The F5 Bivouac (rallye raid news) and W2RC - World cross country rally championship

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can watch it live at filmon.com

http://www.filmon.com/#ITV4

:clap:clap:clap
  2. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    Press Release:

Bolivia Declares Dakar Rally a National Priority

"President Evo Morales announced the approval of a supreme decree giving authority to guarantee the power supply during the arrival and the stay of competitors in the Andean region of Potosi, in a press conference in the Government Palace Wednesday."
  3. too old

Oddometer:
    Good old Chavo (Juan Carlos) - pretty sure he has been the most singular influence on taking the Dakar to Bolivia - should be a rather large 2 day party for some.:clap:clap
  4. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    From Dakar's news page:

"For [Bolivia], this is an opportunity to showcase to the entire world the grandness and mysticism of the Salar de Uyuni", explained the head of state, . . . the seventh stage of the rally, right in the heart of the world's largest salt flat.

[Pointed] out by Etienne Lavigne: "The riders in the motorcycle category will come up against a stage that stands out both for its beauty and for its toughness. Even at the end of the day they will be left to their own resources, since it will be a marathon stage where they'll only be allowed to get assistance from other riders."

Salar de Uyuni
    [​IMG]
  5. silentwolf

silentwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    'Dakar Rally a National Priority'

'the approval of a supreme decree'

C'mon now...
    Shouldn't Dakar be everyone's supreme decree of national priority? :evil

Go Bolivia! Wish I could be there this year, breaking new ground.

Think anyone will go for land speed records on the salt flats..? :lol3
  6. too old

Oddometer:
    Ha ha - maybe, but there are a few real considerations -

Chavo can tell us whether these salt flats will be dry or wet in January - quite different conditions?

If dry and considering some of the bikes can do 175 kmph and others only 160 there could be some big times pulled - but if it is marathon day(s) then who is going to push the bike, that is unless they need the minutes ? - could be a classic couple of days :clap
  7. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    They must have the lights go out often down there.. "giving authority to guarantee the power supply"
  8. chavo_dakar_bolivia

chavo_dakar_bolivia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been told that the Salar is flooded with water in January, Neil (bluebull) can probably confirm this too. So I dont foresee no land speed records being broke in Dakar ....
    The government is very enthusiastic about Dakar (it helps the President is very much into soccer himself and likes motorsports)
    They made this good footage showing the region where Dakar will pass by(but of course with no idea on the bikes/riders shown) but it shows they are being proactive about it:
    http://youtu.be/Z00yq6a2GSs

I think this might be one of the best marathon camps ever with EXCELLENT treatment to riders, unlike Argentina stage this year where we froze are asses of at night with no blankets/sleeping bags.

Hope to see some of you down there with me!
  9. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    yup I concur sir !!
  10. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He's just looking for a bike, was hoping for Honda but maybe Honda is just not ready for the challenge. A debacle like Rossi to Ducati is not what Honda wants
  11. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must admit I find it surprising that a rider with Despres' pedigree has to deal with this level of uncertainty (unless he has something up his sleeve that he's not talking about). I remember when the original rumour was leaked pre Dakar that he was leaving KTM (by Doyle was it?) At the time I could hardly believe that he'd contemplate leaving such a successful set up voluntarily but then the lure of HRC and a big bucks contract gave it some credibility. If HRC has indeed fallen through then surely Despres has made a massive blunder leaving KTM (or was he squeezed out?) :huh Fascinating stuff anyway. :hmmmmm:ear
  12. too old

Oddometer:
    + 1 on that, Mr. CDP has 2 more wins in his sights before he goes anywhere is my guess and similar to Aussie 66 I can't imagine HRC is ready for a rider chief to go with all the others.:evil

As Jurassic says I would be pretty surprised if he isn't organised already though and I would expect that the news will be broke with a bit of style :freaky
  13. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    And if all else fails Kawi may make him a deal to ride a klr :rofl
  14. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a great video! Kudos to Evo Morales!!!

He is kicking some serious ass in Uyuni, recently the major and one of his ministers got fired after visiting the place ahead of the Dakar next year. The local airport has been revamped completely, and there is a huge cleanup drive taking place in the town itself.

They are building a 6 million dollar electrical substation as part of the upgrade for Dakar (we love it because our mine is nearby and going to benefit too).

I can confirm the Salar was under about 0.5m of water and is quite dangerous to be on during that time of year.
  15. too old

Oddometer:
    Best not start with saltgate just yet :lol3, but it seems rather odd to contemplate such a stage if the conditions are like that?
  16. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just reading the latest Rally Raid Review tweets and was interested to read about the Despres to Yamaha speculation. I totally understand (and agree with) the sentiment that someone of CDPs stature in rallying wouldn't contemplate a regional team like Yamaha (France/Europe) but I can't help wondering with all the delay in him announcing anything whether his proposed "dream move" to HRC is on the rocks? If that were the case it may be a best of the rest situation for Le Patron.........:huh Just my speculation of course.
  17. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    To be honest that isn't such a silly idea - after all, who better than Yamaha France to support the no.1 French rider?

The WRs (and it's JVO derivatives) have proved themselves already with Podium places in the hands of Fretigne and Rodrigues (and often against the 690s too), and it is arguably still the strongest of all the current 450cc enduro based bikes/engines out there...

And hey, wouldn't it be sweet for Despres to beat the Peterhansel's record riding on a Yamaha too!

Jx
  18. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, maybe he'll be in the market for a nice used WR for a practice bike in the meantime? I wonder where he could source such a beast? :evil
  19. auguzt

auguzt get on with it

Oddometer:
    Let's not forget Casteau and Pain performances at the latest Dakar...

Yes, it is not a strange scenario after all...
  20. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    The speculation has been around for a while. The HRC deal, as told to me by some in the know, was 99% certain, but now sits about 95% certain. Word is that a agree to agree deal is in place but they have yet to ink the final signatures.

The reason for the slip to 95% is that HRC may be a little wary that if Cyril doesn't dominate, then they only reason (as perceived from the outside) has to be a problem with the bike.

Now on one hand, this sounds ludicrous as why wouldn't HRC want to employ the services of the best rider given the chance but on the other, I suspect that HRC's rally effort might by a bit of a pet project in Honda and may be operating on a very short leash. If that is the case, they may want to build up performance milestones in a more restrained manner with Sam and Helder. Adding Despres to the mix puts the entire HRC directly in the spotlight and they may not be comfortable with that.

My personal feeling is that HRC have retreated to their secret lair and will debut an entirely new machine and will announce Despres as the rider. I think they will package the two together as a big PR release, perhaps in time for Dos Sertoes or Ruta 40 where Despres will not be up against the might of Coma or Barreda off the bat.

As for Yamaha, I have discounted most of the rumor. I just can't see a rider of Despres' caliber moving to a non-factory effort no matter how well it's performed in recent past. Yamaha has a very good package for a quasi-works team, but Despres, I would expect, would want a more robust structure capable of taking the fight to KTM in a meaningful way, not scrapping for day to day stage wins among a handful of fast guys. He wants to be THE fast guy.

Other than the Yamaha name, what would really be his incentive? He wouldn't be guaranteed any real advantage and if he were beaten handily by Coma, or worse, Faria, then it would simply reinforce the notion that leaving KTM was a mistake. Matching a beating Peterhansel's record on a Yamaha would be sweet, but Despres has no Yamaha background, so I suspect it doesn't mean too much to him. I would think he wants to beat the record and will go with his best, long term chance. Honda may be that only option left for that.