2014 Dakar rumours ???

Discussion in 'Racing' started by SafariBerg, Oct 20, 2012.

1. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    Hmmm anyone heard any rumours or innuendo re Dakar 2014 possible location ???

Been getting some whispers that Dakar may move away from South America :huh

Hard to see that happening in the near future, specially in the light of HRC rally spend mostly coming out of S. America $$

BUT

:hmmmmm
  2. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    Ok. I'll play.

I haven't heard anything at all but it is cool to think of what the options could be... So, where could you hold a 5,000+ mile off-road rally?

USA/Canada - You'd have to circle around some and double back on yourself a bit to fit that distance in any place with tough terrain, but possible. If you added Mexico you could make it interesting but then security concerns might come into play.

Australia - Maybe some good options but I don't see it ever being held in just one country.

Mongolia/Russia and a 'Stan or two - Interesting?

Back to Africa - Would they do that?

Hmmm. It's fun to spin the globe around and wonder...
  3. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
    actually not playing, serious contacts in South America have said to me it may be going elsewhere soon
  4. BigBearJoe

BigBearJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Elsewhere where? Even if it is just rumor.
  5. SafariBerg

Oddometer:

dunno, they just said not South America
  6. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    If I was running a team from europe and wanted to suggest a way to save money for the teams and reduce the limit of access to lessor funded teams, i would say start the Rally in Europe. It would bring the race home to a larg fan base and spectating could be vigorious like in So Am. Maybe munich and wind around the Mediterranian in "friendly territory" through hungary romania bulgaria turkey iraq saudi arabia then end in Qatar. Gonna have to map quest that To see if there are enough miles of desert in the end.

So Munich to Qatar 2014?
  7. escuchamente

escuchamente Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    If the results of the Arab spring finally bring stability to the area, Dakar will return to Africa. Maybe not West Africa and the city, Dakar, but Tunisia, Libya, Egypt. Morocco then east would be ideal, but without Algeria welcoming the event a cross N. Africa event wouldn't totally work.
    Anyway, pray for peace, prepare for rally.
  8. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    If we're talking Africa, then a loop starting and ending in South Africa wοuld be the only viable option considering the political instability up north?
  9. wingnut11

wingnut11 generally strange

Oddometer:

How about pick three from your list, keep South America and run one of them every three months. I'm sure that you it could be worked out to so the races take place during the best time of year in each place.
  10. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

Seems like Safariberg has started the rumour :D

The Argentinian press has already said that 2014 will again commence there and in Buenos Aires, but that's only the press and the Argentinian one at that :D

The Middle East sounds interesting, but forget it on logistics, border and troubles - pretty much the same in North Africa other than Egypt & Morroco and parts of Mauritainia - hmmm - been most of there unless you venture back, but a big target!!:eek1:defend .

You cant get from Turkéy to Saudi without going through Syria, Iraq or Iran - so no go :eek1.
    You can fly over them, but again no go for a rally.

To get from Saudi to Qatar and vica versa by road is beaurocratically difficult and no gurantees that with all the paperwork you would be in a que for hours and miss deadlines - what is guranteed though is that someone (more than one) would not get through :eek1

Having said this I am not sure how they got between the UAE and Qatar after the DC this year, as that passes through KSA - perhaps someone could enlighten us - whatever happend though it would be more than just a few hours.:deal

UAE into Oman and back could be 1,500 km x 2 - but permissions and logistics/ border crossing would be fraught with paperwork risk also.:eek1:deal

Qatar has the money to support such a rally, but with a country the size of a postage stamp (just see what this years rally was like there) it is a very difficult scenarion to consider how they would be Dakar central:eek1?

Most of the Northern Hemisphere will be in the grip of winter - Canada already do snowmobiles, sledges and huskey's, so unless the calander is adjusted by 6 months a no go?

North America - you NA guys tell us, I'm sure there could be a book written on why and why not?

Plenty said about Africa - there is the South and the Namibian Desert, but things do eat you down there :D

But where is Safariberg based?:evil

It would be as hot as Dingos bum though :topes - got no Dingo's :rofl:rofl
  11. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I think North America is very unlikely - the insurance premium would drive the ASO away...

Mexico & Central America could be an option... ?
  12. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    I don't see it. With the current unrest in all around the Sahara, Africa is not an option in the foreseeable future.

Europe just doesn't have that kind of open terrain. The Central Europe Rally in '08 was a disaster with 3-4 days consisting of running the same gravel tracks on military testing grounds over and over. Everybody apart from Carlos Sainz hated it.
    The interest in Europe (Spain, France and the crazy Dutch) is there anyway, no matter where in the world it is run.

North America is very unlikely due to land use issues.

Central Asia might be an option.

South America still makes the most sense. Stunning scenery, stable politics, crazy fans and an a good market for Honda and Spanish sponsors.
  13. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Russia and Central Asia would be my bet (if I were a betting man)...
  14. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Australia is out.

We may have the terrain, but there is no way that you could get the relevant Government departments to allow access to it.:deal
  15. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
    It was genuine comment that orginated from Chile, so I was looking for any corroborative comments out there rather than speculation or wish lists :D

We have a genuine interest in 2014 Dakar location given that there is an entry planned which has preparation already underway.
  16. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Really?

Actually... Australia; because of the large tracts of private land (cattle stations etc.) is one of the few places in the world where you CAN run an event like the DAKAR without having to use vast tracts of government controlled land (and all the red tape that is involved).

Yeah... it's not likely that one would get permission from the South Australian Gov't to run up through the Flinders Ranges National Park, or a permit to run straight across the Simpson Desert conservation area - off piste/GPS nav style... but once the Australian Gov't saw the publicity and economic clout that the DAKAR brings with it... even some of those doors could swing open... Just look at what West Australian government contacts afford the Oz Safari to run this year... the beach and dune stages.... AWESOME!

That sort of thing is unheard of on the east coast states!

So don't shitcan the idea cap in hand people... it could happen... How likely it is...? Well, I reckon only the brass at Australasian Safari and the ASO management are the ones best positioned to have an idea of what the answer is. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  17. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    As much as I hate to admit it, you are right. For more than a year now, there are news that the border between Morocco and Algeria will open any day. This could give us some hope as these two have enough space to run a Dakar but they neighbour Mali, Libya, Niger and Mauritania - AQIM territory.

:nod :nod

Dakar was raced around the Sahara for almost 30 years. Stepping out of Africa, ASO discovered that they haven't lost the brand, that they could recreate the race mostly anywhere where scenery, sponsorship, logistics and politics allows - even keeping the touareg logo!

From now on they will head where the money and strategy dictate. Volkswagen wanted to sell Amaroks in South America, Honda wants to sell even more millions of CG's and Tornados... The local public goes wild with the race, and we never heard the global TV audience to be waning. Even us (the african addicted) have accepted El Dakaro. What reasons could there be to head somewhere else in the next 2 or 3 editions?
  18. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    If they can, why not we.

Make full screen, drag timetable to left and set speed 80 or so. and set trackline on.
    And klick play.
  19. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    :nod And with Libya, everything got worse. Too many people with guns and crazy ideas running around there. What a shame for this beautiful part of the world and the people there.

Monsieur Lavigne: "Hey, government of Chile/Peru/Argentina/Bolivia/[Brazil?]! You know what? If you don't give us XX millions, we go back to Africa next year! The rumors are already EVERYWHERE! They even talk about it on ADV, see?"
  20. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a possibility I would throw the UAE/Oman and Saudi into the equation.

Facts :
    Desert Challenge is 2400 km long.
    Oman can easily host the same distance with the inclusion of mountainous terrain.
    Saudi bar the problems which may arise with female competitors has some awesome desert terrain.

Even without Saudi, you could host a 7000-8000km rally in this region and you probably would ride any track twice.

I even think the UAE Motorsport Federation has discussed this matter a few years back when the Dakar got cancelled. The former chairman is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_bin_Sulayem

They have the money, the period of the year would fit.

Not saying it will happen but it could easily. Start in Abu Dhabi, work your way to the empty quarter, 2-3 days there, stage up to Dubai, Dubai - Fujeirah, Fujeirah- Ras Al Khaimah, Mountains up to Dibba, Dibba to Sohar, Beach run from Sohar to Muscat, Muscat up through the mountains again and down. Muscat to Salalah, Salalah back through the mountains. It would be awesome.