1200GS Fuel Pump Flange Crack

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by davegaz, Jul 29, 2011.

1. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Better pictures.

Attached Files:

2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    If it is under warranty, have it fixed. If not, and it is not leaking, do not touch it, or it will leak.

Jim :brow
  3. WeazyBuddha

Oddometer:
    Update:

My dealer (Lonestar BMW in Austin) managed to snag the last Fuel Pump Flange in-country and the part is now on my GS--picture below. Apparently I get a two year warranty on this so I'll be covered past my warranty end-date.

Service rep told me they'd been having a few failures and they attribute it to the heat but I'm not buying that. When I asked, they told me the replacement part is exactly like the part coming off i.e. not an improved design and I was also told there was no BMW bulletin on the failures.

I just took the body panels off and I see where the part was scratched and it looks like metal to me so maybe it is an improved part. :dunno

I am filing a report with NHTSA; if enough of us file something may be done i.e. a recall. NHTSA reporting webpage LINK.

Attached Files:

4. TXjames

TXjames High Sider

Oddometer:
    I would recommend that you guys with the failure file with the NHTSA like these fellows: The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again

Looks like my pump will be replaced under warranty for the all-too-common regulator problem but if a recall does happen you can bet I'll be swapping it out again for a pump with the upgraded flange.
  5. OoPEZoO

OoPEZoO Dirtball Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Add mine to the list. '06 1200GS with around 26k miles on it. I pulled the side panel last night and right away saw at least 3-4 big cracks in the flange. I don't know if had been leaking, but I had a few strong wiffs of raw fuel the last couple of times I was out on the bike. I won't be riding it until I can come up with a solution. Camera was dead, so I'll get pics tonight when I get home. Disappointed to say the least.

I'll be filing it with the NHTSA asap. For you guys that have the issue.....PLEASE file a report, it can actually make a difference. I had an issue with the fuel tank on my '08 Jeep Wrangler, where fuel would gush back out of filler neck when the gas pump would shut off. It was a well known issue on the internet forums, but Chrysler wouldn't do anything about it besides replacing the tank on the owners dime ($700 in parts + labor). Eventually, the NHSTA put pressure on them to replace the fuel tanks free of charge and include a lifetime warranty against it happening again.

My Pics. Looks like 5-6 cracks at least

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. hogmolly

hogmolly Dude

Oddometer:
    ....Went to start mine this winter and I noticed fuel under the bike, pulled the side covers and I've got cracks. :huh
  7. angtlalaska

angtlalaska Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just replaced my GS tank with a GSA tank last year on my 09. The fuel pump flange is now excess. I used the pump and pump controller as they are the same between the GS and GSA but the flange isn't the same. There are a lot of people on the forum who have also made the change. This may be a source for the flange.
  8. Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I'm happy. Based on this thread I looked at the fuel pump housing. '05 R1200GS, 158K miles. No cracks! I wonder what makes some crack, and others not. I hope mine doesn't start cracking now that I said it.
  9. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. WeazyBuddha

Oddometer:
    Dang, that is what I figured would happen -- BMW would put out a better part and I'd miss out. I just got mine replaced but it does not have the ring. :bluduh

If you read my earlier post I state that my dealer told me I had gotten the very last replacement part in-country, perhaps the new shipment will consist of this better replacement part.
  11. TXjames

TXjames High Sider

Oddometer:
    I just had my pump replaced today for a dead regulator. In addition to the regulator, it has developed two cracks in the plastic flange as seen in others' pics in this thread. I saw a picture of the new pump with improved metal ring on the flange but was told it was off a 2013 model bike. I thought there would be no way I would see the new design on my replacement pump but low and behold, it is not a myth!

[​IMG]
  12. WeazyBuddha

Oddometer:
    Well, I do get the 2 year warranty on my old style replacement.

I'm almost hoping the replacement develops cracks just to get upgraded to the new improved part on BMW's dime. :norton
  13. davegaz

davegaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hear, Hear.:clap
  14. Mike Figielski

Mike Figielski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,
    Mike From Beemerboneyard here. We just received our first shipment of the fuel pump flange repair clamps from Tim (from the bmwsporttouring.com forum). We are selling them for $32.95 (SORRY, Tim did not price them originally to make money really but we are a business so......) and can ship them in the US for $3 for USPS first class mail. You can order yours from this link:
    http://www.beemerboneyard.com/rk12fuelpmpclmp.html
    These work especially well if you have cracks but not a leak yet or if you want to prevent cracks from starting. They also will work if you have a leak but you'll need to remove the plastic female fitting and use JB weld on the threads and then reinstall the female fitting (or better yet install a new metal fitting from us: http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdcfemaleth.html )
    Thanks!
    Mike
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike. I need to order one for my ST!

Jim :brow
  16. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    Order placed!
  17. JStancampiano

JStancampiano PhotoJoe

Oddometer:
    Order to be placed asap,

Joe
  18. AirstreamBoy

AirstreamBoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After the wife reported smelling a distinct wiff of gas the last couple of evenings, I went out to check the gas cap and the flange. Can't tell if the gas cap was not closed all the way, but I've certainly got several cracks like others in the thread.

There's no overt signs of leaks from the flange (i.e. no discoloration in the dust)... will the BeemerBoneyard clamp help?
  19. WeazyBuddha

Oddometer:
    I assume the BBY clamp will help. Thinking of ordering it to install on my recently replaced Fuel Pump Flange.
  20. TXjames

TXjames High Sider

Oddometer:
    I don't think the clamp has enough hours to be a proven fix yet but I purchased one for a buddy the first chance I got (not to rub it in but I have the new pump). It operates under the same principle as the metal ring on the new BMW pump design and should work. Now is the perfect time for you to install one... BEFORE a leak starts.