2014 Yamaha Triple: FZ-09 / MT-09

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, May 31, 2013.

1. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    ^Nice custom Ducati. Scrambler? No.
  2. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Oh I knew he wasn't confused, I like boinking him through the ear.
    :1drink
  3. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I forgot for a moment I was on ADV, the biggest boinking forum of the world.
  4. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  5. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
  6. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And now a short break from the "Scrambler Review."

Just got back from a test ride. I was not blown away but it's a very fun bike. It felt firm in the seat and suspension but I was on very smooth roads, for a very short period of time. It felt nice and taught, as I experienced it, but I didn't get to push it or test it on rougher stuff. The engine is strong and responsive but still feels like a (strong) mid-bore. I honestly didn't notice a fueling problem. Just the pretty typical on-off throttle response of most current FI bikes. I didn't think it any worse or troublesome than most others (Again, a short, controlled ride.). It is, of course, very light and flickable. I saw no real world problem w/workable, non-primo brakes. Nothing new to any of that.

The seating position is well up on the front of the bike but quite upright and the leg bend is pretty darn tight (and rear set.). The triangle as a whole is tighter than I expected. A lot of that is just getting used to it but I'm not sure if it'd be problematic or not in the long run (i.e.: ownership). It would surely require more breaks on a longer ride than is ideal for me. Still, for the money, it's pretty hard to argue w/, especially as a run-around, fun bike.

Having said all that, I'm now more interested in the Super Duke than I was. Still leaning to the FZ, but the crack in the door for the SD just blew open a bit further. The plot thickens.

I'm 6'01", 195#, 33" inseam, for those who can use such info. If it helps.
  7. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:

DEAD. TO. ME. :dog

Really pretty clever grafting on the TW200 bits. :lol3
  8. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    It had to be done!
    :evil
  9. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soooooo, tell me, how much would you pay?

Paul
  10. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am perplexed about all these complaints of riding a naked bike on the freeway? I am 6'6" with a 34" inseam, so I am mostly upper body. I ride a naked SV1000 with a small fly screen, just enough to keep the wind blast off most of my chest, and I have no problem cruising 80+ quite comfortably. I also found the FZ had more leg room than my SV, although the bars were a bit close.
  11. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:

^^^^^^^^^win [​IMG]
  12. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    $10k
  13. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    how is that naked?
  14. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    Set up a poll and we will see what everyone thinks...
  15. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    :nod I'm 6' (also 34 inseam) and I have found if I keep the speed below 90mph it's actually more comfortable than most bikes with a screen. You're sitting in clean air and far less turbulence but apart from that it's no real hardship.

Once velocity gets above that it's a different story :deal
  16. Bama67

Bama67 Comfort is for cars

Oddometer:
    I'll keep this short as I have to get caught up on the last season of Dexter, but I finally picked up my #150 Rapid Red FZ-09.

I haven't gotten to ride it much, just a hard 4 hours in the mountains of West Virgina, and Maryland, about 175 miles.

I love it. Power is fantastic, Std Mode is brutal, A mode is nice, just a little abrubt, and B mode is buttery smooth but does take away from the rowdy character. Exhaust has a nice howl.
    Brakes are pretty good, suspension is a little soft, but worked fine for me. But then again I am not an expert rider either. But after the super taut suspension of my Griso, I didn't really mind it. It was never wallowly enough to get upset in hard cornering, but the pavement I was on was very nice.

Took it down one gravel road and it did fine, it rides more like a motard than a sport bike for sure.

I find the bike extremely comfortable. The seat is firm, but doesn't hurt my ass, and the straight up ergos feel refreshing. I have plenty of room on this small bike. I am a fit 185 lbs, and 5'11, and after 4 hours I felt fine and didn't notice any fatigue from the wind. But keep in mind I ride, and prefer, naked bikes. Although I would consider a flyscreen on this bike simply for cosmetic reasons.

I hadn't even seen one of these in person before I picked it up, and I feel it looks great in person, finishes are nice, and I love the little dash screen other than the LCD tach. There is alot of info available on the tiny thing. And of course the rear fender and hyooge scoolbus blinkers have to go.

My only real issue with the bike is the straight cut gear noise. 3rd gear is mildly annoying, and the other gears are slient. That is, til you get to 6th. That sonofabitch wails from 4000-5500 rpm. Right at cruising speed.
    It is so loud, that I preferred to scream along in 5 th unless I was above the 5500ish rpm wail point
    I thought it might be messed up until I found online others saying it is normal.

Even so, I love the bike and have earplugs so I can deal.

Bottom line is, I feel like bike was screaming bargain for the $7266 I paid for it OTD before tax, which is a whopping $180 here. So yeah, I am pleased.:D
  17. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    +1

That's why I got a naked bike.
  18. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shame that we didn't get the rumoured TDM replacement with the new motor. Still - there's always next year..
  19. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    Just took a test ride on one. Wow! Most effortless power wheelies ever in 1-2-3. Fun bike. Not sure my license would survive longer than a week.
  20. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    I went to the dealer who called me to come test out the FZ, today. Wandered all over the floor, but no FZ's. I was told that the first ones were already gone and the next shipment was already asked for, sight unseen.

I guess it was both good and bad for me, today. It kept me from committing to one, when my money supply is currently slim, but, damn, I did want to ride one, so I could throw caution to the wind and take one home with me. Maybe 2014 will be the right year to have one in the garage. tomp dd50