Canada/Alaska this Summer

Discussion in 'Americas' started by kag, Jan 23, 2013.

1. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Thought I would post this up as i saw so others doing it with good success. I have 30 days for 15Jun-15July to make the trip there and back.......no real plans other to get there and get back. i want to camp as much as possible to save a little cash but if its raining hard a lodge, barn, or garage works for me. Plan to enjoy the ride but would like to power through the lower 48 to the border. Taking the ferry part of the way back is also an option. I lived in AK for about 8 yrs and have driven it several times about a decade ago so I know what to expect. Bugs, rain, more bugs and more rain....lots of photo ops.

Looking for stable and calm to partner up on the long part of the ride but if at some point we part ways no harm no foul. I am either riding my Buell Ulysses or my Harley....just depends. Turning 50 this year and just want to do it.

shoot me a pm or email me davemhughes@yahoo.com if you have an interest
  2. dreamtour

dreamtour Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM you.
  3. stringbeen

stringbeen n00b

Oddometer:
    I am planning a trip from the Vancouver area to Ontario leaving around June 15th. It does not sound as though the schedule fits yours, but if it does you consider joining for the leg to Banff.
  4. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
  5. cardoctor1

cardoctor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3
  6. jprism

jprism Got Miles & Smiles

Oddometer:
    PM you!
  7. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will thoroughly enjoy the D2D, take my word on it!!! Been twice from Toronto and I'm going next year if all the stars line up correctly once again!:freaky
  8. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Don't know why none of the PM's came through. Did get one email....

Planning is going well for me. Starting to square away all the mechanical what if issues. Replacing things that could go wrong as my harley has 46K on it. New metzelers, cam shoes, battery, belt, wheel bearings. Lots of other things planned to prep. But wanted to get the bike completely ready. I opted to ride my Ultra instead of my Buell Ulysses as the Uly while running great I just don't have the faith in it to do a trip like this so it will remain a commuter ride.
  9. bigphish

bigphish Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer:
    Wandering WNC and sometimes in Costa Rica
    PM sent
  10. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    PM's and emails answered.

I am open to a lot different options. I don't plan to spend much time in Alaska other than going and seeing my old house in Delta Junction then turning south to head down to the glen and valdez to probably pick up the ferry. Would not mind spending a day in Juneau, sitka, and Ket then getting off in Prince Rupert and heading home. Maybe a fishing charter in Sit and ket for some Halibut.
  11. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    My ride I am taking.....minus the trailer

[​IMG]
  12. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Maybe thinking of riding to prince rupert then the ferry to skagway then up and around back down through haines and back on the ferry

Wander lust
  13. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Those 3 roads are awesome! And if you work it out right you, the vehicle operator, will be able to ride for free between PR and one of those other 2 towns if you buy a r/t ticket for your bike.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  14. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Something to think about.

Still putting it together but going to happen. Earliest i can leave would be 8th of June. Still plan to camp unless pouring rain......