VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pointing that out Unstable Rider... My slip up on that one. Ha Ha.

I see that there is a picture, mod, and introduction threads on the V Strom, and this thread has nothing to do with them !!! This thread is about bring all the V Strom stuff into one spot if it works... It is open to all the 650's and 1000's, and it fills in as and open channel in the beast category as I mention at the beginning !!! Some folks might like it, and some might not, but that's the way it goes I guess.

Sorry if it doesn't work for you, but I'm sure that it will gain ground as time passes by.

From Don
  2. XCRider803

XCRider803 Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer:
    Really? There's already plenty of these since the 'Strom came out 9 years ago and you didn't even spell it right..... :huh
  3. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried to change the heading with no luck, then I tried to delete the thread, and that didn't work either. I guess it will have to stay up I guess.

Thanks from Don
  4. (RJ)

(RJ) n00b

Oddometer:
    2006 and enjoying every minute of it.[​IMG]
  5. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    Picked up an 04 wee on Thursday. Only gripe I have so far is minor corrosion on various parts. WTF Suzuki you couldn't put a better finish on it?:freaky
  6. CVBruce

CVBruce CVBruce

Oddometer:
    I have an '04 with 92k km. I've ridden two-up, but mostly solo, and am always happy to have the extra ooomph. I've ridden the 650, back-to-back and I prefer the engine in the 1000.

As a point of comparison, I have averaged over 229 fill-ups (yes, I recorded them all), 51.4 mpg (Imperial gallons, not U.S.) or 5.5 L/100 km. That seems to be 43 mpg U.S.

I ride easy, I don't rocket away from stop signs, I don't cruise more than 20 km/hr over the speed limit.

Bruce
  7. quattroman

quattroman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello fellow Strom Troopers.

Last Thursday I picked up a 2012 DL1000 in black. Looking forward to a summer of fun riding this beast.

I will not bother you guys with pictures of my stock bike (can be found the Vstrom Pics thread).
  8. Nitro1970

Nitro1970 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd take it and have the ECM and plug "upgrade" done... It eliminated the "stubble" mine had at around 2800rpm
  9. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Suzuki are providing Nair under warranty now?

I think you mean "Stumble" :D
  10. Nitro1970

Oddometer:
    Yep...

Stubble?? WTF... Lmao
  11. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picking up a new to me Vee this week. 2006 with GIVI windshield, and top case, Sargent seat, two powerlet outlets, and a GPS shelf. Plan on adding crashbars, skid plate and side cases before I take it to Labrador in August. Pics to follow later in the week.
  12. lgajohnymac

lgajohnymac Ride wrench wait

Oddometer:
    Bike is a new 2012 bought in Mar 2013. When I called the asheville NC local dealer, I was told that they would have to ride it before implementing the change. I have about 1700 miles on it, and the steady throttle response crusing in 3-4th gear from 2k to 4.5k rpm's is lightly surgy. Feels like I am riding down a bumpy road. Question is, should a dealer take the owners word? Or argue after leaving the bike for a test ride that an associate spent 10 minutes riding?
  13. Nitro1970

Oddometer:
    Bought mine in mid Feb and the fuel gauge wasn't working so I took it to the shop to get that fixed and mentioned the surging... A week later they called me and let me know that the fuel gauge was fixed and the parts where ordered to fix the surging... Not sure if they rode it or not... Service bulletin http://bruceatk.com/20130306_055_dl1000_low_rpm_hesitation_and_surging_service_bulletin.pdf

More reading:
    http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-[-vee]/93874-interesting-news-my-dealer-2012-ecm.html
  14. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ask a Mod to change it...

But you may want to consider any one of these threads...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156028

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114535

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64304

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778893

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397212

Not trying to be a killjoy, but you may find your Thread merged with one of these others.
  15. lgajohnymac

lgajohnymac Ride wrench wait

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the links, I couldn't find the bulletin anywhere a couple weeks ago. And I don't like leaving the bike with the dealer for a whole week, while I am out of town. One would think that the owner would know best and the dealer could order the parts for the work at my, the owner's, request. Then schedule an appointment to do the work.
  16. Nitro1970

Oddometer:
    I didn't like leaving mine a week either after all I just bought it the week prior(maybe 500-600 miles on it) and now going in the shop... Ugh!!! Just for clarification sake... The fuel gauge took a week to get fixed (only cause they were running behind). When the ECM came in they called me and i rode to the shop. The actual ECM upgrade took about 12 mins after they rolled it in the back... At the dealer maybe 25 mins tops. I put the new plugs in my pocket to install them at a later date. Good luck to ya.
  17. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    Took my new Strom out for a little dirt road play time in San Diego County off of Wildcat Canyon Road on the Indian Reservation

[​IMG]

Pretty good hillclimb to get to this little hilltop. Great view though and the bike took the hill in stride.
    [​IMG]
  19. McTacticool

McTacticool Importer/Exporter

Oddometer:
  20. Izrock

Izrock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to drop a quick line about our experience with Rick's fork brace. My son and I installed the fork braces on our 2007 650 Wees this past weekend and immediately took them out for a 250 mile ride through the tri-state area of NW NC, NE TN, & SW VA. Very twisty roads offered lots of opportunities to see if we could notice a difference in the handling. The answer is a resounding YES! I also rode a couple of hundred miles of interstate passing and being passed by tractor-trailers etc. The turbulence used to be extremely tiring. Now its as if the bike is riding on rails. Bottom line the Rick's fork brace is an excellent product, well priced, well made, and shipped promptly.