From Tiger 800 to GS WC. What's your experience?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by despistao, Nov 19, 2013.

1. despistao

despistao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I currently have a Tiger 800 (roadie versión). It's my firts bike and i've done 65.000 km in 2 years (still power restricted due to European regulations).

I just passed the A license test so i can finally drive any bike and i'm thinking about upgrading to the GS WC.

Anyone did the same change? What are the main pros and cons you've experienced?

Cheers
  2. IndyTiger800

IndyTiger800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just went from a Tiger 800 to the GSW and I never looked back. Even tho the GS is 50lb heaver it fells like 100 lighter. The tiger is top heavy ans dives into the turns. The GS handles more like the Daytona 675 I had before the Tiger.
    Not to mention that the GS has so much more on it. Of course it cost a lot more.
    I just have 605 miles on mine and I already know that this bike is a keeper. So much so I purchased the extended warranty.
    Phil
  3. 46er

46er Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently sold my Tiger 800XC and bought a 2014 GSW.

What I like better about the GS: it feels more balanced, it has better wind management, I like the sound better, more power, more features (traction control, ESA, etc), much better seat (for me and my wife), handles better IMO, better brakes and much better suspension. Also, I'm not sure why, but I am more comfortable on gravel and dirt roads than I was with the Tiger. I find myself riding 5-15 mph faster on the same roads that I was riding with my Tiger.

What I liked better on the Tiger: better transmission/clutch (shifted much smoother), better lights (although I have not adjusted mine yet on the GSW).

Overall I am very, very happy with my GSW. I have had it 3 weeks and due to weather and work have only been able to put 1000 miles on it, but so far I am very impressed. Also, for what it's worth, I have had zero issues with the bike to date (knock on wood)!
  4. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I switched recently from a Tiger 800 Roadie to a 2014 R1200GS. Here are some thoughts:

Weight - The GS is heavier and it's very noticeable when man-handling the bike. Pushing it back into the garage, pushing it out of a parking space, etc. As soon as you're riding though, it feels like the GS is actually lighter. It handles easier and feels "just so".

Suspension - I had a mix of Traxxion/Oehlins on the Tiger and this suspension was better than the Dynamic ESA I have now. But the GS is still worlds beyond the OEM suspension of the Tiger and the Telelever is just a much, much better concept in my opinion. But I can see that the latter is a matter of taste.

Brakes - Absolutely no comparison. The Tiger brakes are plain crap in comparison to the GS. Total shit. Hard to describe, but they are plain in different worlds.

Ergonomics - The differences are subtle, but they made for a lot of comfort gain for me. I ruined my right shoulder on the Tiger over the last year and I'm not happy with that. For me the handle bar was too straight, too low, too far forward, the seat too far back and/or the footpegs too far forward. The whole rider triangle was crap for me and I played around with it for the whole 16 months I had the Tiger and couldn't get it right for me. Got on the GS and everything just fits. Of course, this is very, very personal.

Power - Again, no comparison. Somehow the GS feels like it has twice the power of the Tiger. I don't care all too much, never missed power on the Tiger and I prefer the not-so-dynamic riding modes on the GS for the more linear access to power.

Engine - The Triple is smooth. Incredibly so. But I still have less "burning sensation" in my hands after a day on the GS than after a day on the Tiger even though the Tiger seems to have much less vibration.

Transmission - Again, no comparison, just this time the other way around. I think the transmission on the GS is a box of junk badly put together.

Final Drive - I hate chains. Always did, always will.

Overall, I liked that the Tiger was smaller and lighter, I loved the engine and the gear box, had a great suspension after spending ~$2.5k on it, and it was a great bike to own except the ergonomic issues I had. Personally, I'm much happier with the GS now and know for certain that I should have never sold my 2010 GS to get the 2012 Tiger. I came back to the GS and I will keep it.
  5. SCFoster

SCFoster It is what it is Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too had a 2010 GS Adventure. Sold it for a K1600GTL which was then sold for a F800GS. Should have stuck with the GSA. Now I'm thinking about the GSW Adventure.
  6. Botch

Botch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would like to ask you previous Tiger owners: does that bike exhibit the "hunting" that the GS does around 3100-3400, riding at a steady speed either level or downhill? I have the "Booster Plug" and that didn't exactly help that issue (for me). :ear
  7. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Mine did ever so slightly at certain rpms. But much, much less than the GS at lower rpms.
  8. despistao

Oddometer:
    Thans all for your answers :clap

I'm afraid it is time to test ride the GS.

Gods of Triumph, please forgive me :D
  9. despistao

Oddometer:
    I was vey interested in your opinions, I think I remember you from the Tiger 800 UK forum (was you?).

As my english is not my native language, forgive me for some of my silly questions. When you talk about transmission, are you meaning the gear box?

Weight is one of my concerns, as I have to move my bike in and out my garage everyday.

About suspension, I have the stock one, so I'm pretty sure I'll notice a huge improvement. I agree about brakes on the T800

And engine vibrations is other of my concerns.

But, as i said in the previous post, time to test ride it
  10. despistao

Oddometer:
    I'm afraid I don't understand the meaning of the term "hunting" related to the bike's performance :shog
  11. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Yes, that was me.

Yes.

Same here. It's not really a problem with the GS, just a bit harder than with the Tiger or my wife's R1200R.

The boxer is an interesting beast in that regard. My wife's R1200R is glass smooth at highway speeds (between 60 and 75mph). Smoother than my Tiger was at the same speed. My GS isn't quite as smooth but is also a bit newer.

Overall, I have no issues with the vibrations of the boxer, they exist, but they don't annoy me. On the Tiger they are barely there, but sometimes they got to me a bit (tingling in feet and hands).