Lewis and Clark Book available (8,000 books shipped).

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by LewisNClark, Jul 1, 2009.

1. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "The Lewis and Clark Trail, Today" on an SD Card is $49.95
    The book is now only available on an SD card but when ordering the book we send as a email right to your PC or Ipad in a matter of minutes. You can easily make a copy of the book and GPS coordinates to a PC. GPS coordinates are shipped on an SD card so you have a permanent copy of the book and GPS files and can easily download the GPS /GPX files to most any GPS unit for GPS travels.

To order by email - cut and past this to your email site: EHaleyCMT@Comcast.NET
    or send us a PM = Private Message on this AdvRider site.

Or if you prefer just send a PM, "I want the book".
    We will email you a PayPal Invoice immediately and ship the book to you as via US Mail as soon as the PayPal invoice is paid. So you can start enjoying the book today. GPS coordinates are normally mailed within 24 hours.

Reader Comments about “The Lewis and Clark Trail, Today”

"Received the book a few week ago....and I'm not a big reader, but damn, you don't have to read this book, just listen to the audio version and look at the maps and pictures of their campsites as you listen to the book. This book is amazing and i had no idea these guys accomplished what they did. I will definitely listen and look at the book again if I can get it away from my son. Stanley, South Carolina

“After many hours of traveling the Lewis and Clark Trail in Missouri, I’m amazed at the depth of your publication. I have all your coordinates for Missouri downloaded to my Garmin and I’ve previously driven past dozens of campsites and that I did not even know existed. Thanks for your phenomenal contribution to preserving the Trail. Keith Morgan, St Louis, Missouri

“I’ve always wanted to travel the Trail but did not know where to start. Your book and GPS coordinates were exactly what I needed for our RV trip last summer.” Travis Holcomb, Denver, Colorado

“You’ve actually modernized the 1809 version of the “Lewis and Clark Journals”. I would wholeheartedly recommend your book to anyone interested in the Lewis and Clark trail. I had no idea there was a campsite three miles from my home until I saw it in your book.” Ray S. – Hampton, Montana

“The Lewis and Clark Trail, Today” is exactly what our customers are looking far. So many of our visitors are in RV’s or on motorcycles. They are almost always following the Lewis and Clark Trail and many or not looking for a lengthy book but just want to travel along the Trail.” Jo Ann Thiebolt – Bookstore Owner - Portland, Oregon

“This pictorial book is absolutely amazing. I loved the story and really felt like I learned more from this book than anything else I have ever read. The pictures and stories are both inspiring and educational.” W.Morris, New Jersey

“This book is very informative and really gave me the inspiration to start my own adventure next spring. The photography and story are simply incredible.” Keith Hinton, St Louis, MO

“I enjoyed the narrative and pictures immensely. I applaud the work you and others are doing in documenting and protecting the historic Lewis and Clark Trail. As you know, I'm using your book and coordinates to fly the Trail.” Carl Jorgensen - Carmichael, CA.

“A parent of one of my students gave me your book recently and as soon as I finished it is now approved reading for my 8th grade American History class. You’ve produced an outstanding record of one of the most significant events in American history.” Susan G. - Jacksonville, FL

“I loved the full color photography in the book. For me, the photo’s made me feel like I was along for the ride. After reviewing your story I now have the motivation to start my own trip this year. “ Amanda T. High School History Teacher

“One of the most significant Lewis and Clark publications in the past 10 years. This extensive photography of the actual campsites as they appear today has got to be a first. As a family of enthusiasts, I’ve given a copy of your book to all four of my children. Ralph M. – Missoula, MT.

The trail as it appears today from Camp Dubois near St Louis to Fort Clatsop on the Pacific. “This is without doubt the most extensive visual library of the Lewis and Clark Trail... a must see for every enthusiast. ”Dr. Charles Musselman, Huntsville, AL.

“Our museum has been selling “The Lewis and Clark Trail, Today” SD and week after week it is our most popular gift and bookstore item. We have the book running all day on a tablet by the cash register and when customer walk in, it is the first place they stop.” Vivian G. Yankton, South Dakota.

“Our bookstore has your pictorial book by the cash register. Unlike books and many other items, we never have to toss soiled or damaged merchandise. If other bookstores are looking for a “winner” have them call us. Martha S. – St Charles, MO.

“Some advice for other bookstores along the Lewis and Clark Trail. We have your “The Lewis and Clark Trail, Today” pictures running on an IPad in our store every day. It’s consistently our number one seller.” Janice Reeves, Bookstore Manager, Dillon, Montana.

"...bought your book on the AdvRider website. Never used a GPS in my life but bought a used Nuvi in the flea market and followed your 3 step simple instructions and did all of the Trails in Idaho, Oregon and Washington last summer on a $50 GPS. What a HOOT! Thanks for making the book and GPS coordinates available. I'm headed to Montana next summer." P. Baker, Bend, OR.

Attached Files:

2. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Wow, what an incredible amount of work. Great project! :freaky
  3. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Well over 8 years of putting the information together...
  4. Lambo

Lambo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone purchased this?Any feed back from a user?
  5. LewisNClark

Oddometer:

Over 8,000 (now 9,000) copies of the book have been shipped and we average 10,000 people each month viewing our library of Lewis and Clark Trail photographs on Smugmug. If you live in the WA area, you live in one of the best riding areas of the L&C Trail...from Astoria, OR over to Missoula, Montana is my favorite part of the trail, especially the Lolo Motoring Hwy. My favorite find in your area is a cave where Sgt Ordway and Colter caught 3 infant bear cubs and spent the day playing with them...there is a marker there now....but way off the beaten path and real hard to find.

In my case when I left Astoria (following the return journey) my GPS lead me to each campsite all the way back over the Lolo Trail. GPS coordinates came directly from an interpretation of William Clark's measurements of mileage from campsite to campsite and his writing down of latitude as they traveled. I'd estimate that 95% of the GPS coordinates are very accurate and the other 5% are my interpretation of their description of their campsites in the "Lewis and Clark Journals" that was published in 1809.

The GPS coordinates took three of us 2 1/2 years to complete and it's the only such publication. You do need to download a GPS viewing utility to see the route on your screen. Loading the GPS files is not that difficult. There are currently over 8,000 of the books in circulation and at a least 500 were shipped to AdvRiders, hikers and RV enthusiast that are using our GPS files to travel all or parts of the Lewis & Clark Trail.

LewisNClark
    You can copy and paste this email address to your Internet provider.

EHaleyCMT@COMCAST.NET
    LewisNClarkTrail@gmail.com
    theandy likes this.
  6. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Okay, this is just plain cool!
  7. Happy Buddha

Happy Buddha Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Email sent. Great work.
  8. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    It is a total surprise that so many people in other countries are buying the GPS SD card. ("The Lewis and Clark Trail, Today")...especially US military troops in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Europe who plan on doing the Lewis and Clark Trail when they return home. Several riders from New Zealand planning a L&C Trip. A retired AOL executive used the GPS coordinates to hike the entire Lolo Trail, solo.
  9. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    I just now saw this thread. What a great contribution to history. Thanks a ton, I'm going to get one of these CD's since I live right in the middle of it all. :thumb
  10. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Campsites in your 'hood. Note 9/14/1805 where they ate a horse not far from your house.
  11. ShadyRascal

Oddometer:
    7-3-06 site is just about on top of my house. I believe that was a lunch stop. Got the GPS numbers on that one?
  12. Makalu

Makalu Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome project. Thanks for putting in the time and effort to put this all together. :clap
  13. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    ShadyRascal - in your hood.
    3-July-1806:
    Clark and 22 members of the Expedition - near Victor, Montana

Clark's party is on horseback. Clark leads the largest party of soldiers and civilians 36 miles to a campsite near today's Hamilton, MT. Potts who had a severely cut leg is in much pain after being bounced on a hard riding horse. There is plenty of deer meat available, but they also suffer from the tormenting mosquitoes.

Clark wrote in his journal: "I took my leave of Captain Lewis and the Indians (two Nez Perce guides) and at 8:00 AM set out with 19 men, Interpreter Charbonneau, Sacajawea, and infant (1yr 5 mths old) with 50 horses. Clark heads home to St Louis and on this same day Lewis was headed NE to Cut Bank, MT looking for last chance to find a Northwest Passage, and boundary of the United States and Canadian border.

Location: 9 miles South of Victor, Montana. From Victor, MT go South of Hwy 93, go past Dutch Hill Road & Woodside Cutoff Road. About 1 and ¼ mile past these two roads the campsite should be on the right side of the road (heading south) beside a creek that runs under Hwy 93.

N 46.331056
    W 114.14682

(Look for flat level area that would hold 22 people in tents and corral 50 horses). Could have been a lunch stop, but those were not documented in their journals. The site above was more than likely a campsite. Erosion frequently changed this area of the trail/river. Clark & party were headed to dig up cached supplies/tools south of Dillon (Camp Fortunate), below Clark Lake.

14. ShadyRascal

Oddometer:
    Yep, that is directly west of my house maybe 2 or 3 miles, I'm going to check out those coordinates asap.

Undaunted Courage was one of my favorite books ever.
  15. geno_rocket

geno_rocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Living in the Gateway City, at the start of the expedition, and having read the Journals, Undaunted Courage, and spent untold hours exploring in the footsteps of Lewis and Clark, I am jumping for joy! :clap This is a fantastic electronic addition to my collection of information.

PM sent....

The long range plan to retrace the route just got better. Many, many thanks!
  16. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  17. Squanto!

Squanto! Master of Silent Death Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great Book but a real tough read with all the (time) period phrasing and spelling! It sure beat watching Fred McMurray and Charlton Heston duke it out in Far Horizons though! :lol3

PM sent for ordering info! :thumb
  18. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    A number of PMs and emails have asked me to layout reasonable mileage routes to take on the Lewis and Clark Trail.

This year (2021) we have improved the GPX (gps files) into smaller logical sections. Most gps files are just two states and most can be done in 5-7 days without having to do backtracking. Many are along the Missouri River and for example Kansas will be on one side of the river and Iowa will be on the opposite side of the river.

The following three maps start and end at key historical sites and are each roughly 4,000 miles (one way :evil ). Each map provides their share of asphalt and off-road trails. Depending on where you live and the distance that is from the trail. One of the below maps could be a choice for a starting point.

This map runs along the roads paralleling their campsites and covers both the west and east routes combined. The 3rd map includes Lewis and Clark's separate routes home. They reunited at Reunion Bay, North Dakota.

[​IMG]

Very scenic route and contains the most campsites of the entire Trail. Missouri Breaks are amazing and a must see but are a challenge to get to.

The most scenic portion of the trail. The horseshoe (SEE BELOW) of their route is where they screwed up and lost their direction, but provides one of the most scenic areas of the Trail. The Lolo Trail is a must and my favorite part of the entire trail. Lemhi Pass and Gibbons Pass are also a must see. Ms. Angles store in Tendoy, ID a worth while stop.

Reader Comments about “The Lewis and Clark Trail, Today”

“After many hours of traveling the Lewis and Clark Trail in Missouri, I’m amazed at the depth of your publication. I have all your coordinates for Missouri downloaded to my Garmin and I’ve previously driven past dozens of campsites and that I did not even know existed. Thanks for your phenomenal contribution to preserving the Trail. Keith Morgan, St Louis, Missouri

“I’ve always wanted to travel the Trail but did not know where to start. Your book and GPS coordinates were exactly what I needed for our RV trip last summer.” Travis Holcomb, Denver, Colorado

“You’ve actually modernized the 1809 version of the “Lewis and Clark Journals”. I would wholeheartedly recommend your book to anyone interested in the Lewis and Clark trail. I had no idea there was a campsite three miles from my home until I saw it in your book.” Ray S. – Hampton, Montana

“The Lewis and Clark Trail, Today” is exactly what our customers are looking far. So many of our visitors are in RV’s or on motorcycles. They are almost always following the Lewis and Clark Trail and many or not looking for a lengthy book but just want to travel along the Trail.” Jo Ann Thiebolt – Bookstore Owner - Portland, Oregon

“This pictorial book is absolutely amazing. I loved the story and really felt like I learned more from this book than anything else I have ever read. The pictures and stories are both inspiring and very educational.” W.Morris, New Jersey

“This book is very informative and really gave me the inspiration to start my own adventure next spring. The photography and story are simply incredible.” Keith Hinton, St Louis, MO

“I enjoyed the narrative and pictures immensely. I applaud the work you and others are doing in documenting and protecting the historic Lewis and Clark Trail.” Carl Jorgensen - Carmichael, CA.

“A parent of one of my students gave me your book recently and it is now approved reading for my 8th grade American History class. You’ve produced an outstanding record of one of the most significant events in American history.” Susan G. - Jacksonville, FL

“I loved the visual portrayal in the book. For me, the photo’s made me feel like I was along for the ride. After reviewing your story I now have the motivation to start my own trip this year. “ Amanda T. High School History Teacher

“One of the most significant Lewis and Clark publications in the past 10 years. This extensive photography of the actual campsites as they appear today has got to be a first. As a family of enthusiasts, I’ve given a copy of your book to all four of my children. Ralph M. – Missoula, MT.

The trail as it appears today from Camp Dubois near St Louis to Fort Clatsop on the Pacific. “This is without doubt the most extensive visual library of the Lewis and Clark Trail... a must see for every enthusiast.”Dr. Charles Musselman, Huntsville, AL.

“Our museum has been selling “The Lewis and Clark Trail, Today” DVD and week after week it is our most popular gift and bookstore item. We have the DVD running on an IPad all day and when customer walk in, it is the first place they stop.” Vivian G. Yankton, South Dakota.

“Our bookstore has your pictorial DVD by the cash register. Unlike books and many other items, we never have to toss soiled or damaged merchandise. If other bookstore are looking for a “winner” have them call us. Martha S. – St Charles, MO.

“Some advice for other bookstores along the Lewis and Clark Trail. We have your “The Lewis and Clark Trail, Today” book running on a computer in our store everyday. It is consistently our number one seller.” Janice Reeves, Bookstore Manager, Montana.

[​IMG]
  19. ShadyRascal

Oddometer:
    I drive by that all the time, and every time I think that it is so cool. That, and the tiny log house post office just north of Salmon.
  20. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    :D