Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    :vardy:bow I mean this as a compliment; you, sir, are a crazy person!
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I had to go put a sweater on after seeing that. :lol3

3. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    There's a point where the equipment will no longer yield any improvements, and there is a point where the athlete will no longer improve.
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Snowed last nite. Time to break out the mtn bike and go play in the woods

:ricky

M
  5. zippy

zippy Southside of the Sun

Oddometer:
    2 miles into my ride work interrupts with transaction logs filling, yarg.........

Thankfully I was on the TDF bike and was a short walk to laptop. Couldn't get the stage I was riding to reload so chose a different one but got a work out in anyhow.. Hopefully tonight will be fixed gear pedal.

Pedaled with a friend Monday and flatted on my way home. The tire was almost glued on to the rim and the tube stuck to the tire ??
    Michelin Krylion carbon tires clinchers.. Mighty strange. Replaced tube and all was well .
  6. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    When one is as fast as you and causes excessive heat buildup in the tire, the tire starts to melt to the rim. :thumb
  7. zippy

zippy Southside of the Sun

Oddometer:

I only wish that was the reason . Twas a 27 mile ride, tire started feeling squishy at about 21 miles in. I pumped it up it felt good but went flat again shortly after. I averaged about 17 mph for the ride.
    bought the michelins from a friend who was closing his shop and selling at bargain prices. I am now looking for something in the 25 - 28mm range. Cannot find the conti top contacts I love in 28 anywhere.

you must have me confused with Aurelius, he is the fast guy from florida.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. Looks like you'll have to "settle" for the regular Contacts, which is what I'm currently on.

BTW, tires stick to rims. I've had to use a screwdriver and ice pick to dig rubber out of the beads on some vintage stuff.

:rofl
  9. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    New frame's here! New frame's here!

:clap

Now to get it built up ASAP. (re-using old parts BTW)

M
  10. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    You do know that'll make you super slow right...
  11. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Some people will do anything for another KOM.

:lol3
  12. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    His narrative is pretty amusing...:lol3
  13. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  14. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    yeah, just trying to figure out what problem it solves that makes it worth $1K,...

as it is, i typically only use one finger most of the time now anyway, and have the option of that being any one of 3; this seems like it would eliminate that choice of which finger to use, which might be OK in places that only have elevation changes in the double-digit range... (no pun intended!).

15. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    obviously not a true statement; clearly there are people who will buy anything, for "reasons" real or imagined.

16. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    of course if those "racers" were truly good, people would be *giving* them bikes,... clearly, buying new equipment isn't getting those guys there. :rofl

most of the serious racers i knew that were just outside the level of being good enough to have equipment given to them were too busy racing and training to be able to afford buying new stuff monthly or even annually, and were scraping to keep an econobox running well enough to get to the next race. the guys that are busy supporting the bicycling industry typically weren't the guys winning races.

17. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    I broke my second set of sunringle flats a couple weeks ago, looking for a replacement in the $75 range. I have big feet, the more real estate the better.
  18. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    pretty bad comparison; there's not likely to be any place in your equipment that can make as big of a difference in performance as your wheels, due to the rotating weight.

you can spend many multiples more on other parts of the bike that won't make anywhere near as much perceived difference as a good set of lighter wheels will provide.

19. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    while i can understand replacing something that's not working as well as you'd like, i have to question the shops that are giving you a story like that considering that 3x(5-6-7-8-9-10) has been working well in places that have elevation changes in the multiple thousands of feet for decades already... could it be they just don't have the experience setting the stuff up properly?

or,.. i don't suppose either of those shops sell the 1x10 setup, hmm? :lol3

20. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    As far as I was concerned, 3 x 7 had plenty of gears for riding the mtns around VA Tech. I thought having that granny ring was the shiznit compared to what I had to push (7sp @ 39 x 24) on my road bike. :nod

Then I went 8 and had a 16 AND a 23. Man o man was I in high cotton then!

9, 10, and now 11 aren't nearly as important as that step from 7 to 8 gears in the back. :nah

re the frame: ...and I don't see how I can get any slower than I am now. :nah Only way to go is up!

M