Importing dual sports to FL?

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by PineyMountainRacing, Jun 18, 2012.

1. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    Anyone have problems importing a tagged dual sport from another state? For example, a DRZ-E or a XR650-R that was given a dual sport conversion and registered and tagged in NC or TN... I know the FL DMV will want to see the bike and make sure the VIN matches the title, but does the VIN tell them anything about the bikes original off road status. The bike I'm looking at has a regular TN street title, and was actually converted to street legal status by the dealer when it was purchased by the seller.

I've imported bikes before, but they were born "street legal.". And I know guys who have bought similar bikes, but they were already "Florida" bikes and the title transfer was smooth.

Thanks!

PMR
  2. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a XR600 that was titled in Colorado and then brought into Florida. I had no issues transferring the title and getting a new plate. I made sure to get a "quick title" just in case someone in Tallahassee caught it. But, no issues for 2+ years. I know many other people have plated dirt bikes from other states. Florida is pretty lax when it comes to transferring out of state titles.
  3. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Long timer

Oddometer:
    my KLX was tagged in Arizona and brought here with no problems. they just wanted to verify the vin and the mileage.
  4. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Same scenario with me.
  5. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    I think if you've already got your tag and title ordeal done and in hand, very few potential issues with transferring it to your Fl address.
  6. sfront

sfront Chaos in Motion

Oddometer:
    You can actually just download the VIN verification form and
    have any LEO / Notary eyeball the bike and sign the form.
    You don't have to bring it to the DMV at all.
  7. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    I would be buying it from a peep in TN, so I would have to register it and pay the sales tax in FL. I don't actually own the bike now.

Awesome! Printed and ready to go if deal goes thru.
  8. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. I'd do a Bill of Sale; usually you don't need it, but when you do you do. Also consider calling a Florida tag agency, get your ducks in a row.
  9. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Just a follow up, picked up my new to me XR650R in Chattanooga a few weeks ago. Brought it home and had a LEO friend sign the VIN Verification form, went down to the tag office and walked out 10 minutes later with a FL tag- easy peesy. ;-)
  10. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Congrats!! Now go ride the fooker!! :lol3
  11. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    LOL, no problem there. I put almost 1000 on it in NC before I brought it home to register. Good thing no one had to "verify" the odo reading.
  12. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info, i found a 2011 crf450x with street title from another state and plan on buying it this week and importing it into florida