Seeking riders for San Francisco to Alaska this summer.

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by SpecialAgentNancy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Final Drive

Final Drive Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have subscribed to the thread. I plan on leaving the SF Bay Area on the last week of June. I have a little more than two weeks to get to the Arctic Circle and back down to Anchorage. Plan on shipping the bike back.
  3. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ferry over from Port Angeles, WA. The Coho Ferry link above will give you all the info. If you're already in Seattle it's a bit of backtrack but that ride out there is beautiful. If you want to run north from Seattle, check if the Anacortes ferry is running to Sydney, BC. It'll run through the San Juan's and is a fabulous ferry ride. Sidney is about 15 minutes out of Victoria.
  4. dpifko

dpifko Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer:
    I agree with others' recommendations - take the Coho from Port Angeles rather than going through Vancouver, B.C.

On the island, the road to Tofino and Ucluelet, and the coast between them, is pretty spectacular.
  5. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    *top* :D
  6. Ma Duce

Ma Duce TBD

Oddometer:
    I used the Delorme InReach last summer. It worked all the way up to Deadhorse. You can text up to 160 characters with it. I don't have the Spot, but I saw others up there with them, so it must work I'd say. I'd like to ride up this summer if I can get the time off.
  7. jeff the chef

jeff the chef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I and our Super Tenere will be arriving in Portland on July 3rd from Austalia and will be leaving on the 8th for an 11 week ride to Alaska and across Canada.
    We are planning on going north on the Cassiar Hwy then to Fairbanks via Anchorage. After will go on Top of World Highway and Campbell Hwy. If interested please pm us. We are planning stop overs in Hyder, Haines and Fairbanks.
  8. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Playx3

Playx3 n00b

Oddometer:
    Two of us are leaving Pendleton OR on June 16th to ride the Alcan my lady is flying up around the 20th to meet up in Wassilla then she flys out the following Friday and we ride back home
  10. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    would like to head north a week early but still dont have anyone to share the ride with, ideally leave the bay area June 8-10th
    stop off at Lassen and crater lake, with a night in Portland and Seattle. have an invite to Victoria Island too.
    thinking to ferry from port hardy to haines around the 14/16 so i can fit in a Seward, Homer, and Valdez rides before heading to D2D
    heading back with McRuss if we get along :)
  11. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IF I were you, and had the time, I'd take the ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Coola and the road from Bella Coola to ? (don't recall where it comes out but it is a serious road) then pick up the Cassiar to Watson Lake. It is a long voyage from Port Hardy to Haines, very similar to the one I took in '94 from Skagway to Bellingham. But it is your ride :1drink
  12. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No doubt the Bella coola is a great ride, but if she wants to get to the Cassiar the best ferry to take is to Point Hardy to Prince Rupert, from there Hwy 16 (Yellowknife) up to HWY 37 (cassiar) to Watson Lake, Getting off in Bella Coola would add another two days to the ride to get back on the Cassiar.
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    :d
  14. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are right. I was fantasizing about the ride I want to take some day! I agree that her best bet from Port Hardy would be Prince Rupert and then 16 and 37.
  15. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a shop in Haines where I could have my Battlewings swapped for my TKC's on the Tiger?
  16. Schleprock

Schleprock Let's Do This!

Oddometer:
    If your going to D2D, just ship them to Dick in Dawson. Would be a lot easier. Hth
  17. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    I want the TKC's before I hit dirt going there :)
  18. Schleprock

Schleprock Let's Do This!

Oddometer:
    Are you coming up through Whitehorse or from the West side through Tok? You won't need knobbies, particularly TKCs from Whitehorse on YT-2. It's a mix of Tarmac and hard logging road type material with little gravel. Even if you are coming from the Tok side it's really not bad. When I was up there a year and a half ago, it was raining like crazy and it wasn't bad.

On a side note you could ship tires to the Yamaha dealer in Whitehorse. My MT90 came apart outside of Whitehorse. I went to the Honda dealer (big mistake) and paid almost 300 bucks for a Heidi K60 and a sweet pinch flat 80 miles up YT-2 to Dawson. I have heard good things about the Yamaha dealer and they helped me out on my way home when I popped into Whitehorse after Prudhoe. The Alaska dudes will pipe up on road conditions. Srock
  19. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    There are a couple ADV'ers in Haines tho I don't recall their names. I'll search later.

Mark H.
  20. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    If you are talking about the Taylor/Top of the World Highways then TKCs are generally overkill. Battlewings should be fine. Ask the folks riding Wings and Baggers what they think.

If you are coming up the Klondike Hwy from Whitehorse, then it is all paved.