Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 Miles of the UP Backcountry)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Capt Dan

Capt Dan Just Livin' a Dream

Oddometer:
    Great RR and pics. Until this years ADV Rally I never realized how nice the Dual Sport riding was in the WI and MI areas. Living about 8 hours South in East Central Illinois it was a welcome trek. cannonshot laid out some wonderful routes that fit my skill level on the Big GSA.
    This UP route with the go-arounds for Big Bikes seems like a great ride for next season. Maybe I missed it, but is the GPS route posted somehere for Upload to Mapsource. I will likely put up a post next year looking for some adventureous types with big bikes to make the run with me.
    Thanks again Cannonshot for your work, so I can play..:clap
  2. OldSilverFox

OldSilverFox Let's Go!

Oddometer:
    Capt Dan
    I too have enjoyed Cannonshot's work and think the UP would be gret destination early next year. Might be able to get a group together to meet for a ride. I ride a Varadero so the bikes are similar in size.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Don't plan anything too early. Last year was a near record for lack of snowfall in some areas. This is how it looked in late April. Usually the woods isn't clear for sure until you are into May a bit.
    [​IMG]
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan. I'll put a post in this thread with a link when I get the tracks up for download. Make sure you report back with your big bike experience on this thing.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jeffrey. Hope you get to enjoy this. I guess you a close enough you could knock it off on a couple of long weekends.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. You won't be disappointed riding this track. Take your time and enjoy the things along the route. Five solid days is reasonable.
  7. kzoo

kzoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need to convince my wife that I can retire at 38, add a DS bike to my garage, and spend the rest of my free time riding... :evil

I'm a MC trail kinda guy but reading through this adventure type stuff makes me appreciate how cool it can be. I like the fact that you mix in some tight twisty trail, sandy nasty roads, hard tops etc... Makes for an all around good adventure!
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Much of the feedback I get from the CannonTrekkers is that they really enjoy the mix. That, combined with some of the tourist stops, makes the long riding days fly by and keeps them entertaining and fun.
  9. OldSilverFox

OldSilverFox Let's Go!

Oddometer:
  10. Capt Dan

Oddometer:
  11. Capt Dan

Oddometer:

Woops, see above post for my response...
    <TABLE id=post14247968 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD id=td_post_14247968 class=alt1>Yes, June is a good time for me. We can check with Cannonshot prior to trip plans to get an idea of the current conditions. The temps should be good then also. I'm retired so I can take as long as need be.
    Slounds like a great plan...
    <!-- / message -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE id=post14247968 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD id=td_post_14247968 class=alt1>Yes, June is a good time for me. We can check with Cannonshot prior to trip plans to get an idea of the current conditions. The temps should be good then also. I'm retired so I can take as long as need be.
    Slounds like a great plan...
    <!-- / message -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  12. Capt Dan

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks...
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    This one was late May and early June.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584986

This one was early June.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473391

This one was mid-June.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352617

We have had a morning temp of 36 degrees in August before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Byrdman

Byrdman Fat guy on a little bike!

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Can't wait to get a hold of the GPS file.
  15. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    Good RR.. epic ride!

Thanks for the pix..

-feet
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ran into a lot of bear hunters during this trip. Bears are sometimes hunted over bait piles and they are sometimes pursued with dogs. We traveled a few sand roads that had been dragged (brush, tree, log) to erase tracks. Later the hunter travels the road looking for a new bear track. When he cuts a track he puts the dogs on the trail. The dogs run after the bear (sometimes these are small beagles doing the chasing) until the bear instinctively climbs a tree. The hunters can radio direction find their dogs. Sometimes a hunter can listen for them as well. Even with all this effort, overall the bears do pretty well avoiding being harvested. They will run down streams or swim to avoid leaving a scented trail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paradise was founded in 1925 as a resort community. The book A Cold Day in Paradise is a story about a retired Detroit cop moving here and getting into the detective business of sorts.
    [​IMG]

This is a burger and fries place. During the fishing season you may want to stop at Brown's Fish House on the west side of town. It is a restaurant and a fish market. It is only open when commercial fisherman Buddy Brown has fish. Worth the stop.
    [​IMG]
  17. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. Do those deep piles of leaves contribute to the "sportiness" of the corners? :eek1
  18. dirtrooster2003

dirtrooster2003 Arkansas traveler

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report, brings back old memorys. lived in Iron Mtn in the 80s for about 8 years and did alot of exploring. Miss the summers there (the 2 weeks of it anyway). Surpised you didnt mention what happens when a Yugo tries to cross the Mackinaw bridge. Anyway great report love the pics and history.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    No the leaves weren't a problem - of course they were dry at the time. Some of the smaller water holes were hidden by a thick layer of floating leaves in a couple of spots though.

Glad this brings back some pleasant memories. That bridge can be pretty tricky and when it is windy they restrict motorcycle travel as well.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The ride out to the point is on a nice paved road.
    [​IMG]

The old Light Station/Coast Guard station is now a shipwreck museum.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ships pass close to the point. Canada is visible nearby on the horizon. The Edmund Fitzgerald sunk about 17 miles away from here in a nasty storm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can enjoy a pasty (pass-tee) at a snack shop on site.
    [​IMG]
    Duke Kaboom likes this.