's good to be practiced! The local bike shop fits them for "free" but they often give me a small discount if I fit it myself.

Something to keep in mind, when the tyre is warm from riding it is *much* easier to work with. With practice it really is a 5 to 10 minute job on the side of the road, but always takes longer at home in the garage.

Sometimes I wonder if those bicycle puncture repair patches work on a motorcycle? They're good for ~100psi but I suppose motorcycle tubes get a lot hotter than bicycle tubes.... I think I'll try them on my next flat. It's probably good enough to get home?

If I saw one of my mates going through all that trouble, I'd give the bike a healthy kick. Laying a dirt bike on it's side for a while isn't gonna do any harm. Are you afraid it will get dirty?
  14. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    Haha try removing and re-fitting a rear wheel while the bike is napping
  15. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    Once you've changed mousse tubes at home in the shed doing normal tubes is like fixing push bike tyres.
  16. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on the bike I guess, but I've done it several times with no issues.
  17. *nick*

*nick* lost.

Oddometer:
    for those of you new to the whole tyre changing thing this two-part instructional video I think portrays the best technique, changing tyres is only hard when you're doing it wrong.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qw0B2gIwbBg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mTatadVNA-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. *nick*

*nick* lost.

Oddometer:
    I've also heard a good rubber safe grease liberally applied to the inner tube works better then talc for preventing chaffing and pinching as talc just turns to mush after the first ride through heavy rain or a creek crossing anyway.

I use UHD inner tubes when i take the XR out on the trails with knobbies but most of the time the bike has road rubber with standard tubes, I have never tried or had to try to patch a UHD tube, is it possible? It got me thinking, which is the best tube type to run when dual sport riding and what type of 21" tube should I use as the on-board spare in case of a puncture?
  19. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    True, mousse lube (or I use a brew of rubber grease and cooking oil in my mousses) in the tyre with a UHD tube does work well, however I did get a rear flat at one event with this method so I switched to mousse tubes. The other beauty of mousse tubes is the weight saving of things you don't have to carry. Unfortunately mousses are no good for long distance or heat.
  20. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:

He's fitting tyres that look like you could just about fit them with your hands. Look how easy he pops it onto the rim in the second video.

I'd like to see if he could get a 606 off an on that easy.