TPMS accuracy??

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by duckboy, Nov 24, 2012.

1. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree and disagree. First, you can play your math games all you want, they usually don't come out right, or at least not good enough. Too many variables that are tough to get a good reading. That's why I don't trust the absolute numbers on the instrument panel. There are some rules of thumb that allow you judge the best traction by the amount of change in tire pressure as they heat up. They are difficult to figure when a compensation algorithm is playing with the numbers. That's the agree part. The disagree part is that they are not a silly gadget. I measure my air pressure and fill the tires "cold" before the bike moves. That way I know what my tire pressure actually is at under known conditions, not what some engineer thinks it should be. Why it is not a gadget is I watch the instrument reading for changes, usually loss of pressure. That is what keeps my ass intact.
  2. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This. ^^ TPMS is not there to tell you if your tires are inflated to the correct pressure to +/- 1 PSI. Use a good tire pressure gauge before you leave the house for that. TPMS is there so save your ass if you get a slow leak while riding. Happened to my buddy a few weeks ago -- he got a warning on the dash with the front down to 25 PSI. He had a slow leak and was able to limp home by topping up the tire a few times during the ride and keeping an eye on it with the TPMS.
  3. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. seniorasi

seniorasi Banned

Oddometer:
    If you firmly believe that why not keep your opinions to yourself and bypass the posts you're not interested in? FYI: I find the TPMS valuable on highway rides for MONITORING tire pressures as a way of accident prevention from a slow leak. Why bother with fuel injection? Get a carburated Airhead, forgo the fairing, ( after all it's merely an annoyance a rider of your caliber doesn't "need" ) and ride like you ought to: In the wind...pun intended.:rofl
  5. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Already been answered here. No need to feed the trolls.

6. seniorasi

seniorasi Banned

Oddometer:
    Good point. I wrote and posted prior to reading the remainder of the thread.