Wolf Side Racks + Kriega US-30 = ?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TwoShots, Jan 17, 2012.

1. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Can be done, but it will always be a 'jerry rig' situation.

We actually have a seriously good framed and frameless pannier system, called the OVERLANDER, which will offer 30 to 60 liters of bombproof side-slung capacity, due for launch soon. I can't say too much about it right now, but will be able to in a few weeks. Safe to say, it's going to be pretty darn special and hopefully answer all the questions commited ADV'ers have about panniers.

If you want to let me have a few more details about your bike and the type of riding you have planned, I'll be happy to see if Kriega can offer a solution for this situation. Plus, you can always call on 504.872.9367 if you'd like to discuss your requirements in detail.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Cheers,

Michael
  2. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Mike. Please post back here and in Vendors when it's available. I'll send bike info in separately.
  3. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well now you've done it. How many weeks is a few weeks, reckon?

Sarah
  4. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    He certainly has! How can he post about new gear and then tell us he can't tell us about it!!!

Spill dammit! :D
  5. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Kriega solution may be good though, so might be worth the wait. Well for me anyway as it's still snowing here.
  6. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
  7. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey Sarah,

Prolly three. As soon as I'm fully up to speed on them, I'll be posting details on here and the Kriega USA Facebook page. And Dom (the genius who designed, developed and field-tested the Overlanders systems) will wade in with the hardcore technical stuff at some point soon too. :clap
  8. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess I can stand that, thank you!

Sarah
  9. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    I have a Kriega US20 that I use as a tailbag on my F800GS. It's the most water proof bag I've strapped to a motorcycle. I'm looking for a luggage system for my TE630 and was wondering the same thing as the OP. Hopefully the new Kriega overlander rack will fit my almost-mythical bike otherwise I'm going to see what I can do with the Wolfman racks.
  10. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Just to let y'all know, that after a *slight* delay, due to Dom (who designed the gear) being an absolute perfectionist, I am pleased to announce the arrival of our new range of hardcore Dual Sport pannier and Rack Loop mount systems and bags.

The initial batch is now shipping and is expected to move pretty quickly. However, our inventory will be constantly topped up from the UK on a weekly basis, so it's unlikely that we'll ever stock out for more than a day or two. You can also contact your favorite Authorized Kriega Dealer (more being added all the time - see the Stockists page of www.kriega.us) to ask about ordering your choice of gear.

More info and images of the new range can be viewed by clicking on any of the following photos:

OVERLANDER 60 (shown here with one of the four included 15L bags mounted, along with optional RotopaX gas/ water cells and an additional US tail pack attached with optional Rack Loops)

[​IMG]

OVERLANDER 30 (shown here with optional US tail pack mounted using included Rack Loops)

[​IMG]

RACK LOOPS
    (set of 4, used to mount US tail packs without additional hardware)

[​IMG]

More info here: http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...&id=3409715bbb

And on www.kriega.us.

As always, do not hesitate to post up any questions you may have (please click the following link to post them in the Kriega Kit Q&A thread in this section, so I can answer everyone's questions together) or get in touch via the phone number or email on our website.

Cheers!

Michael
  11. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey Senor,

If you're looking for a pannier frame-mount system, then it all depends on whether you can get the right metalwork for your Husky. If you can either have a Touratech, Metal Mule or KTM Power Parts 18mm frame modified to fit your bike, or get something with the same frame dimension and diameter fabbed up, you'll be good to go with the Overlander 60.

That said, the Overlander 30 does not require any kind of rack, so it could well be the best bet. I can't see the fit being an issue, as long as you can find a solid forward fixing point for the ladder-lock strap, and providing that the heat shield on that lovely exhaust system does its job.

Failing that you could just get a set of Rack Loops and secure your US-20 or - if you wanted more capacity - a US-30 on the rear fender, using them.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Michael
  12. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Misplaced Farmboy Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Wolfman bags are hard to beat. Initally all the straps had me wondering what I had gotten into but now I see that if you want a good tight package it must be secure...
  13. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    +1 on that.
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wolfman rack ordered courtesy of the Dual Sport Armory Black Friday sale.

I'm hoping to use a US-30 on left and US-20 on right (exhaust) side of my XC. I'm thinking this is going to work almost perfect. Dimensions on the rack in stock form seem fine. The beauty is that it allows some serious expansion with my US-10's. If not, as much as I love my Kriega bags, I'll likely put them in the FM and move on to an Ortlieb setup. No one builds a better bag than Kriega, but I'm tired of the seat mounting solution and starting from scratch with the $$$$$$$ Overlander isn't an option for me.

I'll post pictures when I have the racks. I think this is going to be a sweet setup!
  15. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey levain,

Please feel free to drop me a line when you're ready to start putting this together. As mentioned previously, our US packs are designed to work perfectly as tail bags, but not panniers. So while it is *technically* possible to side mount them, there are some considerations to assess, such as the fact that they don't have stiffened bases / backs to give the bags structure when hung vertically and not relying on the quick-release clips to support the weight of the bags etc.

I'm more than happy to run through these with you in the hope you can continue using your beloved Kriega in this alternative configuration.

Cheers,

Michael
  16. levain

Oddometer:
    Thanks Michael,
    I'm sure others would like to know if/how this will work.

I really want to a) use the Kriega bags I've already invested in, but b) use them as panniers instead. A solid rack is the first step towards doing this. I'm thinking that I'm going to need to rig a strap that will go over the rear seat to basically support the bags, then use the standard Kriega setup to strap to the racks. I'll likely need to upgrade the US20 to the alloy straps.

Once I get the racks installed, I'll be able to play around with it. I do think that this could be the ultimate setup if I can make it work. I'll do my best. I really don't want to switch bags. I'm not sure there is a better bag than Kriega.

Stolen from Colebatch's amazing RR. I'm hoping to mount roll top up, but here's someone with (almost) my idea.
    [​IMG]

With all due respect, it seems Kriega could've (should've) designed a system that could incorporate the bags that many of us already own, rather than reinventing the wheel with new, smaller, more expensive bags!
  17. levain

Oddometer:
    First off, I felt like I was cheating installing the Wolfman racks. I had them on my bike, including removing the Caribou rack and reinstalling in 30 min. It's such a joy working with such fine craftsmanship. They fit, they're STRONG and they look pretty good.

On to the Kriega bags. Here's a teaser, I'm running out for the night...

US-30 on left. US-20 on right, and works:clap Quite well I might add:wink:

[​IMG]
  18. levain

Oddometer:
    The US-30 works, but it seems a little oafish. US-20's look right. US-30 just looks big, but not nearly as out of place as most aluminum rectangles look:huh. I only have a down sleeping bag stuffed in it so the bag takes a goofy shape. I'm sure if it was actually loaded it wouldn't look so funny. The bag is rock solid on the rack. Doesn't move at all. I may play around with some type of solid something in the bag to stiffen it up a little. It seems to need that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

US-20 fits the rack almost like its made for it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to play with the straps, and I need to get another set of alloy straps. They work better for this application giving more options for mounting. I may even try the rack loops for the bottom of the wolfman rack since there are two perfectly drilled holes in the rack already. Not sure what they're for, but I think the Kriega rack loops will screw in fine.

I strapped the top strap around the passenger grab rails. These aren't taking any of the weight. They're more just holding in place, then the bags are held tight to the rack with the straps. The Alloy loops work best around the subframe under the seat. Location seems just about perfect.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the straps are in place, the bags are on/off in seconds. Esp. with the alloy loops, you almost don't notice anything is there.

I tried strapping a US-10 to the US-20 and it just got weird. I think if the US-20 had a sidewall for rigidity it would work fine, but there was no support. That will have to be phase 2.

I'm not sure I would bother with this if I didn't already own my Kriega bags. It seems that there are other options out there that would be cheaper and give the same result, but for those of us that own these bags, but want to use them as panniers, this is an option. I haven't lived with this set up on the road yet, but it looks to me like it's going to work fine. Just from playing with it in my garage, it actually seems a lot easier to get on/off than using the bags in standard form on the seat.
  19. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hi levain,

Yeaaaahhh... As mentioned previously, our new Overlander 15 packs differ significantly from the US tail packs in the following areas:

1. Heavy duty 1000D Cordura construction to resist abrasion if and when the bike gets sleepy, and rips that could occur from close calls with rocky outcrops, branches, cactus etc. Also provides stiffness.
    2. Semi-rigid back to maintain the bag's shape when loaded.
    3. Stainless eyelets for secure attachment to pannier platforms.
    I absolutely admire your dedication and loyalty to your trusty US packs :clap, but would definitely recommend some additional padding in the base (and possibly the outer face - perhaps a layer of foam between the outer shell and inner white liner)) of the bags and solid strapping support below them.

At the moment you're relying on the quick-release clips to support the entire weight. These things are more than up to the job of keeping a bag attached to a seat / rack, there's a definite possibility of them 'quick-releasing' a bit too quickly when asked to support vertical weight over rough ground.

I'm sure you're on top of these issues, but the last thing I want is one of them popping off and jamming in your rear wheel. :eek1

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Cheers,

Michael
  20. levain

Oddometer:
    Mike,
    thanks for the advise. I thought about them popping off, and well yeah. Ending up in the rear wheel could be bad. Then, I realized that Wolfman is essentially doing the same thing so.... Their's is a little more elegant, but only because the racks and bags are designed to work together. No doubt about it, this is a little "off" but no more than trying to fit any generic soft luggage to a generic rack.

The foam idea is a good one. I've been trying to decide the best material to use in between the outer bag and the inner bag to stiffen it up a little. I'll check into that.