Tennessee Plates

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by 8trackmind, Jun 19, 2012.

1. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    oh yeah... :clap

but don't tell anybody! :lol3
  2. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    need some great roads in Middle TN? Try Hwy 99 in Lewis County. Get your map out and find Napier Lake and Big Chief Creek. Absolutely gorgeous through there. Just about any road in Williamson County. They have more dollars than sense in W County, so they paved every goat path they could find. Most of it is nice two lane black top - but there are lots of driveways leading to houses so far off the road you can't see them. The area around Leipers Fork is great, and Pucketts Grocery and the Country Boy restaturant across the road are popular places for bikers to meet on a Saturday morning. Check out Big East Fork Road in W County, one of my favorites but there is some rough pavement in there. Your V-Strom will not mind it though.

There's a road that runs south from Lawranceburg to Iron City. That one is real pretty.

246 south out of Columbia... :clap

129 from Lynnville to Lynchburg is lots of fun...

247 from Spring Hill to Hwy 50. and from there it's just a hop skip jump to the Natchez Trace or to more great roads in Hickman County. Leatherwood Road. Primm Springs Road. Hwy 230 through Littlelot, to Bucksnort and Only. Highway 438 through Coble over to Hwy 13 will have you coming back for more. Be sure to stop at the Cane Creek Market, but bring cash because they don't want your credit card. It's a great place to stop for a cold drink and a snack. Oh yeah, it's Mennonite Country so watch out for the horse biscuits in the road! If you notice the place with the giant chain link fence near the Hickman/Perry county line, you may want to stop to see of the elk are out in the yard. :lol3 Yeah, I'm serious!

I would love to show you around sometime!
  3. 8trackmind

8trackmind Gotta have the funk

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    What! Dammit! I was really looking forward to surprising some other unsuspecting two-wheel future ex-friends. :lol3

Please tell everyone what it feels (felt?) like to pop out of that corner and be half way across that bridge and then wham! "where in the hell did this bridge come from, and why am I on it?"

Thanks. :ilmostro

Too late. I did 'em...and I liked it too. :wink: All were good, but 128 into Clifton, man I was laughing out loud in my helmet I was having so much fun. Good road. Clifton was an interesting little town as well.

I appreciate it. Next time I'm about to head that way I give you a shout.
  4. mrbreeze

Oddometer:

Cool! There used to be a one lane wooden bridge on 128. The first time I ever went thru there it was a complete surprise to me. It was the kind that had the raised planks for the car tires :eek1 unfortunately they "fixed" that one a long time ago.
  5. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Too hot to ride, too bored to stay home. :evil
    [​IMG]

Hopped on the Landshark and headed To Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Raced a train...
    [​IMG]

Won!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the only other guy riding Arkansas 61 this morning
    [​IMG]

Talk about lonely...
    [​IMG]

Saw this creepy guy...again...I think he's stalking me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Oseola, AR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided not to scrap with the feral cat over the pick-a-nic table in Ripley, TN.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New cushy rump-rest pad! The Wal Marts in Memphis don't have much ATV stuff, so when I hit Blytheville I decided to see if'n they be havin' any...It works a lot better than it looks because it's an ADV approved farkle.
    [​IMG]

'Till next time...:shark
    motocopter likes this.
  6. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    So, while the rest of you were out riding awesome roads and exploring the countryside, I was cooking noodles in a rest area 15 miles west of Jackson, TN.
    [​IMG]

With this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...but that's where the story gets interesting.
    While I sit there slurping noodles to the roar of 18 wheel trucks, a fellow walks up to me and asks "where are you headed? " I told the truth and replied "nowhere really" just out and about. He then told me he was headed to Canada. I thought he was pulling my leg at first. Then I looked over my shoulder and spied a 80 something 'Wing with antique plates and a trailer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gilbert AKA "Buffalo Wing" had now piqued my interest. Long story short, he lives very near to Memphis, this was his first big trip, and that rest area was his first stop on the way to Toronto Canada. I make a guest appearance in his story Here at GoldwingFacts.com as the first idiot he encounters on his journey to the great white north.
    motocopter likes this.
  7. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    enjoying report & hate to hear about the bridge
  8. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Me too...Apparently they tore it down because of me. I posted photos of it here and that was pretty much it. I suppose all the publicity generated by my ride report was causing so much excessive wear and tear that the 'ol bridge couldn't handle any more. Sorry guys, I thought I was doing the right thing by sharing and look where that ended up. :rofl
  9. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    So, I'm back on this camping kick. I'm looking to get out this fall when it cools off a bit. In the meantime, I've been scouting out good spots...and cooking. So far noodles and coffee are all I've made. Still fun though. :evil

No camping...yet. Still too hot, but I did head out to Chickasaw State Park to cook more noodles... :dg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did take pictures at the tent camping area though... Had I camped, that would have been the spot.
    [​IMG]
    Long walk to the bathroom...:eek1 (Kidding) :lol3
    [​IMG]
    Noticed quite a bit of new construction in the area. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    motocopter likes this.
  10. red bud

Oddometer:
    i'm hoping to head over there at the end of the month
  11. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    PM me if you want some company. I don't think I drink as much as you, but I'll give it shot. :lol3

Tell Snake to he needs to go too.
  12. red bud

Oddometer:

plan right now (subject to change) if i can get outta work either all day fri or leave early fri, super slab out to clarksville north to oark (to eat at oark cafe) or super slab to pig trail and then north arriving in fayetville in time for harley madness know as bikes, blues & bbq. camp in somebodys yard,

If i can leave early enough get both roads in before dark. But i think thats asking alot.

theres a resturant in jasper that overlooks arknasaws grand canyon? i'd like to hit on the way hom sunday then maybe do 7 down.

you know snake?
  13. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Everybody in Memphis knows Snake.
    If he and the mayor were to appear together, people would say "who's that guy with Snake?" :lol3
    motocopter likes this.
  14. red bud

Oddometer:

:rofl
  15. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    If you've ever seen this thing at any of the OBC stuff, then you probably know me too.
    Very few Smurf Blue 1978 GS1000's in Memphis. :evil
    [​IMG]
    motocopter likes this.
  16. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Ready to roll! (after I get my froo froo coffee creamer from Wal-Mart)
    [​IMG]
    So my story starts in Clifton, Tn (3) because thats where the curvy roads (and historical sidewalks) begin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After some good Middle-TN roads:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Getting late, time to set up camp...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dinner in Hohenwald at the Junkyard dog
    [​IMG]

Oops, almost forgot. Blurry campsite photo.
    [​IMG]

Next morning, hardcore cowboy camp coffee..and creamer.
    [​IMG]
    Aeropress style.
    [​IMG]
    Saw some sights in the park.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To be continued...
    motocopter likes this.
  17. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Just discovered this thread. Great tn travels. Keep it up!
    Come on over the Centerville for Ribfest this October. It's been a. Great weekend. This year, the BMW club has taken it over, but it's still open to all. Great clamping, crowd and roads. Search for it.(sorry...don't have a link handy).
    Next time you head East, ping me...
  18. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I'm trying. :evil
    Found it. Looks to be a real hoot. If I skip Barber this year, I may come annoy you guys.
    http://www.bmwmcon.org/ribfest.php

Day two, the arduous journey back to Casa Del Eightrack.

Hmm, looks like rain.
    [​IMG]

Had to uh...brush my teeth...
    [​IMG]

Did about 100 miles on HWY100 and stopped for vittles in Chickasaw park.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In many ways my months of research and years of pondering had finally paid off. I was able to prepare a few cocktails, sleep well, make coffee, and I was able to get all the crap back on the bike with minimal "Jed Clampetedness". I tried to keep it as simple as I could and so I didn't take a lot of extra stuff. (model rockets, lego set, stamp collection and etchasketch were all left at home...this time)

...So the part I didn't talk about was how it felt to be fairly self sufficient on a bike. I've ridden, and I've camped, but this was the first time to combine the two. I'm sure many of you have done this before, but it was new to me. It was a cool feeling to know that another boundary had been knocked over. Now, I can get snockered, pass out and make coffee...ANYWHERE! Not really, but it does feel good all the same. :rofl
  19. deaconjones

deaconjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found that same bridge (serendipity) 2 or 3 years back and had always planned to go back - alas its gone per one of the posters.

Great thread. You are all over some of my favorite riding areas. Maybe we can score a ride together at some point. Let me show you some riding around Reelfoot Lake and surroundings.
  20. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Sounds good. I might even let you buy me a ham biscuit at the breakfast emporium of your choice. :lol3