Why Does It Always Have To Be A Harley........

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by elite1, Nov 20, 2012.

1. caponerd

caponerd Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer:

Not really. He won't have a clue what you're talking about.
  2. Speed King

Speed King Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's right.
  3. photomd

photomd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I get the "you ride a Harley, right?" all the time. I usually say I ride a V-twin: it's great. I love to see the look on their face when they see the bike. :D

[​IMG]
  4. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Same here. :wink:
  5. elite1

elite1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really wasn't looking to have him, or anyone else for that matter, make a "fuss" over my obscure, 30 year old Honda. Just thought maybe he was a bike guy who I could have a conversation with. There are some Harley guys out there who are enthusiasts, but the majority of Harley fans seem to be people who know nothing about bikes. They either buy the T-shirts and never buy the bike, or they'll actually buy the bike , then become instant Billy Badasses. All of a sudden they develop an inclination to start wearing do rags. Then, the chain drive wallet makes an appearance. The coup di gras is the brand new HD jacket and matching chaps. Watching the HD poseurs attempt to ride their new acquisition is the best part of all. I didn't think it was physically possible to keep a bike upright riding that slow. My favorite is when I get behind a group of them and they will consistently go 10 miles an hour UNDER the speed limit. Please understand, this isn't a slam against Harley's or the people that own them. Its more about the ignorant Harley fan boys that act like they are superior to you because they back the bike that they think is the best, when in reality, they know nothing about bikes. Nuff said. Rant over. Please go back to your normal programming.
  6. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    AMEN Brother! Maybe he just didn't like salesmen and wanted to be as rude as possible.. instead of saying "I'm really not looking to change my Village People uniform supplier right now, but if I do, I'll contact you". As a salesman, you should have gushed about HIS VERY SPECIAL, LIMITED EDITION H-D, made him feel so good about it that he cut a P.O. on the spot.. well, er, uh, you know, the one he WOULD get, when his wife says he can get one.
    As for the -10 modus operendi, that would be the "Parade Cycles"
  7. Vincenthdfan

Vincenthdfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, Im glad you clarified that because my hackle was standing up at your original stereotypical Harley Character bashing comments.

You see, Ive owned several Harleys, still own an old Ironhead Sporty (look it up, its a classic design), and an 02 Road King that has become such a part of the family with its reliability and pure enjoyment that we named her Ruby.

Ive been riding since I was 4 years old, the son of a professional hillclimber. Im now 48 years old and owned so many Japanese bikes of all types and brands that I could never remember them all.

I currently own multiple Yamahas, Hondas, a Vstrom 1000, a '70 Triumph Bonneville, etc...

I got into the Harley scene because as a kid I remember dad always talkng about how much he wished he still had his old Panhead Dresser from his younger years.

Much like you, I always thought "what the hell is the attraction, I dont get it?".

After he died totally unexpected at such a young age (57) of an aneuryism, I did a lot of soul searching.

I missed my best friend...so as sort of a tribute to him I figured Id give the Harleys a shot, because I know he always wanted to get another one.

I started riding mine more and more and I instantly "got it".

These bikes arent cookie cutter, faceless, sewing machine feeling bikes.

They have chracter, feeling, torque, fun. And, best of all and in spite of what everyone thinks...they are dead nuts reliable.

My gal and I have put 56,000 trouble free miles on Ruby together and loved every minute of it.

So next time you see what you think is a knuckle dragging, biker wannabee...look past the stereotype.

There just might be more to the story than what you assume you see on the surface.

Rant over...thanks for listening.
  8. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    Is it Friday already?
  9. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    We can be pretty cliquish too. We tend to make it hard for people to break into the old bike scene, sometimes.
    Not all of us, but some of us.

And the guys who only think Harleys are worthwhile may know where there's a "worthless" minty CB350 or an R90S sitting around that can be had for a tune up on their Harley.
  10. lilsmokey

lilsmokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You dont live about 50 yards away from a biker bar. I swear to god its fucking terrible. Bunch of fat ass old white guys with their nasty looking girlfriends screaming up and down the read all day. I live off of a major street. So my house is between a stop light and the bar. Its fun to watch all these fags do full throttle and crappy shifts down the road, over train tracks then slam on the brakes and fly into the parking lot.

Just a few days ago they were having some swap meet or something so a group of about 50 riders go down the road.... a few seconds later their buddy (Got stopped at the light) flys down the road, catches air over the train tracks, lays the bike down and slamms into the back of the last 5 or so bikers. :rofl I felt sorry for the douchebag but it was hilarious
  11. tripods

tripods Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is no "across the board" best motorcycle in the world. There is only one's own best motorcycle. I look at my own two-wheeled history. My first and best motorcycle was the one I made by cutting up our steel tubing hammock frame, bolting it together into a trike frame and taking an engine for it off our reel mower in 1971. Then the best motorcycle in the world was my no-name minibike, then the Honda 161, then the Triumph Trophy Trail, then......and this one carried me around the country for six years...... a 1947 Harley Knucklehead. I rode it in the New England winters, I rode it in AZ on road and off, Up to Maine, New York, Cape Cod, and it was my daily driver. The only time it left me stranded was when I got a flat, or sheared the rivets on the rear sprocket from too many long smoky hole-shots. I beat the tar out of that bike, and it always held together. Yes, I performed regular maintenance (valve adjusts, oil changes, timing, carb adjusts, clutches). While I was riding that one, I passed up on some really cool bikes that I should have grabbed......but it had me in that Harley mystique. As I think back, I think it just may have been the "best" motorcycle ever for me, but that is probably because it was my one and only bike, and it was everything I needed. My youth may well have been the best part of that bike. However, I always loved anything with two wheels. I never had a Harley sticker on my truck or car, I never wore Harley T-shirts as a "uniform" unless I just happened to pick one from the drawer instead of a Bob Marley or Judas Priest T-shirt. I never got a tattoo, just because I knew that I always had a problem with commitment (to bike choice, clothing, girlfriend etc). However, I have always been a non-denominational motorcycle rider. I like them all. I rode choppers, Nortons, Goldwings, BMW /2's, sidecar rigs, Lambrettas, Ducati, you name it. It always makes me a bit sad when any rider demeans riders of "That other brand" based on the actions of the obvious but minority part of "that" brand group. Late night motorcycle talk around the campfire is always great, until some other group starts getting bashed. I had, and have, a lot of Harley rider friends, and a lot of those guys were true adventure riders back in the day, riding those old-technology machines on a daily basis, in all weather, cross-country on highways, secondary roads, and dirt roads. Sure, there was a percentage of ass-hats in the group, but they would pull their fuel line to give you a couple of beer cans of gas to keep you going, they would stand shoulder to shoulder with you if you were hassled, and they would bring tools and parts to get you on the road if your bike was down before a ride. And yes, some of them would belittle the riders of Japanese bikes, or other foreign machines. But secretly, a lot of them appreciated the capabilities of "the other brands", even though they did not need those capabilities. And being an old Harley rider, I gotta tell you, most of those guys are ok if you get to know them. The European settlers conquered the Native Americans by getting them to try and kill "the other tribes". It is not good to attack the other tribes. All motorcycle riders should try to respect the rights of all of us to ride...and support legislation that ensures we can continue. Now that guy that blows by my house at 2:30 AM with wide open drag pipes, or the Haybusa with open Vance and Hines pipe.... they need to get some common sense. That guy with 25K worth of chrome and custom paint that never sees rain.... that's his bag, and let him enjoy it for what it is. Time to go add some lighter oil to my Ural.....snow's coming.
  12. Vincenthdfan

Vincenthdfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    See what I mean?? The stereotype just keeps on giving...

I give up.
  13. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    You seem to talk a lot about white guys asses and fags and very little about the girlfriends, focus more of the women and you may become a happier person. :rofl
  14. zataomm

zataomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Morons are everywhere, and they aren't going away anytime soon. The only reason we hear so much about Harley morons in these forums is because Harley sells so many bikes. The ratio of idiots to non-idiots in the Harley world is probably no greater than it is in the general population, which may not be a comforting or hopeful thing to consider, but there it is. There's no point complaining endlessly about them.

If Honda sold 250,000 Ascots every year we'd all be complaining about those obnoxious Honda Ascot wannabe's.

:dhorse
  15. elite1

elite1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

See, dude, you get it. I can totally relate to your story. Ride on, brother.
  16. lilsmokey

lilsmokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

As my dad has told me and his dad told him the best motorcycle out there is the one you ride. Same goes for Cars, guns, woman etc.

If you saw some of the ladies around here you'd understand. :lol3
  17. willis 2000

willis 2000 neo-quixote

Oddometer:
    You are correct, my brother sold a panhead cheap because nobody wanted it ten years ago. The shovelheads are still cheap, but I suppose they will also become collectible.
  18. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    don't we have like 9 of these threads in 'road warriors' and 'perfect line' ?
    I thought olds cool was safe.
  19. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a reality that the Harley-Davidson is recognized everywhere. That's why so many aspire to ownership but will never own any brand of motorcycle. Like it or hate it the Harley is viewed as "cool" by many. And who doesn't wanna be cool?
  20. presto88

presto88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have any problem at all with people who think that their bike (or car, or beer, or whatever!) is "the best". I would guess that most people think that about something that they own! My problem is with the Harley guys who think that every other motorcycle brand is a piece of shit and you're an idiot for riding one! It's that attitude that I object to. I realize not ALL Harley owners have that attitude, but for the life of me I can't think of ever meeting a motorcyclist with that attitude who didn't own a Harley!