KTM 990 SUPERMOTO-R Thread???

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ktmMike, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been riding a KTM 990 Supermoto-R since last fall.
    It is still the only one I have ever seen.
    I had to travel over 450 miles to get it because there weren't any closer at the time.
    Is there anyone else out there who rides one of these things?

Has anyone started a 990 Supermoto-R thread, or is this it?:dunno

Photos by _Anatic . . . Thanx for the help Shane.

[​IMG]

Windscreen, bashplate, front axle sliders & crashbars from KTM Hardparts.

[​IMG]
    Older style Akrapovics, G2ergo throttle, Evoluzione clutch slave, and Duke mirrors.

[​IMG]

Of course the stock clutch slave had to go. Your stock one will fail before too long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T-Rex Spoolsliders.

Dave W. likes this.
  2. tomotosoup

tomotosoup looney4bikes

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've had one for about a year. There are post scattered around. Most are in the SMR thread. It's one of the biggest threads on this site and was started for the older 950's. I even did a bunch of mods to mine after I bought it and created a how-to web site. SMR MODS HOW TO

I've never ran into any one with one either, which is nice :D I did see one at the moto GP races in Monterey last year, but thats the only one. There are a few people that have them as you will see when you look around this site, but there aren't many of us that's for sure.
    Cheers
  3. theturtleshead

theturtleshead Tits on a fish

Oddometer:
    Just ran mine in with a run from Medellin-Manizales-Periera-Cali and back.
    Colombia this is by the way.
    I was also thinking we need a thread for the 990SMR owners Ihope it spreads:D
    Al Medellin
  4. tomotosoup

tomotosoup looney4bikes

Oddometer:
    Yeah I just looked back at the other thread "950 Supermoto Chronicles", things huge, and mostly related to the Carb'd 950's. For the few people in the world that have this bike, I guess we deserve our own FI 990 thread.
  5. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:

I agree.
    I had two KTM 950's.
    The fuel-injected 990 is a different animal with a different personality (and a whole new look too!)

6. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah Tomoto,
    That is a HUGE thread.
    I waded around in it for a while to see if I could find any 990SM-R stuff, and finally gave up.

Thanx for the SMR MODS HOW TO in Post #2

7. tomotosoup

tomotosoup looney4bikes

Oddometer:
    Any good bike thread needs some base specs right?

Overview

After being out of the lineup for two years, KTM's big-bore supermoto SMR is back, this time with a 999cc V-Twin engine instead of the previous model's 942cc motor. The SMR offers an excellent combination of supermoto agility with the ample power and torque of its fuel-injected engine. The ergonomics provide an ideal seating position for upright sporty riding or back-it-in sliding. A low, narrow fuel tank allows the rider to scoot forward easily to weight the front end. The 990 SMR engine produces 115 hp and 73.8 lb-ft torque for a fun ride on curvy mountain roads or nice cruises through city streets. The two-colored seat, glossy fuel tank, orange powder coated frame, black swing arm, subframe, footrest, brackets and passenger handles all make this bike the center of attention anywhere you travel. The 990 SMR is equipped with a stainless steel exhaust system, carbon heat protector, smoked rear taillight, Marchesini front and rear wheels, Brembo brake system, 4-gallon fuel tank and multifunctional speedometer. The suspension is comprised of 48mm USD WP fully adjustable forks with TiAIN coated inner tubes and 160mm of suspension travel while the rear WP monoshock is fully adjustable with TiAIN coated piston rod and 180mm suspension travel.

SPECS

Engine type: Twin cylinder, 4-stroke, V 75°
    Displacement: 999 cc
    Bore x stroke: 101 x 62.4 mm (3.98/2.46)
    Performance (homologated): 85 kW @ 9000 rpm
    Max. torque: 97 Nm @ 7000 rpm
    Compression ratio: 11,5:1
    Starter/Battery: E-Starter/12 V 11.2 Ah
    Transmission: 6 gears, dog clutch engagement
    Fuel Mixture Generation: Keihin EFI
    Control: 4 V/DOHC
    Lubrication: Pressure lubrication with 2 oil pumps
    Engine lubrication: Motorex, SAE 10W-50
    Primary drive: 35:67
    Final drive: 17:41
    Cooling: Liquid cooled
    Clutch: Wet multi-disc clutch, hydraulically operated
    Motor Management: Keihin EMS

Frame: Chromium-Molybdenum trellis frame, powder-coated
    Subframe: Aluminium
    Handlebar: Aluminium Ø 28/22 mm (1.89"), tapered
    Front suspension: WP USD Ø 48 mm (1.89")
    Rear suspension: WP mono shock
    Suspension travel front/rear: 160/180 mm (6.3/7.09")
    Front brake: 2 x Brembo four piston fixed-caliper, radial bolted, brake disc Ø 305 mm (12.0"), floating
    Rear brake: Brembo two piston, floating caliper, brake disc Ø 240 mm (9.45")
    Rims, front/rear: Forged aluminium wheels 3.5 x 17''; 5.5 x 17''
    Tires, front/rear: 120/70 ZR 17 - 180/55 ZR 17
    Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 5/16"
    Steering head angle: 65,6°
    Trail: 109 mm (4.29")
    Wheel base: 1510 ± 15 mm (59.45 ± 0.95")
    Ground clearance (unloaded): 195 mm (7.68")
    Seat height: 875 mm (34.45")
    Tank capacity: 4 Gal
    Weight (no fuel): approx. 417 lbs.
  8. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now we're rolling:rilla
  9. tomotosoup

tomotosoup looney4bikes

Oddometer:
    Yeah I had it on topic for a page or two, then ya know it went South and never came back. I cant even find those pages anymore there are so many. I thought that fence looked familiar, sweet. I'll put some post modded pics up tonight!
  10. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    I,ve set the old girl on set suspension comfort settings for the rough roads here in Colombia.
    Seemed reasonable,just stood up for a minute ever hour or so!
    But I read somewhere that you can fit the gell seat from the SMT with a bit of chopping on the base plate of the seat.
    Anyone else heard anything about this little trick?
    Al
  11. tomotosoup

tomotosoup looney4bikes

Oddometer:
    turtle

The stock SMT seat should bolt right on, no mods necessary. The SMT seat is more comfortable for long hauls, but remember it is dished out, so you will sit lower in the bike, and you loose the bit of orange on the SMR seat that matches the frame. (probably already know that) The seat is actually cheap compared to other parts for this bike. (I'm still trying to swallow 200+ for a tank bag!) I plan on getting one (SMT seat) myself for longer stints. The only reason I don't have one yet I think is because its so easy to ride this bike standing up which helps a lot when your putting in a long day. I have my suspension set on the hardest sport settings, but I still wish it was stiffer. Of course the roads in Southern California are probably quite smooth compared to yours.
  12. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    Yep those hard settings,ll have your teeth out down in Colombia!

I,m finding the injection quite smooth as well.once you get used to it,s sensitive nature!
    Still got my old 2005 ADV to compare it too and if you,re not cack handed the two compare well!
    I,m digging the ten minutes it take to set up the suspension as well,simple even for a numbnuts like me!
    Al
  13. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have both the stock seat and KTM Ergo seat for mine.
    They both feel fine to me, but I'm not using them for long straight hauls.
    There really aren't many straight roads around here,
    but lots of twisty roads, so I'm moving around on the seat a lot.

The Ergo seat looks a lot like the stock SM-T seat.
    Are they the same?

14. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    I don,t think there,s a straight road in the whole of Colombia! Maybe that,s why Iko the dealer here in Medellin just sold 3 990SMR,s and thats more than you,ve seen in the States for Petes sake!
    You Gringos need to get out and educate the masses:evil
    Al
  15. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    And the g2ergo cammed throttle gives it even better control,
    especially in loose dirt and gravel.
    I use them on both the 690 and 990.

16. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:

That's more than I've seen for sure.
    Most of our dealers have never seen ANY!:lol3
  17. tomotosoup

tomotosoup looney4bikes

Oddometer:
    A few more pics of my SMR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pic shows the bike with white rims (powder coated or painted),
    either way looks nice but tough to keep clean I'm sure.
    [​IMG]

This pic is just over the top, very nice.
    [​IMG]
  18. tomotosoup

tomotosoup looney4bikes

Oddometer:
    Not everything written about the SMR 990 is positive. The bike is unique to say the least. It appears its sister bike, the SMT is more widely accepted and understood. Maybe its the T that makes the R so difficult to understand. I must admit to having mixed feelings about the bike after I bought it. I know this bike has quite a following in Europe, but here in the US, I still think its missing the mark. Personally I don't think the bike is priced correctly, with an MSRP of $14k its hardly flying off the show room floors. Even now I hear of dealers (the few that have them) selling 2010's for $12+. I've had mine for a little over a year now, and each day I'm getting a better handle on what this bike is all about. Here are a few reviews from respected sources, but like everything you read, have a grain of salt handy.

<a href="http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/ktm-990-sm-r" onClick="window.open('/cgi-bin/counter.pl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eashonbikes%2Ecom%2Fcontent%2Fktm-990-sm-r&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emusthavemotorcycles%2Ecom%2Fktm-smr%2Ehtml'); return false;">from ashonbikes</a>

"KTM&#8217;s 990 SM T is one of the best bikes of the year, which bodes well for its sibling, the 990 SM R. After all, the R has the same engine and frame with firmer suspension and better brakes, so it&#8217;s going to be even better. Isn&#8217;t it? The wheels and suspension are high competition spec too: Brembo Monobloc brake callipers, 10-spoke forged Marchesini wheels, fat 48mm inverted WP forks and a rear shock adjustable for high and low speed compression damping."<p> </p><p>
    <a href="http://www.superbike.co.uk/news/KTM_990_Supermoto_test_and_review_news_176826.html" onClick="window.open('/cgi-bin/counter.pl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esuperbike%2Eco%2Euk%2Fnews%2FKTM_990_Supermoto_test_and_review_news_176826%2Ehtml&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emusthavemotorcycles%2Ecom%2Fktm-smr%2Ehtml'); return false;">from Superbike</a>

"Thanks to a bigger 999cc fuel-injected V-twin motor, KTM's new 990 Supermoto now makes 115bhp. That's a healthy 17bhp more than the 950 carbed version it replaces, with a tad more torque to make wheelies and general lunacy that bit easier. Riding it brought plenty of the expected howls of laughter and respect for what this utterly brilliant bike can do."</p><p> </p><p>
    <a href="http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2009/11/16november09ktmsm/" onClick="window.open('/cgi-bin/counter.pl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emotorcycledaily%2Ecom%2F2009%2F11%2F16november09ktmsm%2F&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emusthavemotorcycles%2Ecom%2Fktm-smr%2Ehtml'); return false;">visit motorcycle daily</a>

"Out on a brief street ride, the R inhaled the twisty Laureles Grade, with more-than-ample power and that same grippy, tenacious feel it exhibited on the track. Riding a supermoto with this kind of power, brakes and excellent suspension doesn't really feel like a fair fight. If I had one, I'd probably have to make new friends. Power is snappy, with the same excellent fuel-injection and part-throttle response the RC8 R showed (featured in Part Two later this week), and the gearing felt about right for fast roadwork. The motor is more raw and buzzy than the silky, quick-revving RC8 mill, but if you're used to a thumper dual-sport, it's not objectionable."
  19. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    Have a look on youtube under ''motor cycle news'' for two video reports on the SMR.One against the Ducati Hyper motard and another against the 1200 Dorsoduro and the Hyper again!
    I would but I,m a bit inept with the old computer!
    Al
    PS hows the little screen workin for ya?
  20. tomotosoup

tomotosoup looney4bikes

Oddometer:
    Al

The screen seemed like a good purchase, it wasn't too expensive. It doesn't look bad either. I cant say I noticed a difference with it on, but any deflection is better than none.

I saw the video comparo with the Hyper... the one where they say the SMR wins on the street and on the track, but they would still buy the Hyper because they think it looks better. I cant argue with their opinion, I too think the Hyper is a sharp looking bike. I also think the SMR is great looking bike, one of the biggest reasons that drew me in to buying it. The fact that it out performs the Hyper is just the icing on the cake.

I haven't seen the Dorso 1200 comparo yet, I'll check it out. I will say this, I almost bought the Dorso 750, but I knew the litre version was coming out soon and I didn't want to be a 750 owner when it did.