Bay Area Adventure Riders Club

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by T O Double D, Dec 2, 2009.

1. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    White House Cyn/Creek is right before Costanoa if you're heading north?
  2. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whitehouse Creek (or Canyon, maps vary) is just south of Rossi Road which goes into Costanoa. The state park (Ano Nuevo) is being developed on the inland side of Hwy 1 so the dirt may soon be paved, or possibly closed to vehicles. At least that's my speculation, no facts.

-dman
  3. LexTalionis

LexTalionis Inciteful

Oddometer:
    I had totally forgotten about the stretch of China Grade to the B.S. camp, though, how long is that, maybe a mile? A few years ago a friend and I rode into the B.S. camp, when nothing was going on; resident caretaker comes out to greet us / stop us; we're older than him, we strike up a pleasant conversation, ask if we could just tour the grounds on the bikes, caretaker looks us over, says "Sure." The scouts have a nice camp there. Years ago I used to take a picnic lunch, pull off on the side of the dirt China Grade road, hardly saw anyone the times I'd go there.

I've never seen Upper Gazos Creek open, just bad luck on my part, I guess.

But, I don't believe either of these roads are actually inside the confines of the park?

Lex
  4. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct, so in that sense the Motorcyclist article is wrong or at least misleading. But I think it was a great read .... I would have liked to have taken a similar trip when my daughter was 12 (though I didn't have a good experience the only time I rode a sidecar).

Whitehouse Creek Rd is very close to the NW corner of Big Basin and does go into Ano Nuevo State Park.

-dman
  5. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    It should stay open, since it provides access to a number of home sites (past the area posted closed). Paving, well I guess that's possible if there's money for that...

It isn't too exciting (starts straight and flat leading into a short hill section and a few corners) but it gets you to a trailhead where you can hike into Big Basin or the Cascade Ranch portion of Ano Nuevo. Signs posted to keep it slow on the curves and hill, and I've encountered a good number of people walking or biking. Not a good place for opening up a dual sport on the dirt IMO, but fun for a casual detour or general exploration.
  6. togume

togume On the Black Beast

Oddometer:
    Hi, all!

Recent transplant to the Bay Area here, and could not be happier. Also - wow... there are a lot of adventure rigs riding around. Are they being looked after properly!?

I'm going to scour these ADV threads for good riding around here. However, let me know if there are any good suggestions for maps to get which include backroads/fire-roads, etc.

Lastly, are there any meetups? If not how about interest to do breakfast one of these days?
  7. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. togume

togume On the Black Beast

Oddometer:
  9. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
  10. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Sam's BBQ seemed to be a popular spot.
  11. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    sorry to post it, this needs to get out there so people see it! Bert

BLM Releases Clear Creek Proposed Plan

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Hollister Field Office has released the Clear Creek Management Area Proposed Resource Management Plan and Final Environmental Impact Statement. The CCMA encompasses approximately 63,000 acres of public lands in southern San Benito and western Fresno counties.

BLM issued an order to close public lands in the Serpentine Area of Critical Environmental Concern portion of CCMA on May 1, 2008, to protect persons, property and public land resources while the RMP was developed. The temporary closure was issued in response to the results of the Environmental Protection Agency’s CCMA Asbestos Exposure and Human Health Risk Assessment, which determined that asbestos exposures measured by EPA for many recreational activities at CCMA exceed the acceptable risk range for carcinogens.

Under the Proposed RMP, off-highway vehicle use would not be authorized in the ACEC. However, limited motorized entry would be allowed within the ACEC to provide access to key areas of interest for non-motorized recreation. Vehicle touring in the ACEC would be limited to a 32 mile scenic route loop. Access into the ACEC would be authorized by permit only, with vehicle touring limited to less than five days/year and pedestrian activity limited to less than 12 days/year.

BLM has also included adaptive management criteria in the propose RMP which will allow BLM to periodically reassess land use plan decisions if significant new information on human health risks from exposure to airborne asbestos fibers becomes available.

“The release of this proposed RMP is a big step in opening the area to public use,” said Rick Cooper, BLM Hollister Field Office Manager.

A 30-day protest period on the Proposed RMP/Final EIS runs from April 5 through May 6. During this period, any person who participated in the planning process and believes they may be adversely affected by approval of the plan may submit a protest. A final decision on the RMP will not be issued until protests are resolved. Procedures for filing protests are available at the website:

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/planning/protest_resolution.html

The Proposed RMP/Final EIS is available on-line for public review at the Hollister Field Office webpage: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/clear_creek_management_area/CCMA_RMP.html.
    Compact disks of the document are available by request from the Hollister Field Office Bureau of Land Management, 20 Hamilton Court, Hollister, CA 95023. For additional information contact the Hollister Field Office at (831) 630-5000.

Here\'s info on the protest process

The PRMP/FEIS is available for a 30-day public protest period beginning on the date the Environmental Protection Agency publishes the Notice of Availability of the PRMP/FEIS in the Federal Register. Pursuant to BLM’s planning regulations at 43 CFR 1610.5-2, any person who participated in the planning process for this PRMP and has an interest which is or may be adversely affected by the planning decisions may protest approval of the planning decisions within 30 days from date the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) publishes the Notice of Availability in the Federal Register.

The regulations specify the required elements of your protest. A protest may raise only those issues which were submitted for the record during the planning process.

(1) The protest shall be in writing and shall be filed with the Director.

(2) The protest shall contain:

(i) The name, mailing address, telephone number and interest of the person filing the protest;

(ii) A statement of the issue or issues being protested;

(iii) A statement of the part or parts of the plan or amendment being protested;

(iv) A copy of all documents addressing the issue or issues that were submitted during the planning process by the protesting party or an indication of the date the issue or issues were discussed for the record; and

(v) A concise statement explaining why the State Director\'s decision is believed to be wrong.

(3) The Director shall promptly render a decision on the protest. The decision shall be in writing and shall set forth the reasons for the decision. The decision shall be sent to the protesting party by certified mail, return receipt requested.

(b) The decision of the Director shall be the final decision of the Department of the Interior.

Resource Management Plan Protest Critical Item Checklist

The following items must be included to constitute a valid protest whether using this optional format, or a narrative letter (refer to 43 CFR 1610.5-2).

· Name of Resource Management Plan (RMP) or Amendment (RMPA) being protested

· Protester’s Name

· Address

· Phone Number

· Your interest in filing this protest (how will you be adversely affected by the approval or amendment of this plan?)

· Issue or issues being protested

· Statement of the part or parts of the plan being protested (including Chapter, Section, Page, and/or Map)

· Attach copies of all documents addressing the issue(s) that were submitted during the planning process by the protesting party, OR an indication of the date the issue(s) were discussed for the record (including dates)

· A concise statement explaining why the State Director’s decisions is believed to be wrong.

Take care to document all relevant facts. As much as possible, reference or cite the planning documents or available planning records (e.g. meeting minutes or summaries, correspondence, etc.).

Emailed and faxed protests will not be accepted as valid protests unless the protesting party also provides the original letter by either regular or overnight mail postmarked by the close of the protest period. Under these conditions, the BLM will consider the emailed or faxed protest as an advance copy and will afford it full consideration. If you wish to provide the BLM with such advance notification, please direct faxed protests to the attention of Brenda Hudgens-Williams- BLM protest coordinator at 202-245-0028, and emailed protests to: Brenda_Hudgens-Williams@blm.gov.

All protests, including the follow-up letter to emails or faxes, must be in writing and mailed to one of the following addresses:

Regular Mail: Overnight Mail:

Director (210) Director (210)

Attn: Brenda Hudgens-Williams Attn: Brenda Hudgens-Williams

P.O. Box 71383 20 M Street SE, Room 2134LM

Washington, D.C. 20024-1383 Washington, D.C. 20003

BLM’s practice is to make protest letters, including names and home addresses of respondents, available for public review and disclosure subject to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Before including your address, phone number, e-mail address, or other personal identifying information in your protest, be advised that your entire protest letter—including your personal identifying information—may be made publicly available at any time. While you may request BLM withhold from public review your personal identifying information, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so. All submissions from organizations and businesses, and from individuals identifying themselves as representatives or officials of organizations and businesses, will be available for public inspection in their entirety.

The BLM Director will make every attempt to promptly render a decision on each protest. The decision will be in writing and will be sent to the protesting party by certified mail, return receipt requested. The decision of the BLM Director shall be the final decision of the Department of the Interior on each protest. Responses to protest issues will be compiled and formalized in a Director’s Protest Resolution Report made available following issuance of the decisions.

Upon resolution of all land use plan protests, the BLM will issue an Approved RMP and Record of Decision (ROD). The Approved RMP and ROD will be mailed or made available electronically to all who participated in the planning process and will be available to all parties through the “Planning” page of the BLM national website (http://www.blm.gov/planning), or by mail upon request. --
    David Christy
    BLM Central California Public Affairs
    5152 Hillsdale Circle
    El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
    (916) 941-3146
    cell: (916) 206-1520
    fax: (916) 941-3199
  12. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    Ian, that place is good. anyone down to meet say wednesday 4/10/13 6pm?
  13. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    It's been a while since we've had a dinner and dayum... I'm starving!

Later works better for me. I usually get off work at 7pm near Moffet Field.
  14. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think that works for me.

Place doesn't suck if that's what you're asking :D I've eaten there quite a few times. I like it.
  15. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    A few of us get together weekly in Alameda for coffee on Thurs nights 530p-730ish at the Blue Danube Coffeehouse, where they serve coffee, tea, beer, wine, sandwiches and snacks!
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736549
  16. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hey all,

We'll be at the SFMC at 18th and Folsom Saturday night (tonight), all night (if you are wondering how to kill time between the bar's closing and the various meet-ups in the city before the Easter Mt. Tam ride) ...

Coffee served at 3:30 am to around 4am, when we'll leave to cruise by Zeitgeist and head for the Chevron in Mill Valley ...

Back to the club for breakfast after Mt. Tam ... BAARCers and motorcyclists welcome! :ricky

Weather report isn't great, and we'll probably do the Mt. Tam Easter Morning ride next year, too ... so there you go ...

see you around the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn
  17. LeDakaR!

LeDakaR! Banned

Oddometer:
    route66moto.com San Francisco CA/ Austin, Texas
    Sweet I can go this year!
  18. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hey Renaud ... cool!
    Larryboy is threatening to show up, too ...
    I'm told there is supposed to be a break in the weather between 2 and 8 am ...
    We'll see ...
    see you under the watchtower,
    -- John A
  19. LeDakaR!

LeDakaR! Banned

Oddometer:
    route66moto.com San Francisco CA/ Austin, Texas
    Oh how fun!
    I will b there

Don't matter I'm riding the adv supermoto!!!!
  20. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Knight rides ....... Fun. Wish I could attend.