The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not anymore, and I think it's not wise to send these outside Finland, due the expensive postal fees. I just put it here to give ideas.

PM me your email so I can send the CAD-drawings, done by Vertex, so you can let some laser-/plasma cutting firm to cut the pieces for you. Bending and welding you can do yourself.
  2. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Yeah sure, it's easy as.....

- What's that ?
    - You don't have a professional workshop at home you say ?

:lol3 :lol3
  3. HansGruber

HansGruber Custom User Title

Oddometer:

I can handle the fab, what sort of CAD part are you guys talking about?
  4. HansGruber

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the IMS part from Motorcycle Superstore. I hate that company.
    Still thinking about the brake. Have to find out who my local TT distro is.
  5. Southernmost_Paul

Southernmost_Paul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buddy of mine has a 2003 Dakar with approx 26,000 miles. He noticed water in the oil and had a local bike shop change the head gasket. Rode it after picking it up and water in the oil again. I'm not sure if they actually saw anything with the head gasket or just assumed that was the issue.

Any ideas? We are like 200 miles from a dealer here in the Keys so getting it to factory trained tech is out of the question at this point. I ask in case there is a known issues say - water pump seal or such.

My friend is 76 years old doesn't own a computer. Might be parting out a bike if we can't figure this one out asap.

Thanks.
  6. -N8-

-N8- Ride like you stole it!!

Oddometer:
    Hold up on parting out just yet!!

Its the water pump seal. Know issue, easy fix. Or find a different mechanic, one that would know a head gasket has nothing to do with the cooling system
    http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Water_Pump_Seal_Repair_FAQ.htm#Section%203:%20Repair%20Proceedure
  7. -N8-

Oddometer:
    The IMS is the way to go. Down to earth price too.

[​IMG]
  8. Southernmost_Paul

Oddometer:
    Many Thanks! I'll pass the info on. I thought I recalled something about that. I had searched but search "oil" on this site at your own risk. :lol3

paul
  9. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    nothing to do with the cooling system ?
    Uhhh.....it keeps coolant out of the cylinder and oil out of the cooling system, so I'd say it's got something to do with the cooling system.

What kind of water in the oil are we talking about here ? Condensation in the top tank isn't the same as coolant in the oil per say....
  10. Southernmost_Paul

Oddometer:
    Does appear to be the water pump seal. He's got our local wrench working on it now. Thanks.
  11. -N8-

Oddometer:
    Excuse me, I was thinking he meant the valve cover gasket for some reason.
  12. Capt. REDBEARD

Capt. REDBEARD TWECO

Oddometer:
    We are talking about a new set of foot pegs that relocate them down and back - if you are interested in fabricating something up I would be interested in paying for such services - and I am sure we could get a few more folks who were interested as well depending on price..............

pm me if you are serious about making some pegs - I will work as the go between on CAD drawings and orders and that stuff if you want.

cheers!
  13. HansGruber

Oddometer:
    Sorry, can't really do any production work. I don't have my own shop, I just work in one. My employer would blow a gasket.
  14. HansGruber

Oddometer:
    I get a little mayo in my oil tank all the time. I was operating under the assumption that it was just condensation entering from the breather. My commute is short (4 miles). Seems like just enough time to create an emulsion but not enough time to burn the water out.

Is this a safe assumption or should I be worried also?
  15. andyhb

andyhb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at cutting the snorkel on my twin spark Dakar, checked out the posts on chain gang, but was wondering if anyone on here has done it, and is it worth doing? I am in Perth, Australia so mainly dusty conditions, although it does rain now and again!
  16. komatias

komatias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I have a number of flexible oil return lines available for the F650GS and Dakar. These will make removing the clutch cover a doddle when you come to do the waterpump replacement.

As I write 5 have been sold so 5 more left

Price is £50 posted recorded delivery in the UK. Can post anywhere if you cover the extra costs of shipping which should not be too great as the pipe is light and can be sent as small packet.

PM me if you want one.

George

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. mothra

mothra Rally Driver

Oddometer:
    Can anyone direct me towards a plug and play tunr signal flasher that is compatible with LED turn signals. I have heard rumors of a car flasher that works but can't find a part number. Thanks.
  18. Capt. REDBEARD

Capt. REDBEARD TWECO

Oddometer:
    I cut mine this winter and I have put close to 1k miles on it this spring. At the same time I changed the gearing (both front and rear) and I already had a staintune pipe on there. The bike was also out of commission for about three months - so I don't have a good before and after comparison for you. All I can say is there have been no problems thus far and I have ridden for about 3 hours in pouring rain and a full day of dusty trail riding. I will let you know what the air box and filter look like when I pull them off later this week.
  19. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    I and many others have done this mod. But be aware that with the stock exhaust it will have no effect as the stock exhaust is too plugged to actually need more air at the intake. Also, take note that the opening need be no bigger than the intake at the throttle body. After all, the most air you can suck in is the size of the throttle body opening itself. With that said, cut away, because the air sensor will make any adjustments for the added air passing through.

As a final point, the thing that people call an "airbox" is actually labeled as a "sound" box on BMW tech drawings. This box is so unimportant to the bike's performance and gas mileage that I no longer have any part of the stock air system on my bike. I have replaced it with a much smaller unit that still maintains the K&N stainless race filter that has allowed me to replace the stock BMW faux tank cowling with a much smaller one that has allowed me to put a Desert rally style seat on my bike.

In this photo you can see just how narrow my body work is now and the nice seat that I have been able to mount. Notice that other than the intake area, my body panels do not protrude outside of the frame. This body work is a full 6" narrower and 3.5" lower than the stock parts.

[​IMG]
  20. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    no worries :D